Tying Jigs?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ResQ
Commander

Tying Jigs?

Post by ResQ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Just curious, who ties their own twitching jigs? I am contemplating doing it, but am wondering if it is a cost savings to tie your own vs purchasing them for about $3.90 a piece? I understand it is an art form / hobby, but if buying them is cheaper, then I will just go that route. It seems pretty simple. And this is initial cost aside. Cabelas has a full starter set for like $30.00.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Tying Jigs?

Post by BentRod » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:13 pm

I tie my own. I already had a fly tying kit, so didn't have to purchase one. The start up with materials and all is pretty expensive unless you stick to one basic pattern/color, but I do believe that it's cost effective in the long run if you're a big jig fisherman. I use twitching jigs a lot for the Coho season as well as float Steelhead jigs in the winter. Although I still hate losing a jig, especially if it's a good producer, I'm happy that I can just go build another and don't feel like I'm out much $ when I do lose one. Marabou and rabbit fur go a long way, so those materials are not expensive in the long run, but the jig heads can be spendy depending on what/where you purchase. You can order them in bulk online to cut costs down, but so far I've spent a little more and just bought locally. I tend not to lose to many jigs, so it's acceptable to me. I'd like to get into pouring my own and powder coating, but that's more $ invested in supplies, so have not been able to justify it yet.
…..and, there is something very satisfying about hooking a fish on something you created. :cheers:

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 pm

ResQ wrote:Just curious, who ties their own twitching jigs? I am contemplating doing it, but am wondering if it is a cost savings to tie your own vs purchasing them for about $3.90 a piece? I understand it is an art form / hobby, but if buying them is cheaper, then I will just go that route. It seems pretty simple. And this is initial cost aside. Cabelas has a full starter set for like $30.00.
In the long run it is definitely cheaper to tie your own.

The further back in the process you start, the higher your startup costs are, but the cheaper your per cost is down the road.

If you plan to buy painted jigs, your per jig cost will be higher, but your startup is just the vise and tying material.

If you plan to paint your own jigs, then add paint, thinner, etc. to your startup costs, but in the long run your per jig price will be lower than if you were to buy painted jigs

If you plan to pour your own lead.... well, you get the picture [wink]

I chose to buy bare jigs, paint and tie my own. My initial startup costs were probably about $200-$250 5 years ago and my per jig cost now is probably $.05 to $.10 plus the cost of the jig itself.

Then the other aspect is your time. For me it takes about 45 minutes (not including drying time) for me to paint (vinyl paint - white/color/clear) 200 jigs and about 2 minutes to tie my go-to patterns.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

Post by SkyRiverMan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:14 pm

I do my own too - i'm in the same range of about 5-10 cents of materials on a jig - I also do bare jigs from the internet too (about $10-12 per 50 on 2x strong Steelhead hooks - don't make mistake of wimpy hooks). I use a can of white spray paint primer if any paint at all. marabou is about 2.50-4 bucks a bunch, and that goes a long way. Rabbit is cheap.

to get started all you really need is a cheap fly vise ($15-20) and bobbin ($3-5). you probably already have scissors and some thread..steal some fingernail polish from a girl and there's your basic equipment. Jigs are the big expense. I figure I have about 30-35 cents of real money into a jig at the most. you can bust a jig out in a minute (jijgs for pinks), or spend 45 minutes dinking around making the super fancy just perfect jig with the feathers just so - whatever you like... mostly it's fun, and satisfying to catch a fish on your own stuff... Over time you'll accumulate a bunch of different materials - you don't need a ton of stuff to start...

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:59 pm

I do it all from pouring the jigs to tying them and honestly the hardest part is finding the lead. the jigs are a lot cheaper to make then buy and the satisfaction you get when you catch fish on your home made gear never gets old. this year for me I have been killing coho on the most simple style of jigs: chenille body and marabou tail. been doing better on that combo than all my rabbit fur creations so far, only bad thing about twitching jigs is that you go through a lot more material especially marabou but lucky for me I work at a sporting goods store who has a pretty good selection of tying materials and I can get them for a lot cheaper, but for most part yes tying jigs is a lot cheaper, I figure I make a twitching jigs for $2-2.50 and that includes: hook, lead, electricity to melt lead, jig paint, and tying material. that extra 2 dollars they are selling that for is both labor and what the store is trying to make off of you

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Lead is cheap at any recycling center. A cheap vise, some unpainted jig heads, a thingy for the thread and a pack of pink marabou and pink powder coat will set you back 50-75 bucks to get you started.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Yes the Bobbin a mush have but don't forget the Crystal Flash and for garsh sakes don't think all Boo is the same quality, pick through those packs to find the real goods, Thin quills and lofty plumes!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:43 pm

It is a major savings. I pour, paint, tie. The most expensive part of the jig is the hook. Paint, lead, materials, all cheap compared to the hook. Mustad 32833 is all I use and is very cost effective for strong, sharp hooks.

Might start with purchasing painted jig heads. Then you can put your efforts to tying, once you determine you like tying jigs, then invest in lead melting equipment, molds, powder paint, ect. There is a learning curve on all parts of the process, so best to keep it simple.

