jet motor winter maintenance help

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

jet motor winter maintenance help

Post by Bmastro777 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Hey guys - So as this is my first season running the river in winter, what do you guys do to keep your outboards from freezing up after day to day use? And is it a different process for a jet motor? I have to store my boat outside. Thanks guys.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: jet motor winter maintenance help

Post by Bodofish » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Bmastro777 wrote:Hey guys - So as this is my first season running the river in winter, what do you guys do to keep your outboards from freezing up after day to day use? And is it a different process for a jet motor? I have to store my boat outside. Thanks guys.
I'm sorry, I should have said, for a jet.....
Absolutely nothing. They're self winterizing. Just grease it like you normally should. If it's really cold, put it in the water for 5-10 minutes before starting.

But for your kicker, make sure the water pump is thawed before you try to start it. It should drain completely also.
Last edited by Bodofish on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by downriggeral » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 pm

I fish a lot in the winter freezing temperatures. I ALWAYS lower the motors once in the parking lot after I take the boat out. The water will drain out while you tie down the boat and get ready to go. Once drained you can tilt them back up for travel. Have had no issues doing it that way.
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 pm

thanks guys

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Just like said about and when you get home put your outboards/sterndrives in the down position that way if it gets rained on they wont fill up with water and freeze up.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 am

Best way to "winterize" the boat? Go fishing.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Matt wrote:Best way to "winterize" the boat? Go fishing.
X100
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:20 am

I talked to a friend of mine and he likes to lift his pump up and then back down just to make sure since the pump is usually in the down position all the time.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 am

Idstud wrote:I talked to a friend of mine and he likes to lift his pump up and then back down just to make sure since the pump is usually in the down position all the time.
Just curious, what's that supposed to do?

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks again. I just bought a 25hp mercury jet efi 2014 model for my 1448 alumacraft. Awesome. Brought it to sammamish yesterday for a good break in. I'm ready for the river :) prolly have to wait a few days now though from the flooding :(

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:25 am

Bodofish wrote:
Idstud wrote:I talked to a friend of mine and he likes to lift his pump up and then back down just to make sure since the pump is usually in the down position all the time.
Just curious, what's that supposed to do?
Just to make sure there isnt any water holding any where. I know hes just extra cautious.