Shore fishing in the Strait of Juan de Fuca

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jmpurser
Petty Officer

Shore fishing in the Strait of Juan de Fuca

Post by jmpurser » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Has anyone done any shore fishing up along the Strait? I wanted to explore up that way some this summer and wondered if anyone had beaten me to it. I was thinking of driving up there and fishing from the shore or wading using either light casting gear or surf gear. Any suggestions on where to go or what to target?

Thanks,

John

obryan214
Commander

Re: Shore fishing in the Strait of Juan de Fuca

Post by obryan214 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:52 pm

when i was a kid i saw an old guy catch a 54lb king from the jetty at sekiu. he was tossing cutplug herring. i've gotten plenty of greenling, rockfish and flounder from the jetty, beach and docks there.

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:05 am

Thanks Obryan214. I'm especially interested in flatfish from the strait. I think their population is healthy and they should be a lot cleaner than the ones further down in the sound. I never see much about shore fishing up there but I see a lot of shore between the Dungeness spit and Neah bay. There are some Kayak fishing videos of the area but not much on shore casting.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:43 am

I only know about west side of Whidbey Island. Many places to catch salmon from shore.