Ol' Girl gets a new Ol' Girl

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Ol' Girl gets a new Ol' Girl

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 am

Idstud wrote:Glad to hear of the good trip with it well anticipated after the boat fixer upper. Instead of digging a hole you might think of a wood ramp with 4x4 or 4x6 stops then you will know your at the stop point and wouldnt have to dig a hole. I staked a 4x6 post just a little over tire wide so it dosnt stick out as a trip hazard. I back mine in a costco car port. AMX I like the spot marker idea I think I will add that one too. Cant wait for the video.
I do similar, just use a 4x4 block of wood (wide enough so I can see it extend beyond the tire) as a stop. I back right to it and know my motor is clear of the rear wall. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:29 am

Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:34 am

That's awesome, one sweet ride that took a lot of sweat! Great end to the topic! Congrats Toni!

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:05 am

Well done! Im going to miss the updates on the build! [thumbsup]

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Nice!! Congrats.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Now I have to wait to go out again. Work, it gets in the way

=P~
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Steve Ericsson
Petty Officer

Post by Steve Ericsson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 pm

I agree, work SUCKS!!!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:15 am

Steve Ericsson wrote:I agree, work SUCKS!!!
Agree, but have to fund the fun too! [wink]

Great maiden voyage video, but you really need some different release clips Toni. Can't believe how hard you had to yank to get the line out of the clips. [laugh]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:50 am

hewesfisher wrote:
Steve Ericsson wrote:I agree, work SUCKS!!!
Agree, but have to fund the fun too! [wink]

Great maiden voyage video, but you really need some different release clips Toni. Can't believe how hard you had to yank to get the line out of the clips. [laugh]
No, I don't need new release clips. They are brand new. I have to learn where in the clip is best. I did better the 2nd day.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Ditto to those release clips. Hate to see you break a nice kokanee rod using salmon release clips. [crying]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Ditto to those release clips. Hate to see you break a nice kokanee rod using salmon release clips. [crying]
No I do not need new release clips. They are new. I have to learn where to put them in the clip. And I am

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:01 am

First blood and slime, YEAH! Looks very comfy to fish out of and I love what you did with the downriggers on those posts, genius! Fish box is great to, whole setup is nicely laid out. Congrats, ready for when the silvers hit the sound.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:28 am

Mike Carey wrote:Ditto to those release clips. Hate to see you break a nice kokanee rod using salmon release clips. [crying]
Ditto times three. Not enough time or energy to mess around with the big clips in fresh water and small fish. Strike three is clips on the snubbers. One more place to make it hard to for the fish to pull the line from the clip. I make my own from 100# leader material so I can make them any length I like. I really liked seeing you use a stick to grab the DR clip, every time I see someone leaning over the gunnel to grab one, all I can think about is swimming behind the boat. Snubber should go from the DR cable to the ball. Those snubbers will stretch a long way when you hook up a ball. Really good way to save an expensive RD ball. There's one more piece that has saved me on more than one occasion. The triangle fins that go between the DR line and ball. The drive the out from the boat so there's less chance of getting the DR cable or clip line in the kicker. My DR's are mounted forward like yours and I wouldn't put them in the water with out the fins, they're that good.

You're really lucky to be associated with everyone here. For Down Riggers alone I'm certain there's at least a thousand years of DR experience on the forum.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:03 am

Bodofish wrote:
Ditto times three. Not enough time or energy to mess around with the big clips in fresh water and small fish. Strike three is clips on the snubbers. One more place to make it hard to for the fish to pull the line from the clip. I make my own from 100# leader material so I can make them any length I like. I really liked seeing you use a stick to grab the DR clip, every time I see someone leaning over the gunnel to grab one, all I can think about is swimming behind the boat. Snubber should go from the DR cable to the ball. Those snubbers will stretch a long way when you hook up a ball. Really good way to save an expensive RD ball. There's one more piece that has saved me on more than one occasion. The triangle fins that go between the DR line and ball. The drive the out from the boat so there's less chance of getting the DR cable or clip line in the kicker. My DR's are mounted forward like yours and I wouldn't put them in the water with out the fins, they're that good.

You're really lucky to be associated with everyone here. For Down Riggers alone I'm certain there's at least a thousand years of DR experience on the forum.
Count me in for the small clips for Kokanee. In Chelan the line on one of my small clips broke so I had to use a large clip on one side - boy could you tell the difference side to side!

To fix that clip line I just used some 65# braid I had lying around, but it is too limp and always tangles when I pull it out to use it. I think I will use your trick and find some heavy leader.

I also need to make me a fetchem stick :cheers:

Bodo, tell more about these fins? Do you have a pic (I'm a visual guy) and if the DR ball maxes out a snubber, how would the snubber save the ball?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:38 am

Snubbers, a lot of times, say you hook a stump, just the stretch alone will keep the ball from getting wedged tight or it just sling shots it out and it keep from breaking stuff on the boat. The other big one is the bridge anchors on the floating bridges.

Fins, shamelessly stolen from Silver Horde Catalogue:

I go Dr Line, fin, snubber, ball. I like the splatter back for some reason but chrome flashes more.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:54 am

Interesting - Learned a thing or two today - thanks again Bodo :cheers:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:13 am

Fins and snubbers saves ball bounce against the hull too. It is pricey but in comparison to boat and Dr balls cheap.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:57 am

So what DR clips are you guys using for kokanee? I am using the scotty 1180 mini power grip plus with the 18" leader and cable snap. Is there another that works better? I agree on the DR snubbers also helps with the auto stop as well keeps the ball in the water.

Toni, what clips are you using now as to the ones before?
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:05 am

Scotty minis, work like a charm. I set the line all the way back in the clip. If the fish doesn't release it a slight jerk on the rod will. I also have made my own using (I guess you'd call them) sock holders. I use them for running stacking lines, attach a 2-3 oz weight and run it down the DR cable.

Um, we kind of hijacked this thread...

Sorry Toni.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:04 am

Started another thread, as it would be a shame to muck up this great chronicle, Maybe Mike can move the last DR bit to the new thread.