FINALLY - My first steelhead!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mizm05
Commander

FINALLY - My first steelhead!

Post by mizm05 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:59 am

Posted this in the summer steel thread, but had to make my own thread because yes, I'm just that dang happy about it! LOL

Finally, after about a year of coming home skunked, trying to change things next time and coming home skunked again, I finally join the ranks of Steelheaders!!!!! I paid my dues, believe me. I remember one early morning on the Hump, it was 9 degrees and I couldn't make more than 3 casts without my guides freezing shut with water from the line going through them. Oh yes, I've paid my dues.

This chrome bright 8.5 lb bullet came from the Cowlitz. Fishing conditions were tough on Saturday. River was flowing at 2900...yikes! Started at Blue Creek, right by the creek and hooked one pretty quickly in the early morning, but he ran me into a log that had a huge ball of gear wrapped around it and he broke me off. He looked to be a recycle as the skin was olive green already.

Fishing was slow from there...so we moved up to Barrier. Got this guy within our first hour there. Was drifting a 1/2 rainbow holographic pixie spoon and was letting it work itself over the rocks...bounce, bounce, bounce.....BOOM! No question about feeling the strike...it was FISH ON! My buddy had to talk me through because my adrenaline was going and I needed to ease back a bit. He talked me down and I got my composure, loosened the drag a bit, turned my rod sideways instead of straight up and down, and let him fight the drag while I palmed it every few seconds. Let him fight for a few minutes and then he let me start gaining some ground. Got 2 or 3 good leaps out of him, and then he was tuckered out and came close enough for my buddy to get under him with the net.

SUCCESS! Now I hope I don't go another year without catching my second! HA!

BentRod
Admiral

Re: FINALLY - My first steelhead!

Post by BentRod » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:20 am

=D> Congrats on your first.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:17 am

Nice job. I remember you saying last winter you were going to wait to salmon fishing. Glad to see you kept pounding water and nailed your first steelie!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:36 am

Nice! Way to keep at it!! =D>
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Primetime...I try to keep my addiction in the denial stage. Helps me sleep at night. Ha!

Thanks brotha. Hope it isn't another year before I nail another one!

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:39 pm

The first one is always the hardest to get.... Way to keep at it!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Nice bright fish for a first. sweet!!! Now we expect more pics of more steel from you.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:40 am

Nice job. I'm gonna be there this week hope to see some people there

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:18 am

Mike make sure you hook up with me this winter. I will get you into some winter steel. Although not as hot as a summer run they are still a blast to catch. See about getting you into double digits by next spring.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 am

SWEEEEETTTTT!!!

I too got my first steel this year, and understand how pumped it makes you when you finally get it right! Been a pretty long lull for me since last me met up with things getting in the way of fishing. Need to turn that around and hook up together and chase some fish! Congrats on that nice steel bullet! :cheers:
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

Congratulations on your first Steelhead. I know how you feel, I put in quite a bit of time to get my first. last winter I bagged 4 on the Sky which was my best year yet. Keep at it and you will get more! :salut: