Sea Bass?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ResQ
Commander

Sea Bass?

Post by ResQ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am

Do Sea Bass still bite strong in the winter? Silly question Im sure, as ocean temps vary slightly.

schu7498
Commander

Re: Sea Bass?

Post by schu7498 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:57 am

If you can find a break in the weather, wind, and tides, winter sea bass can be great! Hardly anyone fishes winter so the schools replenish, and bigger bass move in. Buzzbombs work great, twitching small 3" minnows on bottom to mimic shrimp can be great too. And if I was you Id jig up some squid and try drop shotting them from the jetty.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:57 am

Well, hopefully we can get a few then. lol. Ive never fished them this early, but need a break in salmon fishing with the runs being all weird. Buzz bombs huh? Ive never fished a buzz. Color? Size? Do you just cast and twitch?

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:16 am

Yeah, pop it up and let it flutter down, rinse and repeat as you retrieve it back to you. Mimics an injured bait fish as it's fluttering down.

fishing magician
Petty Officer

Post by fishing magician » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:20 pm

I use the Mack's Lure Sonic Baitfish and usually i can't even hit bottom before I get a fish on. Anywhere rocky is where to be.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:04 am

Yeah, one thing I learned last season, if you've worked the water column and aren't getting bit....move. Those bass are so aggressive that they will gulp your offering if they are there. When you find a school on the charter boats, it's like the magician said, you can't even hardly drop your gear down before a fish grabs on. Fishing from the jetty isn't any different, if you find them, they will take just about anything.

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 am

ResQ,
Did you have any luck off the Jetty for sea bass? I am heading down to Ocean Shores in a couple weeks and thought I might try my luck off the jetty there. Any additional tips appreciated.
Thanks,
Omar