Steal of a Deal – Scored a Rod!!!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:10 pm

I had been looking to fill a particular niche in my arsenal for quite some time and found that there was one rod in the Compre line up fit the bill. Something that had to have the following traits:

1) Be a Two-Piece rod
2) A medium heavy action to better set the hook with single hook baits (particularly medium to smaller soft plastics)
3) A spinning rod

I found one back in July at my local Sportsman’s Warehouse and decided I’d come back and buy it the next day. That was a foolish mistake, because it was gone! At least I didn’t blow the $89 on it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I drop by the store on a gut feeling that it might be there after low and behold, it was. I was a bit surprised at looking at the price tag. It read, “Fenwick $54.95.” I thought it was mis-priced so I flagged down an employee and he confirmed the price. It was correctly marked.

The cashier rang it up and when I saw $54.95 rung up, I did a mental, Tiger Woods double fist pump, “YES!”

Yeah, I know, it is not best rod out there and I have other rods that are more sensitive but it is more than sufficiently sensitive for the role I have for it in my arsenal.

I am sure glad that I waited. Spending $54.95 is much easier on the wallet than $89.99. I suppose they might have been clearing them out to make way for the new Shimano Cumarra rod series.

I feel like I really scored. The two-piece requirement was a necessity so that I can pack in the trunk sight unseen, something I can’t do with my one-piece rods during the week.

I feel so lucky to have scored a $90 rod for nearly 50% off. And just a little over a year ago, I scored a Crucial for $59.00. I feel like a lucky guy. I guess patience pays off for me once again.

The specs of the rod are:

Lure Weight: 3/16 – 7/8 oz
Action: Medium Heavy
Length: 6’6”
Line: 8-17 lb

I can't wait to go bass fishing with this rod!:batman:

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 pm

Sweet! That is a deal.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pendo24
Angler

Post by pendo24 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:34 am

Ya i really love that rod. It's helped catch me a lot of fish.

EdmondsBassMan
Warrant Officer

Post by EdmondsBassMan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:42 pm

A+ on the patient shopping skills! I find when you wait a little longer you always end up running into a better deal!
WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO FISH!

EdmondsBassman AKA Jerz Jay

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 pm

nice:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:37 am

i just did the same thing the other month on a im7 buzz ramsey stelhead rod. its nice to score deals like that.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 am

sweet score. im usually a cheapo when it comes to buying my rods, but, half off is to good to pass up. ive been seeing alot of rod/reel sales recently. ive got 9 spincast outfits, and, need to add a baitcaster. HB, did you see any sales for those???

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:57 pm

You gave them a chance to make the correction on the price, then you ran away with a smile on your face. Congrats on the great deal! One question for you though, Why do you have to hide the rod in the trunk? Are you in denial? Are you a fishaholic? This addiction called fishing is so much easier when you admit you have a problem and get your friends involved. THey all will soon understand and you can store your rods and reel in plain sight. I just bought a Shimano rod also and you can't beat the over the counter warranty. Keep the reciept!

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:11 am

2000subaru wrote:You gave them a chance to make the correction on the price, then you ran away with a smile on your face. Congrats on the great deal! One question for you though, Why do you have to hide the rod in the trunk? Are you in denial? Are you a fishaholic? This addiction called fishing is so much easier when you admit you have a problem and get your friends involved. THey all will soon understand and you can store your rods and reel in plain sight. I just bought a Shimano rod also and you can't beat the over the counter warranty. Keep the reciept!
Ha ha, good questions. :compress: The bottom line is that I'd have to leave my 1 piece rods exposed when I place them in the car since they won't fit into the trunk. This would scream to would be thieves, "Steal me! Break the window and get me!
With this 2-piece rod, I can store it in the truck sight unseen and the thief would have to bust into the car to see what is in the trunk. In addition a $54 rod is much easier to replace than my true one piece bass rods that only get to see action on the weekends anyway.

And yes, they need to be hidden! Errands to the store for the Mrs. usually involve a quick 15 minute fishing stint at a nearby lake. :cheers: :cheers: :-$

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:00 am

islandbass wrote:
And yes, they need to be hidden! Errands to the store for the Mrs. usually involve a quick 15 minute fishing stint at a nearby lake. :cheers: :cheers: :-$
I have no idea what you are talking about!:-" :-$

This guy I know has been taking his kids for lunch, sometimes playing a DVD in the "Vehicle" for them while I, I mean he, has been getting some practice using a new baitcaster or two at a local lake where you can park at the shoreline so the kids are right there. His only complaint is that he has yet to find a DVD that is long enough!

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:40 pm

2000subaru wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about!:-" :-$

This guy I know has been taking his kids for lunch, sometimes playing a DVD in the "Vehicle" for them while I, I mean he, has been getting some practice using a new baitcaster or two at a local lake where you can park at the shoreline so the kids are right there. His only complaint is that he has yet to find a DVD that is long enough!
[-x

That's why I'm not allowed to have a car vith a DVD player in it.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:42 am

2000subaru wrote:
islandbass wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about!:-" :-$

You just gave me a new idea and excuse to take the kids out. :albino: Just kidding. I wouldn't do that to the kids. My kids would be mad. They like to fish. You can tell him to just practice in the yard with a piece of pencil lead. No hooks, no danger especially with kids around and plenty of targets from manholes in the cul de sac to bowls placed on the ground to pitch to.