An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SCLipRipper
Angler

Post by SCLipRipper » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:37 pm

Good evening everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a southern boy who is an avid bass angler who is a little bit out of my comfort zone moving up here to beautiful Washington. I am really looking forward to learning how to catch bronze backs and hoping I can learn to catch a few of the other game fish that call this area home. I live in Federal Way and just recently sold my fiberglass boat back in Georgia - just bought a Tracker 175 TXW with a Merc 60 on the back that I will be fishing out of. I plan to hit American Lake pretty hard because it is close and I can get on the water quick and easy at Russel Landing. I definitely plan to branch out to other bodies of water once I figure this deep clear stuff out though. Any recommendations on where to go?

I plan to fish throughout the winter when the weather isn't brutal and hopefully catch a fat girl or two once I figure out what I am doing. I am pretty comfortable drop shotting, so I plan to start out focusing heavy on that, maybe dragging a big football jig around. Anyone throw flutter spoons in deep water here? I have never really thrown one, but am thinking it might be worth trying out.

I look forward to keeping up with this site and hopefully developing some new skills. If anyone has any tips that you think could be helpful for someone new to the area, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: New Member

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:43 am

I do my best this time of year, and thru the winter, retrieving real slow. And dead sticking it quite a bit. I'm sure you know how to do all that.

Dropshot did good for me last year, and I hadn't winter fished since the mid '90s. I'll probably fish a little this winter, but not as much as last winter, I don't think.

Find some rock piles/fields and spend lots of time there. I've done better the past month on flats rather than steep drops, with or without rocks. Others have caught Bass on the rocks.

Deep, down to about 30 feet, and as shallow as 12 feet recently, as in this month dropshotting. Smallies and Largies.

Depending on the lake of course, as you well know, most lakes have their own particulars. lol

Dropshot, football head jigs, carolina rigs, crankbaits, can all work in the winter in the clear water in this state. The Bass will come shallow now and then, you can even catch them around docks with plastic worms, so I hear, I've not even used plastic worms in the winter, except on the dropshot. Some weeds will stay green during the winter so watch for them, and fish them. I've caught Largies around weeds in the winter back in the '90s, but the lake I fish has changed due to a sewage treatment plant failing back in the '90s and the lake has gone downhill ever since, and is less than 1/4 the lake it used to be. And I know nothing about American Lake. Be sure to read as many of the 'fishing/lake reports' on American that you can, good info in those reports.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Welcome to the WL.com family SCL. Exactly what Amx said. He has spent the time on the water and knows what he is talking about. Check out all the reports for American and pm the members that know that lake. I think you would be surprised at the response. We all like to help each other out here and someone will show you the ropes for that lake. Quality smallies in that lake too. Toni is on that body of water a lot.
The few times I have been fishing for bass on American the best spots I found was the north side of the island, the point just north of the island (on the WL.com topo map it would be by the red W), also the North cove. Speaking of the north cove, looking at the map in that area you will see a perfect circle topographical line in that area, this is your x marks the spot. Work towards that point. And don't disregard open water.
If you look at the topo map, print it and study it, I would even suggest laminating it and taking it with you on the water.

fishnislife

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Yes, take a copy of the map with you. I like to make notes on a map as I find new stuff.
Tom.

SCLipRipper
Angler

Post by SCLipRipper » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome and information.

Got out on American Lake today, primarily focusing on breaking in the Mercury (when I say that, getting skunked doesn't feel quite as bad). I did fish, all day, with no success - humbling to spend that much time on the water and not get so much as a good bite... Not the first time though and I am sure not the last.

Marked a few fish here and there, no big groups or clusters though. No bait fish, just an arch here and an arch there. I tried to hit up every major feature on that topographical map I could, and really tried to familiarize myself with the lake. I found myself thinking I was going a bit fast, which I am sure means I was and that I may have been focusing a bit shallow, pretty much targeting the 15-25 ft depth range, went as deep as 40... Guess old habits are hard to break. Saw a lot of things that would have been money in 55* water back home, but they seemed to be void of all life.

Good thing I am too dumb to quit, can't wait to get out there and take my lumps and hopefully catch my first WA bass.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Maybe call and talk to Chris - the manager, or Russ - the owner, at Limit Out Performance Marine. They can tell you about American Lake and where to fish and how to fish it.

http://www.limitoutmarine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Limit Out also has a clinic/seminar now and then, ask about that also. Bass gear, boat mechanical work, and Bass Boats too.
Tom.

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:50 pm

SC,

Welcome!!! I to am a transplanted southerner who has lived here for 25+ years and am owner of Limit Out Marine a Phoenix & Skeeter bass boat dealer who also sells a ton of bass tackle specifically geared for NW waters. Chris and I would be glad to help you on what to use for bronze backs up here as we are both avid tournament anglers.

Russ