If you decide to pour lead, go with a bottom pour pot.
r9-29-14 jig pic 002.jpg
r9-29-14 jig pic 002.jpg (128.46 KiB) Viewed 5080 times

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Thats a beautiful jig!!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:21 am

goodtimesfishing wrote:Might start with purchasing painted jig heads. Then you can put your efforts to tying, once you determine you like tying jigs
That is what I did. I started out buying a 3-pack of painted jig heads & some pink rabbit fur (thinking whatever I tie, as long as it is pink I can use it for humpies). Then took some thread from my wife's sewing stuff and her clear nail polish, went out to the garage, put the jig in my big ol anvil vice and started playing around. No tools, just my hands.
From there I bought a fly tying kit for about $35 that had a vise and all the little tools in it. Then moved on to a better vise, then started painting, etc..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

drycreekvalley
Petty Officer

Post by drycreekvalley » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:05 am

Since I tie flies the jump over to tying jigs was small. Loads of fun and very satisfying when you hook a fish on a jig you tied yourself. Recently started powder coating my own and that has been fun as well.

Quick question for you guys: Do you mind sharing good online sources for unpainted jigs with stout hooks? I have been paying between 50-80 cents a piece. That seems a bit high and since i am probably tying more than I could ever use...it's addicting, I am looking for other sources.

Also, here is a recent tie of mine.
Attachments
Jig.JPG
Jig.JPG (96.47 KiB) Viewed 4977 times

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:01 am

Springer Jerry wrote:
goodtimesfishing wrote:It is a major savings. I pour, paint, tie. The most expensive part of the jig is the hook. Paint, lead, materials, all cheap compared to the hook. Mustad 32833 is all I use and is very cost effective for strong, sharp hooks.

Might start with purchasing painted jig heads. Then you can put your efforts to tying, once you determine you like tying jigs, then invest in lead melting equipment, molds, powder paint, ect. There is a learning curve on all parts of the process, so best to keep it simple.

If you decide to pour lead, go with a bottom pour pot.
r9-29-14 jig pic 002.jpg
Although I prefer a bigger hook I would definitely fish that jig. That color blue should work in all water clarities.
The hook on that one is a 2/0 mustad 32833. That color was hands down with out a doubt the best color in the stilly last year. This season the stilly is tough but that is the jig I caught first silver in the stilly this season. In my opinion, blue is the most over looked color.
drycreekvalley wrote:Since I tie flies the jump over to tying jigs was small. Loads of fun and very satisfying when you hook a fish on a jig you tied yourself. Recently started powder coating my own and that has been fun as well.

Quick question for you guys: Do you mind sharing good online sources for unpainted jigs with stout hooks? I have been paying between 50-80 cents a piece. That seems a bit high and since i am probably tying more than I could ever use...it's addicting, I am looking for other sources.

Also, here is a recent tie of mine.
Anyone that is looking for bare or painted or completed for that matter can PM me and I can provide you with a good price. I have sold some to others on this site in the past. I have several molds from standard round head to recessed eyes to pony with blade(road runner by Blakemore style) ultra minnow and more.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:34 am

I've been using the 1/4 oz painted Aerojig heads. They're just under $1 each. However, they are not really 1/4 oz. All the ones I've bought have been under 1/4 oz actual weight. They only come with a 1/0 Gami hook, but they've done the job for me the last few years hooking many Coho. This year I bought some unpainted heads by another manufacturer that came with a 1/0 hook and also were 1/4 oz. Not only were they truly 1/4 oz, but the hooks were nearly twice the size of the Gami 1/0 advertised on the Aerojig package. I didn't start using them till the end of the good bite this season, so have yet to hook a fish on one, but they seem to fish well. I do like the lighter Aerojig heads though for the shallower swifter water as they seem to hang a little longer between twitches. As I said, they've worked well up till this point, so why mess with a good thing? But, the out of pocket cost is a little high too and it's nice to have some variety in the tackle box.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Ie been using those 4/0 Gami heavy wire hook, freaking love them, super sharp and strong enough to not bend on a fish but will bend out on snags. 4/0 are nice when fishing super long tails

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Ok, so I caved and got a tying kit with some stuff to make some 1/4 ounce twitchers. That was the largest size cabelas had. I may take you up on that purchasing of jigs! I tied up 3 right when I got home. First two, I couldnt get the twisting of the maribou down. Third one i did!! Pretty excited. I think for my first time, it looks pretty good!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:36 pm

[thumbup] Looks good!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:32 pm

3rd one looks like that? Great job! Looks great! Wait till you catch a fish with a jig you tied......very satisfying! What is real cool is finding a pattern that the fish love and works when nothing else is working.

Live2Fish4Life
Petty Officer

Post by Live2Fish4Life » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Very nice! That will definitely fish. Welcome to the club! You are officially addicted now.

I love pouring, painting and tying my own jigs. Nothing more satisfying that catching fish on the gear you made! Enjoy the experience.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Yeah, this is pretty fun! I ran out of jigs lol I could only get a couple 1/4 ounce jigs with 1/0 hooks. EVERYONE is out. Sportsmans stopped carrying them. Here is the last two :-) Go Hawks!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Yup, your addicted. That didn't take long. [flapper]