Unfortunate.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Re: Unfortunate.

Post by AJFishdude » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:16 pm

I would also add to this whole argument the aspect of the term "Sport Fishing." Is it still truly a sport if you always win? I know that there are probably a ton of people who would disagree with me on this, but to me the whole point of fishing is the sporting aspect. You vs. the fish, fooling them into striking. In my book, when it comes to fishing, snagging is cheating. The point of the sport (yes I said sport) is just that, sport. I really don't think anyone is out fishing these days with a rod and reel because they have to do it to survive.

I also completely agree with schu7498 about snaggers not following the rules. Not only do they degrade the sport for themselves (and as pointed out, it really isn't sport for them....its something else....) but they degrade it for people who actually follow the rules as well.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:04 am

AJFishdude wrote:I would also add to this whole argument the aspect of the term "Sport Fishing." Is it still truly a sport if you always win? I know that there are probably a ton of people who would disagree with me on this, but to me the whole point of fishing is the sporting aspect. You vs. the fish, fooling them into striking. In my book, when it comes to fishing, snagging is cheating. The point of the sport (yes I said sport) is just that, sport. I really don't think anyone is out fishing these days with a rod and reel because they have to do it to survive.

I also completely agree with schu7498 about snaggers not following the rules. Not only do they degrade the sport for themselves (and as pointed out, it really isn't sport for them....its something else....) but they degrade it for people who actually follow the rules as well.
They wreck the experience for others, tax the resource, and are a black eye for all those fighting for access and privileges to fish. Therefore they should be made to feel uncomfortable and compelled to leave the water. Fishing is not a right it is a privilege and has been being revoked in certain areas due to their illegal activities along with the human and non human garbage they leave behind.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:06 am

denhambruce wrote:Not to mention I went to the Skok about 5 times this year and not once did I see a game warden... Why not go there and fill a year's worth of quota all in one day?

Washington had demonstrated they have no interest in enforcing game laws. They would rather give tickets for boat numbers and other useless revenue collection items cause it's easy and many are lazy.

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:51 pm

AJFishdude wrote:I would also add to this whole argument the aspect of the term "Sport Fishing." Is it still truly a sport if you always win? I know that there are probably a ton of people who would disagree with me on this, but to me the whole point of fishing is the sporting aspect. You vs. the fish, fooling them into striking. In my book, when it comes to fishing, snagging is cheating. The point of the sport (yes I said sport) is just that, sport. I really don't think anyone is out fishing these days with a rod and reel because they have to do it to survive.

The thing about fishing (and hunting), and how it differentiates itself from other sports, is there is often a reward at the end. The reward being, you can take your fish home and eat it. This is not so for other sports, unless you get to the semi-pro level. This fact fundamentally changes the ethos of the sport to most anglers. They're out there to catch fish, and a byproduct is you get to also enjoy the outdoors. This is especially true for salmon, because the meat is prized and somewhat valuable (~$10/pound in the retail market), and very tasty. So when you think about the expenses: Rod, Reel, license, gas, time and effort spent into getting out to the river to fish, coming home empty handed is a huge bummer.
Last edited by W4y on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:00 pm

So you should cheat to avoid the blow to your ego? Seems like if you are compelled to cheat to avoid getting skunked then fishing may not be the right sport for you. Without ethics there is no sport, you might as well just gill net. Only children and less morally developed cheaters would resort to flossing and snagging. They can't handle the ego blow so they cheat and glorify the story. Without fair chase the reward is meaningless. Unless of course your maturity level renders it worthy. I'd rather be skunked than cheat. Heck I'd rather be skunked than fish in a manner I don't prefer. The challenge is part of the reward, meeting it is rewarding. Unless you just want to knuckle drag out a limit to show your friends so they can tell you how great you are. Cheaters are just that and in my humble opinion lower life forms that shouldn't be afforded any quarter.

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:14 pm

skagit510 wrote:So you should cheat to avoid the blow to your ego? Seems like if you are compelled to cheat to avoid getting skunked then fishing may not be the right sport for you. Without ethics there is no sport, you might as well just gill net. Only children and less morally developed cheaters would resort to flossing and snagging. They can't handle the ego blow so they cheat and glorify the story. Without fair chase the reward is meaningless. Unless of course your maturity level renders it worthy. I'd rather be skunked than cheat. Heck I'd rather be skunked than fish in a manner I don't prefer. The challenge is part of the reward, meeting it is rewarding. Unless you just want to knuckle drag out a limit to show your friends so they can tell you how great you are. Cheaters are just that and in my humble opinion lower life forms that shouldn't be afforded any quarter.
No definitely not. I'm just saying there is a fundamentally different experience and expectation in fishing and calling it a "sport" and losing (i.e. not catching) is a part of sports is a bit misleading.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Winning and losing are both part of sport. However neither matter if you cheat at the game. A win is not a win unless it's clean. Seems allot of Washington "anglers" would disagree so long as they have a limit of boots to Facebook then waste in their garden.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:05 pm

You dont spend all the money on lures and rods and reels and waders, boats, motors, gas ect.... because you are subsistence living. These jokers are not living off the land.What is happening however, is these snaggers are getting all of our former great spots either shut down due to their ethics, OR their deliberate use of the banks as their personal trash can. It is called fishing, as hunting is also aptly named. Its not called catch and kill. There is a way to do it that does not involve gill nets and grenades. You are very right, salmon is 10ish bucks a pound. Work out the cost of all mentioned above and let us know what is cheaper. People fish for the experience. Pushing people out so you can blatantly hook salmon illegally is criminal. NO excuses.