Pen-Tac Spoons

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

Pen-Tac Spoons

Post by DannyL » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:54 am

For the life of me I cant find them anywhere! Really wanna fish them this winter for steelhead, I hear they are legit. Anyone know where I can pick up a few different ones?
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

primetime
Commander

Re: Pen-Tac Spoons

Post by primetime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 am

Sportco. Like 8 or 9 bucks a spoon haha

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:31 am

I live in Everett lol. That's a bit of a drive for a lure lol.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Three rivers was the only place close that had them, they dont anymore, guess they were too pricey even for them! By far my favorite spoon though is a bc steel 2/5 oz matte silver. Ive caught every fish in the river with it. From cutties to chinook.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:06 pm

RVR FSHR spoons are basically the same thing, both work great too, all silver is my preference too

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Yeah I usually buy rvrfshrs as a more affordable alternative. But I still find the bc steel superior. They stay deeper and still have action in almost slack current. Kind of a best of both worlds.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:32 pm

BC is my preference as spoonman said.

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 am

what makes those pen-tacs worth so much? they basically look like a little cleo with a duller finish, maybe a little thicker and not tapered down like a little cleo.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 am

There finishes are gold and silver instead of chrome and brass. The reflective properties are just on a whole nother level. For instance, if you put a chrome spoon a couple under water on a cloudy day, it appears black. But the silver shines like a beacon.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:51 am

Sport Emporium is the last place I got them (at least a little closer to Everett)..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:58 am

I Googled it and Pen-Tac was recently bought by another company. Not sure if this is the issue.

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:00 pm

The Pen-Tac 50/50 my favorite spoon. I'll echo what others said about the finish, weight, and action being far superior than any spoon out there. Based on their still expensive bulk pricing on their website I'm suspecting that they don't budge much on their wholesale costs to dealers/stores and that's a reason why they're so expensive. The finishing process is also more expensive, but worth it for their visibility underwater...makes for a killer option on cloudy days and you're for tying what is essentially a ten dollar bill to the end of your line. I've also noticed at Outdoor Emporium that they'll do a large order once or twice a year, and then not order the missing models for months at a time. Ask them when they're planning to restock if they're out of your preference, and then buy'em up when they come in!
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;