New to bass fishing please help?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hardlinesoffroad
Angler

Re: New to bass fishing please help?

Post by hardlinesoffroad » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Yep, that was me. I have a 17' bass boat and I agree that the 10' catches as many fish.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Went out to flowing today, got a late start was on the water by 9am. Flowing is much deeper than pine so I figured a drop shot would be a better choice. Boy was I right. Only caught 2 but I caught my first ever largemouth, and it was at least 5.5lbs maybe 6. Wish I had a scale. Caught it about 20 ft deep on a black 4" senko. Such a awesome feeling catching a big bass like that. When I get home tonight I'll post the pics... Thanks again for all the advice guys.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Congrats. :cheers:

That is what helping is all about, to see you catch fish, and your first Largie, AND a BIG FINE FISH! lol [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Yeah it was sweet, didn't fight as hard as the 4lb smallie last week. Any fav plastics to use when you drop shot? Other than a black senko...tried to upload phots but said they were invalid.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:30 am

I've only dropshotted Panic Minnows and Sniper snubs and Sniper Bolts. Other have done real well using Senkos wacky rigged, Zipper worms and such, something I'll have to try some day.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:42 am

What type of image are your pictures? I make sure everything on my computer is a jpg or jpeg. Those types will post on most every web site. Bitmps take up LOT LOTS more memory on a computer and some web sites don't allow them. Gifs are good also. Maybe change what you have to jpg.
Tom.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:27 am

image.jpg
The smallie from pine
image.jpg (148.17 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
image.jpg
My personal biggest bass ever. From flowing
image.jpg (114.08 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
Figured it out. My iphone pics are huge. So I emailed them to myself. When you download the photo it gives you the option to downsize the photo. Under 200kb and I'm in business.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:37 am

Congrats, very good fish. :cheers: I'd go with 5 pounds anyway. Can be hard to tell in a picture, size of the person/distance from camera and all that. Now you just need to rotate them right side up. The 'smart' phones just don't know which way is up. [laugh]
Tom.

hardlinesoffroad
Angler

Post by hardlinesoffroad » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Nice ones.
I second the panics minnow, Brian makes awsome DS baits. Sniper bolts are good to. Its always good to support the local business.
Where are you going next? Seem to have it down.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Is that the brand name panic? I'll google them. Just got some big bite bait trick sticks, senkos are too expensive when you only get a worm a fish. Also got some weedless gals on hooks and some 1/16 tungsten wacky weedless jig heads. Got black/sparkly blue, and pb&j color of worms in 5". 10 worms $3 bucks. If I like em you can buy 100 worms for $28 bucks on amazon. I will grab some of those minnows as well. I will be going to pine twice this week. Wednesday and sat. Hoping for another nice fish. I know a old timer who caught a 9lb largemouth there a few yes ago and released her. So u know there's big fish there. Flowing gets annoying with the motorboats, plus it's still a very tricky lake. I've been there 3 times and caught one bass, granted it was the largest one I've caught. Nm I found them and ordered a couple packs. Also ordered some tungsten drop shot weights as last week I used all I had which was a cone sliding weight.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:36 pm

Skunkedtoomuch wrote:Is that the brand name panic? I'll google them. Just got some big bite bait trick sticks, senkos are too expensive when you only get a worm a fish. Also got some weedless gals on hooks and some 1/16 tungsten wacky weedless jig heads. Got black/sparkly blue, and pb&j color of worms in 5". 10 worms $3 bucks. If I like em you can buy 100 worms for $28 bucks on amazon. I will grab some of those minnows as well. I will be going to pine twice this week. Wednesday and sat. Hoping for another nice fish. I know a old timer who caught a 9lb largemouth there a few yes ago and released her. So u know there's big fish there. Flowing gets annoying with the motorboats, plus it's still a very tricky lake. I've been there 3 times and caught one bass, granted it was the largest one I've caught. Nm I found them and ordered a couple packs. Also ordered some tungsten drop shot weights as last week I used all I had which was a cone sliding weight.
Yeah...I really like the looks of Flowing, and have seen big bass in the water, but it generally kicks my butt :-) Just curious, "Skunked" is that the Pine lake down by Sammamish? Not trying to hijack "your" spot, I fish stuff further up North, but couldn't find a "Pine" close to Flowing.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:58 pm

It's is the lake in samamish. No worries enough bass for everyone. Flowing is a hard lake to figure out but I do believe we know where the larger fish are right now. There's a tournament there in aug. So with those panic minnows when there are on a drop shot. Do you just slowly retrieve and let the weight suspend the minnow right above the bottom. Basically mimicking a swing fish?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Watch dropshot videos on Youtube. I think there should be a couple dropshot vids here on WaLakes in the vid section.

You can do the following with a dropshot, and even on the same cast: dead stick, wiggle, drag, hop, swim. Then when the fish tell how they like it, TODAY, then you can concentrate doing it that way, until they change their mind in an hour or two, then you have to try it all over again.

Snug line, 6" to 12" leader, between the hook and weight - I like a 10" to 12" leader.

The Panic Minnow is made of tougher material so lasts much longer than the Sniper Snub and Bolt which are softer.

Nose hook the worm or Panic Minnow about 1/8" to 1/4" back from the tip.

Use a clip on type weight, Quick Drop is the best. 1/8th oz to 1/4 oz for most depths from 1 foot to 15 foot. 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz for most TIMES from 15 feet to 30 feet, depending on the wind/breeze. Shallow depths with breeze use a 1/4 oz sometimes, you'll know when you try it, in the wind use 3/8th oz. You can also get weights up to 1 oz, maybe heavier.
Tom.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Awesome. Can't wait to try the new minnows

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I think it is time to lock this thread. He is NOT NEW anymore. LOL

:salut: :-" :-" :-"

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Yup, he's been here 2 weeks, he isn't new. No more advice or he'll be catching more Bass than anybody else.

[laugh]
Tom.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Well it was only a matter if time. Now if I enter and win that tournament next month then all the credit will go to you guys👍 I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Has anyone here used or uses this reel. Lew's Team Gold Carbon Spinning Reel. I really don't want to spend over $250 on a reel and on paper this thing is amazing. Going to pair it with a st croix legend tournament bass rod. Actually 2 of them on in m and one in mh. Both prob 7ft 1

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:40 am

Lews should be a good reel. St Croix are real good rods, I like the one I have/use for dropshotting.
Tom.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:47 pm

My Lews is a good, but not great, baitcaster. I have other I like better.

My Diawa are all great, as are all of my Shimano, both spinning and baitcasting.

Keep in mind that there is no one reel for all people. What I like is not necessarily what someone else would like.

All three of the reel brands discussed are great casters, quality reels.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm

I was going to buy a couple stradics or one certate, as I can't justify spending a grand on 2 reels. So for less than $150 for the lews I'm hopeful they're awesome.