Shore fishing Tacoma area for silvers?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aceshi21
Petty Officer

Shore fishing Tacoma area for silvers?

Post by aceshi21 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm just curious when and where to go for the best silver fishing in the Tacoma area. I don't have a boat yet, so am stuck with standing in the tides casting from the shore. Any ideas? Browns point? I live near Titlow, has anyone fished the Girl Scout camp from shore?

Thanks in advance!

obryan214
Commander

Re: Shore fishing Tacoma area for silvers?

Post by obryan214 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:06 pm

low tide at the clay banks can be great fishing for them. park at owen beach and walk down. be aware of the incoming tides though, people get stranded along the cliffs often.

Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Post by Kaptain King » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:47 am

Yeah you can walk down to the claybanks from Owen Beach and that can sometimes produce. Living at Titlow, I would get some light tackle and walk down to the park by TOA. There are a bunch of rocks and lots of structure around that area for resident silvers and cutthroat (got to release all those but fun to catch). Try throwing some metal at them or try and cast out with a herring under a float. You can also try on the other side at Narrows Park under the bridge. Bank fishing around Tacoma can be pretty tough. I don't have enough for a boat so I went halfway and bought a kayak. Best thing I have ever done and it increases your chances a ton being on the water. Plus you can crab and go after bottom fish. If you REALLY want to catch silvers, I would suggest checking when the run hits, check the tides, and hit up Point Wilson up at Port Townsend. You can kill it for silvers at that lighthouse throwing Blue Foxes in August. It's a goldmine up there. Plus it's beautiful. Good Luck!
"For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

aceshi21
Petty Officer

Post by aceshi21 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks for the info! How much time is to be expected to be able to fish at point defiance between the tidal movements?

I know that browns point is good for the pinks, we lit it up down there last year, but how about the coho? Do they get in close enough to catch from shore?

Are there any decent spots near chambers that are producers?

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:28 pm

i saw a truck come racing down the hill at that place next to the golf course at chambers and the guy get out yelling at a couple guys on shore they couldn't fish that side of the bridge, north side btw. see people casting off the docks on the south side often. you can fish in that little bay with a hundred other guys and gillnets if your into alot of company. not sure if you can fish the area at the golfcourse where you go to the bottom of the hill and over the footbridge across the tracks. nice scenic walk with steep hills if you hike, watch out for falling golf balls.

aceshi21
Petty Officer

Post by aceshi21 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Any other locations?

Still haven't heard any thoughts about browns point.

Any takers?

Thanks again for the above information!

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 pm

Once you know they are running, you can fish the beaches along Brown's Point, I've seen lots of people fishing along that shoreline during the salmon run.