Lower and Upper Green River Coho/Chum/Steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Lower and Upper Green River Coho/Chum/Steelhead

Post by c_saeteurn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:33 pm

with the river now finally getting into full swing. Lets see all your catches

Shirljeanz
Angler

Re: Lower and Upper Green River Coho/Chum/Steelhead

Post by Shirljeanz » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Gonna give it a try tomorrow am. Will cast a pink spoon.

Stark8
Angler

Post by Stark8 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Where are a few holes to go to on the green, I recently moved back here and haven't had much time to scout.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:11 pm

wait until after Wednesday, then I'll start pounding the section by my work in the mornings, and on lunch, and after work. LOL...the few times I went over by 405, I didn't get anything to take any of my offerings. I'm a little more familiar with this next section that's opening up. Went and scouted a couple holes today...they are in here in decent numbers.

Shirljeanz
Angler

Post by Shirljeanz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Hit the Duamish at around 10 am. Just west of Allentown. No luck. Lots of jumpers, couldn't buy a strike.

seattlesteban
Petty Officer

Post by seattlesteban » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 pm

mizm05 wrote:wait until after Wednesday, then I'll start pounding the section by my work in the mornings, and on lunch, and after work. LOL...the few times I went over by 405, I didn't get anything to take any of my offerings. I'm a little more familiar with this next section that's opening up. Went and scouted a couple holes today...they are in here in decent numbers.
I used to work in the Georgetown area, but i didn't fish at the time :( Oh, to work next to the green river! Or anyone, in that case...

I'm going to start jigging the green. System is open to 277th. Thinking about trying eggs next to the fort dent area. Has the hatchery gotten any back yet?

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:09 pm

seattlesteban wrote:
mizm05 wrote:wait until after Wednesday, then I'll start pounding the section by my work in the mornings, and on lunch, and after work. LOL...the few times I went over by 405, I didn't get anything to take any of my offerings. I'm a little more familiar with this next section that's opening up. Went and scouted a couple holes today...they are in here in decent numbers.
I used to work in the Georgetown area, but i didn't fish at the time :( Oh, to work next to the green river! Or anyone, in that case...

I'm going to start jigging the green. System is open to 277th. Thinking about trying eggs next to the fort dent area. Has the hatchery gotten any back yet?
They got over 4,000 fish back.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:57 pm

I think the bulk of the A run has already run past the point where we can legally fish. I see one or two rollers here or there, but nothing like it was the last couple weeks. Once that rain hit, they shot for the hatchery. I personally think it's BS how WDFW pushed the opening schedule back 2 weeks for each section this year.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 am

I only saw a couple kings landed last year, and released...even with the earlier openings. Dumb.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:45 am

Same here mizmo. I never hook kings down low anyways only upper green.

seattlesteban
Petty Officer

Post by seattlesteban » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:01 pm

Figured the first time i manage to wake up early the fish are gone ;)

Spent the morning in Allentown tossing eggs. Caught a couple of sculpins, and one guy briefly had a fish on.

Guys sleeping under the bridge on two couches: One.

Never saw that part of the river so low, -0.2 feet. Would be cool to own riverfront property around there.

fishsniper
Angler

Post by fishsniper » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I went Saturday and caught 2 natives kings on eggs, looking for the cohos....but nothing was going for them. Twitched jigs, floated eggs, and threw blue foxes....nothing but the 2 native kings, one was still surprisingly bright for being up river.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Yup there not hanging out in the rivers at all. Shooting straight up. Funny thing is my buddy hit the sound and said it's pretty dead out there aswell.

McNaulty206
Angler

Post by McNaulty206 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:01 pm

gfakkema wrote:
mizm05 wrote:I personally think it's BS how WDFW pushed the opening schedule back 2 weeks for each section this year.
They do it to protect the kings. They leave the sections closed so the kings can do their thing without being bothered on even years. On pink years, they open the sections up earlier to give more people a chance at earlier dates, regardless of kings. 2012 had the exact same opening dates, Oct. 1st for 405 to 277. Watch, next year it will open "early" again.

BS that they're trying to protect an already endangered and a could-be extinct run of chinook salmon? Yeah, sounds like BS to me also...

If it makes you feel any better, the natives had to wait till the majority of the kings had run up river before they could net. They probably thought it was BS too.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Just saying from what I've seen, I hardly ever see anyone catch kings even when the sections open 2 weeks earlier. Not sure 2 weeks make a huge difference from what I've witnessed. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe a bunch of guys are hitting kings on those years the sections open earlier?

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Anybody been having any luck with no rain in the lower river? I haven't even picked up a license yet but with rain in the forecast next week and me being closer to the lower river (moved recently) I'm thinkin' of jumping (jigging) on it for coho now, chums in Nov.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Last edited by losaturn on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Nice losaturn, you're still banging them chrohos out quietly! :) Was that a mid day, morning or other time of day fish? I'm probably gonna get out there finally Sunday or next week with the scheduled rain. Seen several jumpers the times I've dropped by to scout a little. I'm a jigger so mornings would be better probably for me but work swingshift so mid day it is hitting it on wya to work LOL (unless weekend). Great job on the consistency this year Duwing it, hoping I can get a hen or two next week to give a go on drifting eggs or float and egging it.

Thx for the pic.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:22 pm