Outboard jet Impeller replacement

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
chongo469
Commander

Outboard jet Impeller replacement

Post by chongo469 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:56 pm

I am putting a new impeller in my jet unit. I am pretty good with a wrench but dont have a clue on replacing the impeller and shims... anyone have any knowledge or info they can give me.... Its on a 1982 Johnson 70 hp.....

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Outboard jet Impeller replacement

Post by BentRod » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:40 pm

chongo469 wrote:I am putting a new impeller in my jet unit. I am pretty good with a wrench but dont have a clue on replacing the impeller and shims... anyone have any knowledge or info they can give me.... Its on a 1982 Johnson 70 hp.....
Look around on YouTube. There is usually at least one video on impeller replacement for the various brands/vintage/HPs.
You can also view the entire OMC repair manual online. Can't find the site, but think I have the link somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:04 am

Here it is:

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/man ... nrude.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like it's got a section on servicing the jet drive. I know you can print the pages you're interested in from this site as well.
Hope that helps.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 am

Take a look on iboats. I have always got good info there.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Only one company makes outboard jet pumps. outboaedjets.com Have a good look at the jetkit/misc instructions and the FAQ's before you get rolling on the project.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Pulled the Impeller today... Not a bad project at all... didnt do a replacement, just sharpened and re-shimmed.... very easy job and done and put back together in under 2 hours..... i just decided it was time to just do it without instruction and low and behold, a lot easier than i thought it would be....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:21 pm

didn't think you'd have any trouble. Pretty straight forward. Shims, feelers and of to the races.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!