What Line do you use for your....

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cobrar543
Lieutenant

What Line do you use for your....

Post by cobrar543 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:49 am

Getting a new boat, and due to that I want new Rods for the new downriggers. Like my wife said. You want to have new curtains for your new house don't you?? LOL God I love a woman that gives you her blessing for new toys.

While I was picking out line for the new Quantum's, she asked why I was using the line I did. And damn if I know the reason. What I always used seemed to be the answer.

I have always used fluorocarbon for its low visibility and sinking ability. But as I stood there and stared at the 50 different spools on the wall I started to wonder if there wasn't a better choice.

So what is your choice and why? I have always loved the site for information just as much as all the other stuff. Thanks!

Doug

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: What Line do you use for your....

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Depends on the application I guess, which is why I have so many reels... some with braid, some with mono. Fluoro I only use as leader material due to cost.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Lots of guys have made the switch on the DR rods to braid for its lack of stretch and decreased drag through the water. It gives you great hooksets on deep fish if you are fishing for Chinook. The biggest drawbacks are that braid is expensive, and people have a hard time keeping it locked in the downrigger clip. The small diameter slips right out of many commercially available DR clips.

Primarily due to cost , I still run Mono on my DR rods. Maxima ultragreen, 30 lb test. I don't think I've ever lost a fish to a failed mainline in my 15 years of running it.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I run Tuffline XP on all my downrigger rods, including those I use for trout and kokanee. On my light saltwater lines, 30lb rating, I run a 30' topshot of 25lb Maxima Ultragreen which helps with the clip issues. On my heavy lines, 50lb rating, it's braid straight to the terminal tackle and I have had no pre-release issues.

In the long run you'll save with braid as you don't need to change it out nearly as often. I have line that is 8 years old on reels and still going strong. I wind it on tight and retrieve it under tension and have never had it "dig in" and cause me to lose a fish.

rusty
Petty Officer

Post by rusty » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:59 pm

If you intend to fish for salmon keep in mind braid will hold scent. If you use braid be careful where you store your reels so the braid does not absorb unwanted odors. I try and put a lot of effort keeping my gear clean and it has helped my success rate significantly.