Tipping a jig with bait?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
denhambruce
Petty Officer

Tipping a jig with bait?

Post by denhambruce » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Basically the title explains itself. Just wanna know people's thoughts on this when targeting Steelhead

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Tipping a jig with bait?

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm in favor, not that I've caught any steelhead to prove it helps. Little piece of cyred and scented prawn can't hurt...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

gsus32
Petty Officer

Post by gsus32 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:22 pm

It can't hurt I've caught some with shrimp tip jigs and I got two today with out the shrimp

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:50 pm

I've caught them with and without. Can't say it definitely makes a difference, but can't say it hurts either. I use raw prawns cured overnight with just a little sea salt. I usually will add some prawn if the plain jig isn't doing the trick. Caught a 5" sculpin today after adding some prawn....guess I can at least say I didn't get skunked!

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:05 am

I think in really cold conditions it can give a fish that little extra motivation to check out your presentation.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:09 am

I always tip my jig with cured prawn (my secret recipe). My theory is that I don't necessarily believe the prawn tipped jig will out fish an un-baited one just because I've seen my prawn fly off the hook while casting and still gotten bit. I DO believe however that once that float goes down having the prawn on there gives you that extra second to set the hook before they spit it.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:09 am

Cool stuff, I've been fishing cured prawn a lot recently for fall chum but looks like I'll have to continue that well into the winter!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:19 am

Bait buttons work really well at keeping shrimp at upper end of hook shank.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Both work. I hhave found sand shrimp not only work, but work much better than cured shrimp or none at all on the coast.

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:51 pm

natetreat wrote:Both work. I hhave found sand shrimp not only work, but work much better than cured shrimp or none at all on the coast.
Totally agree with this as never had much luck with cured shrimp but go to shrimp has always been small sand shrimp!

gsus32
Petty Officer

Post by gsus32 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:57 am

I've never tryed sand shrimp so I want to give it a shot so you guys cut the sand shrimp into pieces or throw the whole shrimp on