Jig Trailer

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Jig Trailer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:59 am

I got a quick question, is it legal to fish a trailer off your jig on the skykomish and the wallace river? I've heard you can and others said you can't. Thanks guys and gals!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Jig Trailer

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:02 am

What is your definition of 'trailer'? A dropper line with it's own jig and hook, or a plastic/rubber worm threaded/hooked onto the hook of the jig?
Tom.

Interests: living

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:07 am

Yeah a dropper line off the hook of the jig

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:17 am

Anti-snagging rule requires one single point hook unless using a buoyant lure. I'd say that means no trailer hooks.

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:20 am

Ok thanks

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:25 am

not while the anti snagging rule is in effect which is through the end of this month.

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Ohh ok so its open for steelhead

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:34 pm

its been open for Steelhead since June 1st......

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Like others have said, check for the particular river as to when the anti snagging rule ends, and then I believe you can have up to 3 hooks per line...It may be 2, not looking at the regs at this moment.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:04 pm

And what part of each river, the sky has at least 3 parts/sections listed, and the wallace has at least 2 parts/sections listed.
Tom.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:15 pm

a bobber or float would considered a buoyant lure, this year on the skok I asked the game warden if we are allowed to use a bait for bobber and eggs since technically the weight has to be 12inches away but he said it is fine, so my guess goes the same with the trailer to like a bead or something. honestly I don't think game wardens really care what you use if you are using a bobber, most of these regs are in place to stop or cut down further snagging. but most places after Nov 30 you can use just about anything anyways

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:36 am

"With no weight attached". Sorry Bonker, but the letter of the law says different. No droppers unless there are no salmon in the river.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:48 am

Springer Jerry wrote:
natetreat wrote:"With no weight attached". No droppers unless there are no salmon in the river.
Where did you read that?
It's part of the Anti-snagging definition:
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 9.45.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 9.45.48 AM.png (28.84 KiB) Viewed 4282 times

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 am

Springer Jerry wrote: I know that! I was talking about no droppers if there is salmon in the river.
Oh, [laugh]. I imagine Nate is implying that the rule expires when the salmon runs are mostly expired.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:58 am

Where did you read that?
It's part of the Anti-snagging definition:
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 9.45.48 AM.png
I know that! I was talking about no droppers if there is salmon in the river.

Then you need to only quote that part of the sentence that you want an answer to.

such as;

"No droppers unless there are no salmon in the river."
Tom.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:39 pm

a jig isn't a weight, its a lure

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:26 am

A float or bobber are not lures. There talking about plugs that float unless your pulling them so they submerge. The jig being the lure, that isn't buoyant you can only use one hook when the anti snagging rule is in effect.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:27 pm

I tie Trailer hooks on mine all the time. Get some Senyo wire loop it through the head before you pour the jig, fasten it to the shank and bam you are ready to rock and roll.

The regs clearly say that you can do this if you are trolling from a boat or floating device and since I mostly snap jigs from my driftboat I figured I am good to go. I got a ticket for this the other day but the judge threw it out because I convinced him that I was trolling.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Seems we get this debate all the time, can we all atleast agree that the anti snagging rule is probably the most convoluted piece of garbage in the reg book? I understand its intent, but it is already illegal to snag fish, how about we enforce on intent instead of gear? For example, look how people "fish" the samish. A giant halibut jig sitting on the bottom with a float on top. Bobber goes down, and bam! You just grabbed a chinook in the face! Obviously snagging. But the gear and setup they are using is completely legal. Meanwhile the guy fishing a bead on a trailer who is clearly not trying to snag could potentially get popped by a warden.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:31 pm

jumpinjim wrote:I tie Trailer hooks on mine all the time. Get some Senyo wire loop it through the head before you pour the jig, fasten it to the shank and bam you are ready to rock and roll.

The regs clearly say that you can do this if you are trolling from a boat or floating device and since I mostly snap jigs from my driftboat I figured I am good to go. I got a ticket for this the other day but the judge threw it out because I convinced him that I was trolling.
I think you're lucky the judge didn't have a copy of the regs or understand fishing technique and there were no wdfw folks in attendance. Casting a jig is a bit of a stretch to describe as trolling.
Although trolling is defined as:
"Trolling: Fishing from a vessel that is underway and under power"
It's generally acknowledged as dragging some sort of lure behind the boat or floating device, not repeatedly casting from the vessel. Especially one that's drifting.

As I read it, no jig will ever fall into the anti snagging category as the weight is on the hook, not a minimum of 12" up the line.

Anti-Snagging Rule Except when fishing with
a buoyant lure (with no weights added to the
line or lure), or trolling from a vessel or floating
device, terminal fishing gear is restricted to a
lure or bait with one single-point hook.
Hooks
must measure ¾" or less from point to shank,
and must be attached to or below the lure or
bait. Weights may not be attached below or less
than 12" above the lure or bait.

None the less, great job on getting it tossed out! Always a good victory to not be rubber stamped.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!