What's your favorite redtail surfperch rig?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
goonatic
Commander

Re: What's your favorite redtail surfperch rig?

Post by goonatic » Wed May 07, 2014 7:15 pm

hey nate, you mentioned places in the sound with sandshrimp? can you share the wealth of knowledge here? especially for any spots near the pt defiance or dash point area? =)

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Reel_Nut wrote:Pile worms are not illegal. I personally spoke with Dan Ayres, He is the Lead Biologist for Coastal Shellfish in Region six. He told me that the words "Marine Worms" do not include Pileworms. I have a letter from him that he downloaded,
http;//wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/statewide_rules.html

If you have questions please contact him at Daniel.Ayres@div.wa.gov.

Thank you.
WOW. Amazing what new thing a person can learn every day.

As much as I loved using pile worms back in the day, I think I am going to use something else just to be safe. I'm a bit paranoid of getting a big ticket, in case I am not able to convince a warden that "pile worms are not marine worms".

For those of you interested, here's the concise explanatory statement (CES) when WDFW adopted the rule back in 2010 that prohibited harvest of all "marine worms" (whatever they may be). Apparently, WDFW rejected the requested exemption for pile worms for bait and so adopted the proposed rule to prohibit harvest of all unclassified marine invertebrates.

#7. Unclassified Marine Fish and Invertebrates
Proposal: This proposal would close all harvest of unclassified marine fish and invertebrates.
Explanation: Unclassified marine invertebrates consist of animals such as starfish, sand dollars, shore crabs
and unclassified marine fish are animals such as blennies, tubesnouts and tide pool sculpins. Existing
regulations prohibit these animals from being taken in a commercial fishery and limit recreational harvest to
two unclassified fish (per species) per day and 10 unclassified invertebrates (lower limits exist for moon snails
and nudibranchs) The intent of this regulation is to provide additional conservation benefit to these species.
The current harvest is not actively managed or monitored. Eliminating harvest would provide a precautionary
approach to management of these species. A second benefit would be improved populations of these animals
at public beaches to increase non-consumptive use of these resources through viewing, photography and
education.
This proposal would not change regulations regarding the collection of shells. For example if this proposal is
enacted, no collection of live moon snails would be allowed but a person could still collect the shells of dead
moon snails.
Testimony:
Several people felt that the rule was too broad and should only apply to certain species or certain areas where
we know there are problems.
Some people objected to the closure because the department does not actively monitor these species.
Others supported the proposal as a precautionary measure to protect animals we do not have information
about.
Some people suggested exemptions for species such as pile worms that are commonly used as fishing bait.Staff Recommendation: Adopt as proposed. The Department feels that a more conservation-based approach
is needed in these areas and that we should begin to stress the philosophy that these animals do not need to
be collected or harvested to be enjoyed.
Commission Action: Adopted as proposed.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/ ... 12_ces.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Shad_Eating_Grin on Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 pm

goonatic wrote:hey nate, you mentioned places in the sound with sandshrimp? can you share the wealth of knowledge here? especially for any spots near the pt defiance or dash point area? =)
The sand flats around Everett are loaded with them. That's where I get mine.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 pm

natetreat wrote:
goonatic wrote:hey nate, you mentioned places in the sound with sandshrimp? can you share the wealth of knowledge here? especially for any spots near the pt defiance or dash point area? =)
The sand flats around Everett are loaded with them. That's where I get mine.
Thanks for the tip. Is the sand flat area north of Mukilteo still accessible (I think Boeing or some company may have closed off some of that area), or is the access best around the Howarth Park area nearer Everett?

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
Reel_Nut wrote:Pile worms are not illegal. I personally spoke with Dan Ayres, He is the Lead Biologist for Coastal Shellfish in Region six. He told me that the words "Marine Worms" do not include Pileworms. I have a letter from him that he downloaded,
http;//wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/statewide_rules.html

If you have questions please contact him at Daniel.Ayres@div.wa.gov.

Thank you.
WOW. Amazing what new thing a person can learn every day.
Unfortunately in the regs Unclassified Marine Invertebrates are defined in the negative. So they don't tell you what they ARE. They just tell you what they're NOT. And Pile worms aren't mentioned. Technically by the regs ANY invertebrate NOT defined in the shellfish section is

Unclassified Marine Invertebrates - Invertebrates not listed in the shellfish definition, such as snails, nudibranchs, shore crabs, graceful crabs, sand dollars, starfish, white and red sea cucumbers, limpets, chitons, etc.

That doesn't mean that using them is against the law. It does mean that if you whip out your copy of the regs to show you can collect them you're going to get the ticket anyway and have to go fight about it.

Until they clarify that in the regs I'd rather avoid the complications.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Thu May 08, 2014 5:57 am

I will be nice.....good fishing sir.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:12 am

Just use sand shrimp...problem solved and debate ended. Whether pile worms are technically legal or not, I'll just stick to sand shrimp. Those fish nail it as soon as it touches bottom.