Twitching Jigs for Coho article

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Twitching Jigs for Coho article

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:57 am

Just published, a nice primer on using this technique for coho:

http://washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=603

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Twitching Jigs for Coho article

Post by BentRod » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:26 am

Great article! The details are spot on.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:33 am

Great article, but I would like to add something to the part about using braid. When using braid in the river you should ALWAYS have some leader on the end of your main line. NOT because coho are line shy, in my opinion they will still hit jig even with high-vis braid tied straight to jig. However if you are going to twitch jigs where the coho sit....you will at some point snag a log, tree roots in water, or low hanging branch, etc., when this happens you will at some point have to break off your line. If you have a lighter leader then your main line, you will not lose any braid to the river. I think we have all seen lengths of braid in the river and it can really ruin a honey hole! What I do is attach about 8-10 feet of maxima to my braid with a blood knot(I run 20# fireline or pp main line and 10# maxima leader) when I get hung up and need to break off, I don't leave braid all over the river. This will also keep your reel topped off for max casting distance. When losing lengths of your main line to the river, before you know it your spool is low on line and does not cast well. Do use braid but do use a leader!
tight lines!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:41 am

goodtimesfishing wrote:Great article, but I would like to add something to the part about using braid. When using braid in the river you should ALWAYS have some leader on the end of your main line. NOT because coho are line shy, in my opinion they will still hit jig even with high-vis braid tied straight to jig. However if you are going to twitch jigs where the coho sit....you will at some point snag a log, tree roots in water, or low hanging branch, etc., when this happens you will at some point have to break off your line. If you have a lighter leader then your main line, you will not lose any braid to the river. I think we have all seen lengths of braid in the river and it can really ruin a honey hole! What I do is attach about 8-10 feet of maxima to my braid with a blood knot(I run 20# fireline or pp main line and 10# maxima leader) when I get hung up and need to break off, I don't leave braid all over the river. This will also keep your reel topped off for max casting distance. When losing lengths of your main line to the river, before you know it your spool is low on line and does not cast well. Do use braid but do use a leader!
tight lines!

Great point. Some people say by tying the braid directly to the jig you can bend the hook out on any snag, but if the lead gets stuck or the hook is hurried deep in a log then you're going to lose some braid. A $2 jig isn't worth it. I use about four feet of 12# mono leader married to the braid with a double uni knot and it works great. If I have to change jigs I'll just keep clipping down the leader until it gets to within a few inches of the knot at the braid before I cut it off and tie on a new leader.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Good catch and information guys.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

doubleo6point9
Petty Officer

Post by doubleo6point9 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Great article. That said I think I've found another alternative to finding the "perfect" twitching rod and possibly some even cheaper jigs. Only problem is you can't get the rods locally or even handle them but if the jigs work they can be shipped in. The rods I've handled have great action, are around 7' to 7'6 in length with medium-medium heavy power and a line rating of anywhere from 8-14 all the way to 10-20. They also have a long enough butt compared to some bass rods to help wrestle in some of the larger fish. They run around $100-$150 so they're relatively affordable as well. I'll get to test mine out next week and I'll report back with how it goes.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:32 pm

I like to tie the improved albright knot for my mono to braid for fishing jigs.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm

I always tie my braid straight to a duo lock, usually lose a few jigs a season mainly cuz I don't cast right next to the sticks, the coho will move quite a distance to smack a jig from out under the logs. plus back sloughs are where the magic happens. I also use 15# braid with a 9 1/2 but Im bank twitching too tho

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:46 pm

OCT142011STILLYGIANTHOOKNOSE010.jpg
OCT142011STILLYGIANTHOOKNOSE010.jpg (199.76 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
I certainly can attest to how well twitching jigs work! Nice tutorial too! :)

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 pm

KING KONG COHO wrote:
OCT142011STILLYGIANTHOOKNOSE010.jpg
I certainly can attest to how well twitching jigs work! Nice tutorial too! :)

NICE hooknose!!!!

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:06 pm

goodtimesfishing> A Stilly fish too! :-) Got "lucky" Not really just putting in time and technique and I really do like the quartering up and retrieve on a jig and twitch it back to you!

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:06 pm

goodtimesfishing> A Stilly fish too! :-) Got "lucky" Not really just putting in time and technique and I really do like the quartering up and retrieve on a jig and twitch it back to you!