Non Ethanol users?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
BARCHASER10
Captain

Non Ethanol users?

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Just curious about how many outboard owners have switched to E0. I switched this summer and after all the bad stuff about the E10 effect on outboards I feel pretty good about it. I have my boat moored at the Everett Marina right now and they have E0 at the gas dock but kinda spendy, $4.35.

Before I moored it at Everett I bought E0 at a mom and pop gas station on Broadway in Everett, which was cheaper. I ran 35 gallons through my Yamis from that gas station and the motors ran like a dream. This is a link that tells where E0 is available all over the US including the station on Broadway in Everett.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bruceka49
Angler

Re: Non Ethanol users?

Post by bruceka49 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I bought a Lund boat with a 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha two years ago. When I bought it the owner confessed that it started and ran well but couldn't accelerate hard from a dead stop without stalling out. You couldn't go full throttle from a dead stop. I have run more than 50 gallons of mid grade ethanol free gas through it and it is cured of that issue. I only use ethanol free now!!

salmonbarry
Warrant Officer

Post by salmonbarry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:59 pm

I only use ethanol free gas as well on both my motors and they have never run better. There is a place right next to my works wharehouse on 70th in Fife owned by Tahoma that offers it so easy for me to take my tanks and fill up~ and not too far from Sportco if you are in the area shopping!

steelseeker
Petty Officer

Post by steelseeker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:08 pm

I only use non ethanol and have for five years now.when I got my 7.5honda it was finicky but now idles fine, with deadpan every now and then she runs fine!

steelseeker
Petty Officer

Post by steelseeker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:09 pm

I only use non ethanol and have for five years now.when I got my 7.5honda it was finicky but now idles fine, with seafoam every now and then she runs fine!

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:25 am

Cool thanks.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:12 pm

I hate corn gas. I don't know whether to blame the environmental crowd or the Archer Daniels Midland farm lobby, probably both. E0 should be more easily available. But AJ's Gas and Smoke Shop on Broadway in Everett seems to do a good biz, so good for him!

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:57 pm

I also use ethanol free gas for the outboard. I get mine from Grangers in Issaquah.

duffy
Petty Officer

Post by duffy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:01 pm

It took quite a while for us to be able to get it over here on the dry side but that's all I run now in all my small engines. My lawn mower will now idle and I can actually get two more mowings on a tank. My air compressor engine would die when the compressor would kick in and now that runs fine with E0 and the same with all the other small engines. The distributor here said it all depends on if they have any at the rack when they get there with the tanker. Think it was all a gimmick, they said it was for cleaner air but in all actuality you burn more for the same HP so I guess they could then say that fuel usage was up and we need to cut back. All a bunch of BS, just give me good gas for my rigs and quit screwing with stuff.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 pm

If ever on Camano Island, Huntings store on the west side of the island. Never 10%

moocherman
Angler

Post by moocherman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:32 pm

I learned my lesson a few years back, to the tune of a good chuck of $$$. I will NEVER use anything but pure gas in any of my power equipment. My truck and car are just fine with corn gas...The End

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Amen! I just wish there were more E zero stations. Most of them seem to be in smaller towns. The one in Everett is kinda convenient for me, but I wish there was a E0 station around Bothell or Woodinville.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:10 pm

don't know maybe I am just lucky but I have used ethanol fuel in all of my equ and my boat , 90 hp merk, 4 stroke for all of their lives with no problems, but I run sea foam in all the tanks.......

Nerka
Angler

Post by Nerka » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:35 am

stryker17 wrote: but I run sea foam in all the tanks.......
My understanding is that having the 2 or 4 stoke oil mix, or seafoam for that matter, with your gas eliminates the ethanol issue.
Can anyone else vouch for me on this?
Richard

Let's go fishing!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:43 am

I don't know either, I just started using E0 last summer. I never used Seafoam but I did always use marine Stabil and Yamaha additive. It may be my imagination but the two Yamis on my Seahawk seemed to run better with E0. I do think if you can find an E0 station convenient for you, it is better to go that way. It costs a little more but not that much really.

