Trolling motor thrust lbs?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
M3NTA7
Petty Officer

Trolling motor thrust lbs?

Post by M3NTA7 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Hello All,

I need some advice, what is your recommendation for lbs of thrust in an electric trolling motor for a small boat that would be used for small to medium size lakes (Curlew Lake). I'm looking at eventually purchasing a small boat in the 8 - 10 ft range. For reference, something similar to this: http://www.sundolphinboats.com/oz/3/com ... /bt94.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!
Glen

P.S. I'm glad I found this community!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Trolling motor thrust lbs?

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:05 pm

30 lb. 50 would be good for when it gets real windy and you want to get back to the launch in a hurry, or against the wind.
Tom.

Interests: living

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Wallmart has the Minn kota E 50# thrust on sale for $199.00 now all the motor you will need..
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:16 pm

I have one of these on my 12' lake boat and it works just fine and is cheap too: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Minn-Kot ... t=minnkota

Heres a link to the minnkota motor selector: http://www.minnkotamotors.com/selectamotor/

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:49 pm

I got a 40lb off of Amazon for 160$ Minn Kota Endura C2 40 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor (36" Shaft). When I was looking I figured 30 was light and 50 was over kill. The higher the thrust the more amps you use. The minn kota endura is built on the energy efficient side from what I have read. My thoughts anyways.

duffy
Petty Officer

Post by duffy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 pm

I have an old Minn Kota 35 power drive on a 12' Columbia fiberglass tri hull and it shoves it around pretty good. I haven't used it in quite a few years but seem to remember it would pull it around at at least 3-4 mph. That was with two of us in it, 6 gal gas, anchor, and of course tackle. [biggrin] A 45 would really scoot and you wouldn't need to run it very fast but would be nice if the wind came up. I also have a 18 hp gas for cruising but if you only had the electric I'd go with at least a 40. BTW we could fish for at least 2 days on a single charge of a group 27 battery but mine has the maximizer which is variable speed.
I just went back and looked at your sample boat and that thing would probably really haul with a 45 on it.

M3NTA7
Petty Officer

Post by M3NTA7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions, examples and background info!

Not sure how soon getting a boat or not, but I have a better idea now!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:35 am

I'll add this, when buying a battery for your future electric motor, don't buy based on "group size" as that is not what dictates performance. Group size is simply a standard for physical case size and/or terminal layout. You want to pay most attention to battery type (starting, dual-purpose, or deep cycle) AND reserve capacity. DO NOT use a standard automotive starting battery. If you will never use your trolling motor battery to start a gas motor, choose a deep cycle with the highest possible reserve capacity that fits your boat and weight limitations. If you ever think you might use the battery to start a gas motor, then choose a dual-purpose with the highest RC that meets the same boat limitations. An AGM in either type will give you best bang for buck. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

M3NTA7
Petty Officer

Post by M3NTA7 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:52 am

hewesfisher, Thanks for the info on choosing a battery, that will come in handy!