hard to pull 2 piece rods apart

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
goonatic
Commander

hard to pull 2 piece rods apart

Post by goonatic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:35 pm

sometimes its near impossible to remove the top half of a rod from the bottom half, anyone know of any tricks to prevent this?

tnj8222
Admiral

Re: hard to pull 2 piece rods apart

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 am

I'm not sure I've never had that problem. Is it a older rod? Try a dab of vaseline on the button end.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:18 am

My Grandpa would always rub the end that goes in on the sides of his nose. Says it puts a little of our natural oil on it and keeps it from getting stuck. It works.

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:13 am

+1 for the above post. It works

Also if you have one that is stuck and you didnt use the above trick there is something else you can try. Bare with me it may be difficult to explain via text.

Sitting down you place the rod over your knee/thigh with the ferrule being centered directly over your knee/thigh. You want to press down VERY LIGHTLY on either side of the ferrule and gently role it back and forth rotating the rod 360 degrees multiple times. It doesnt sound like something you would normally do but I have had it get many rods unstuck that others have given up on.

I cant stress it enough start off very gentle and see if it will come apart. Then use the old man nose trick. (no disrespect to any one or anyone's grandfather, this is the name I know it by)

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:03 am

its a brand new lamiglas redline rod, and in the end i grabbed my super grippy old golf gloves and it had enough grip to twist the ferrules apart without using the guides and bending them, but now im gonna rub my nose all over the bottom half and pray to the fish gods that this doesnt happen when im on the water haha

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:39 pm

None taken here because those old Men are smart. I try to learn as much as I can from older wiser men. You never realize how smart they are until time left is too short.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Another thing ive heard is rub the rod through your hair.... but a way I use to get them unstuck (I have the problem with my convergence) is I sit down, have my hands on the outside of my knees, not grabbing the guides, with each hand I grab the rod on the top piece and the bottom piece, then use my knees to pull it apart. more muscle in legs then my arms lol... hard to explain on the computer
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:14 pm

My grandpa insisted that every pole get a good nose rub before putting together. Sixty years later I'm still doing it and have only had one rod that wouldn't come apart. I really think that one was my fault I was in a hurry I think I jammed it in too far. Leason learned.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 am

Nose oil is good for metal ferrules but beeswax is recommended for graphite.

Two Brothers #1
Petty Officer

Post by Two Brothers #1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:16 am

About 30 + years ago I broke a favorite 2 piece pole trying to take it apart which made me pretty angry with myself. After that happened I read somewhere that when your done with your poles for the day just slightly pull apart so that it turns freely and put it away, also loosen your drag on your reels to take the pressure off. Iv'e never had a problem sense. Just don't foret to tighten them back up before youre on the water.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:54 am

I'm afraid I'd have to say no lube on a graphite rod. Try not jamming it together so hard. Just put the rod together. Trist and pull when pulling it apart. All those various oils are only for old silver and nickel plated ferrules. Bad juju on graphite.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Idstud wrote:None taken here because those old Men are smart. I try to learn as much as I can from older wiser men. You never realize how smart they are until time left is too short.

Amen to that!

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Have you caught fish with that Redline rod? If so, whats your impression on it?

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:06 pm

havent caught anything worth bragging about yet haha, just a few random rockfish, flounder and shakers on my jigs and spoons, but it feels solid so far, great action to launch my small 1/2oz lures out there, its got alot of guides, theyre very smooth and well wrapped, and im actually not pushing the rod together too hard, it just makes a seal thats hard to break, like a chinese finger trap haha, but i rubbed candle wax on the ferrule and it seems to fix the problem

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:52 am

Kinda stinks reading all this...
Just a few weeks ago i had the stuck problem on my Orvis 7 piece travel fly rod. Always happens on certain piece.
Anyway, upon my usual twisting the section of stuck rod, rolled on itself like a rolled cigarette.
Spent the evening walking the river handing flies to my buddy while he fished. That i was gonna cry, [thumbdn]
And i even am well aware of all the nose/hair oil tricks.