From what I hear the dollar cost from E0 damage will make you pucker, so if an E0 station is convenient, why not?.

salmonbarry
Warrant Officer

Post by salmonbarry » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:18 pm

I am not sure either but I can tell you from my experience after having to replace all my fuel lines due to damage from ethanol fuel, have been running ethanol free since and have not had a single motor issue at all.
There is one in Fife right next our wharehouse on 70th that is run by Tahoma gas next to Us Foods. There are 2 pumps that offer ethanol free and today was at $2.59
Now it is 87 octane and a guy told me there that was filling his tank there is one in Auburn that offers a 92 octane so if anyone has info on that would be great to know the address!

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:46 pm

The link provided above will give your answer salmonbaryy, its

Auburn CENEX 92 Cenex 253-833-7220 238 8th St Se 2015-01-27 details
Auburn CFN 87 92 Fuel Farm 253-939-3570 325 C St Nw 2014-04-28 details

I always run E0 and get mine in Puyallup southhill station. It has come down in the past month filled up all my cans and now I am ready for the fish to start bitting..lol.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 am

i've been using the cheap stuff at araco for atleast 20 years most the time on 4 different motors and ethanol free from pt.defiance a few times and never noticed anything different. 1987 20hp Suzuki 2 stroke, 2005 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke, 1989 3.5 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, 1978 6hp Evinrude. my 2010 20hp Yamaha 4 stroke has had nothing but ethanol free pt. defiance gas since the boat its on was moored there from new until last may. makes me think its all in peoples heads that its bad.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:07 am

Nerka wrote:
stryker17 wrote: but I run sea foam in all the tanks.......
My understanding is that having the 2 or 4 stoke oil mix, or seafoam for that matter, with your gas eliminates the ethanol issue.
Can anyone else vouch for me on this?
Yeah, I can. Mixing oil with your fuel does NOT do anything to eliminate ethanol concerns. Using a fuel stabilizer is recommended regardless whether you use "corn" fuel or "pure" gas and the stabilizer needs to be added when the fuel goes in the tank. Stabilizer helps prevent octane degradation, some also claim to help offset effects of ethanol and "prevent" phase separation (none really do). If you buy "pure" gas and use Seafoam you've just added alcohol to your high dollar, alcohol free fuel. [rolleyes]

Modern marine engines will not be adversely affected from the use of up to 10% ethanol since the engine's fuel systems should be ethanol compliant - check with your engine manufacturer to know for certain. Even if safe for your engine, it does not mean your boat's fuel system components may necessarily be ethanol safe, so you'll need to verify the lines from your tank to your motor, and everything in between (including the priming bulb) are safe for use with ethanol. For example, my boat did not have ethanol approved fuel line from the tank to the fuel barbs on my motors and neither of my priming bulbs were ethanol safe either, however, both my motors are approved for use with ethanol concentrations up to 10%. Why my dealer chose to use non ethanol safe lines is beyond me. [thumbdn]

I don't spend extra for "pure" gas, both my motors have been fed ethanol "enhanced" fuel since day one, and I've never had an issue. Although there may be a slight performance advantage using "pure" gas vs as ethanol "enhanced" fuel, for me, it's not worth going out of my way to buy it. [wink]

Btw, do not fall victim to the premium is better trap. If your motor does not require premium, do not use it. You may actually create problems and lose performance if you do. This is especially true with computer controlled engines today, the PCM calibration is specific to the recommended octane, so using fuel more than one octane level higher than recommended can result in poor performance and an increase in carbon deposits, especially if you spend a lot of time trolling or running at very slow speeds. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by downriggeral » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:11 pm

I run a Evinrude E-Tec and a Yamaha T8. All of my fuel system in the old Satrcraft has been upgraded to the ethanol compliant product. Evinrude recommends the use of 2 plus 4 fuel treatment. I have used it for years in ethanol fuel. I treat every drop, year around. No issues, works for me.
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor