Will Sockeye Re Open?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

Will Sockeye Re Open?

Post by DannyL » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:11 am

So I am pretty positive the 2014 sockeye Skagit river season will not re open but I do remain optimistic. With the run just now starting to get here does WDFW re open under emergency rules or will they now leave it to Baker Lake? You have to realize that the run was estimated around 35k fish and the trap has seen 108 fish as of yesterday which is a MAJOR improvement over 34 fish earlier this week. With today and tomorrow left in the scheduled season I am hoping thet open it back up at least till mid July.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Re: Will Sockeye Re Open?

Post by fishindude » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:02 pm

I was wondering the same thing but have the same feeling of probably not. I sent WDFW an email on Tuesday asking if they are considering to extend or re-open the river since the fish are not here yet. I have yet to hear back but if and when I do hear back, I will post it.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:17 pm

They wont extend it, they want the fish to get into the lake so everyone goes up there. Thats a lot of gas tax their collecting right there

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:31 pm

At least extend it a week or two. Baker doesn't open till the 10th so why not let the river stay open till the 9th?

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm

There was a news article online in the Herald I think. The biologist in the article was saying he highly doubts it would get extended because since the numbers coming in are so low, they want all the fish that are coming in to make it to the dam. The creel counts as of last sunday were something like 80 fish caught compared to 2012 which was over 1000. Ive been up there 4 times from 5 to 8 hr days and havent landed one.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:03 pm

My buddy as some of you may know him Mike Fishkiller limited yesterday. More fish have been caught in the past 48 hours than the entire season.

Sixgill
Petty Officer

Post by Sixgill » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:22 pm

With the counts as low as thay are I would not expect any extension unless the run shows some definitive indications of meeting preseason forecasts.

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Post by beachbum97 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:23 pm

I hope they extend it. I talked to the creel checker guy yesterday and at the time said around 26 were caught just yesterday. This was around 4:40 when he came by and I around 6 fish caught yesterday for the 5 hours I was there, which has been the best out of the past 2 weeks. Everyone says that wdfw opened the season before the sockeye were ever here. Now they're here, and the season closes today. It's only common sense right?

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 am

They for sure opened it too early IMO. These last couple days have been the best, not for me but for others. I didn't get one in the two week season. Im really hope they re open it for maybe two more weeks.

TheRealSalmonerd
Petty Officer

Post by TheRealSalmonerd » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Finished off the season with a good day.... I wish they would extend, but they wont.
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (36.89 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (38.01 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (45.5 KiB) Viewed 1869 times