Your Favorite Store for Fishing Tackle

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Your Favorite Store for Fishing Tackle

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:29 am

Cabela's is the last place I shop. Unfortunately, their arrival in Post Falls forced many of the really nice, region specific tackle stores to close. There are still a few around, but not as many as before. Cabela's only gets my money when I have no other choice. [-(
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 am

natetreat wrote:I hate shopping online. Which I have to do a lot of the time, but I really, really hate it. I don't like waiting, I don't like having to wait, I don't like paying shipping.
Not only do I hate waiting but I am the type that has to have hands on before I spend my money. I want to see and touch what it is I am buying.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:55 am

chrome_chasin wrote:Not only do I hate waiting but I am the type that has to have hands on before I spend my money. I want to see and touch what it is I am buying.

That's why internet dating never appealed to me. [flapper]

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

I'll put another thumbs up in for John's Sporting Goods in Everett. Its a small store, but is well-stocked for saltwater fish (I haven't shopped for anything else, but he probably has it). Prices are on par with Outdoor Emporium. But beyond price and selection two things make me want to go out of the way to John's:
1. He gives great, spot-on fishing advice. Whether you are in the store, attending one of his seminars, reading his website (including its map section) or following him on Facebook, he goes out of his way to give great advice--and check in throughout the day he often posts about condition changes when the salmon are moving. (Of course he stocks his recommended gear).
2. It truly a family affair. John's wife and daughter are working in the store too (or have been when I've been there).

ReelFunTimes
Angler

Post by ReelFunTimes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm

BlackSheep in Couer D Alene Idaho There prices are beat most of the big shops and they are a friendly place to shop.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

ReelFunTimes wrote:BlackSheep in Couer D Alene Idaho There prices are beat most of the big shops and they are a friendly place to shop.
ditto. Stop there every time we visit on the way to Montana.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 pm

sportco though I do get employee discount and use the coupons at fred meyer on our small selection. there is a store on hood canal that still has stuff no longer made and doesn't keep regular hours i love to spend money at when i'm at my cousins. don't even no the name if it even has one.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:13 am

ReelFunTimes wrote:BlackSheep in Couer D Alene Idaho There prices are beat most of the big shops and they are a friendly place to shop.
I agree if it weren't a 100mi round trip. I spend more in fuel than postage not to mention 3hours out of my day for $20 - $30 in tackle. I order from local suppliers like Kekeda Fly Co. and Frisky Jenny flies and with delivery to my door, it saves me time and $$. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Fishman_Kuzan
Petty Officer

Post by Fishman_Kuzan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:01 pm

For the Spokane area- I have to throw in a good word for Black Sheep in CDA with the other guys above. It is my favorite place to spend money and I never feel like I overpaid there. They've got just about everything hunting and fishing related, although I'm still getting used to the new location. They used to have awesome bargain bins that I think have gotten phased out but used to have really killer deals on everything from bass, pike, panfish to trout and salmon. I'm with everybody on Cabela's, I feel like I got screwed and spent way too much money everytime I leave that store. Only go there for bulk stuff like swivels these days. Good info on the West side stores everybody else, always try to support local guys who know whats up!

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Mon May 05, 2014 6:21 pm

EDIT: I can't reccomend TackleDirect anymore. Posted the reason below so you can come to your own decision.

I'm going to have to throw in my lot with the guys who shop online. I prefer to shop with the little guy first, then the local guys, then online. But when it comes to my fishing gear I haven't found a local source that stocks what I'm looking for. Now a lot of that is on me. I'm not chasing steelhead or salmon which is of course the market most of the stores are servicing. Usually I use TackleDirect or Amazon.
Last edited by jmpurser on Wed May 07, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue May 06, 2014 7:16 pm

GI Joes :-({|=

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Wed May 07, 2014 5:44 am

Having JUST recommended TackleDirect I now have to post an advisory. I was looking at the Shimano Clarus line of rods for a light spinning/surfperch rod. The rods I was interested in had no description for number of pieces so I used the "ask a question" feature to ask if this was a two piece rod. No one else had asked any questions about these rods.

The answer I got back, posted on the product page, said "Yes, this is a two piece rod."

Yesterday I got the rod via UPS. It's 1 piece. I went back to the product page to see if I read the answer wrong. MY question is gone BUT there is now ANOTHER user (from California) asking ALMOST the same question. He asks "Is this a ONE piece rod?" and gets the answer "Yes, this is a ONE piece rod."

My conclusion is someone realized their mistake, deleted my question because they couldn't edit something done under my user name, then used a dummy account to ask ALMOST the same question and then answer it correctly.

Now, assuming I can get it into my car I'll keep the rod either way. But the way the company handled that sets off all my alarms. It's not enough to make me stop doing business with them but it's plenty to stop me from recommending them in the future.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 07, 2014 8:06 am

Unless I'm looking for really big offshore stuff, I'll only use them for MSRP comparison. They seem to be real steep on every item, even the sale stuff.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Wed May 07, 2014 8:13 am

Bodofish wrote:Unless I'm looking for really big offshore stuff, I'll only use them for MSRP comparison. They seem to be real steep on every item, even the sale stuff.
I haven't found them (TackleDirect) to be much cheaper than anyone else. They have had a few more of the items I was after and they let me set up an account so I can track orders, keep a wish list and things like that.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 07, 2014 9:58 am

jmpurser wrote:
Bodofish wrote:Unless I'm looking for really big offshore stuff, I'll only use them for MSRP comparison. They seem to be real steep on every item, even the sale stuff.
I haven't found them (TackleDirect) to be much cheaper than anyone else. They have had a few more of the items I was after and they let me set up an account so I can track orders, keep a wish list and things like that.
That would be my point, they're one of the priciest dealers on the web. If you look at any other dealers on the web, they almost all do wish lists and I haven't seen one yet that doesn't let you track orders. Well there is Cabela's... and as far as shipping and order fulfillment goes, they're in the stone age. They do their best to keep you in the dark. If you want truly good communication, order status and shipping I have a few favorite EBay dealers I'm never disappointed with. They consistently beat all the local and big dealers prices, ship in 24hr and I have my items in under 5 days.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 am

Limit Out Performance Marine has lots of what I want. They can also order stuff. Waiting on a special order right now.
Tom.

Interests: living

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Wed May 07, 2014 11:59 am

Bodofish wrote:
jmpurser wrote:
That would be my point, they're one of the priciest dealers on the web. If you look at any other dealers on the web, they almost all do wish lists and I haven't seen one yet that doesn't let you track orders. Well there is Cabela's... and as far as shipping and order fulfillment goes, they're in the stone age. They do their best to keep you in the dark. If you want truly good communication, order status and shipping I have a few favorite EBay dealers I'm never disappointed with. They consistently beat all the local and big dealers prices, ship in 24hr and I have my items in under 5 days.
Price wise for what I buy they've been about average. Shipping too. I was going back and forth between them and another similar site but the other side didn't allow accounts.

It's been a long time since I bought anything new off Ebay because I can always find it cheaper on Amazon.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 07, 2014 3:03 pm

I refuse to buy off Amazon due the their merchant policies.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Triangle Bevy in Snohomish...
OE in Seattle

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Hahahaha! my fave tackle store is the other guys tackle box on my boat!!!!! [tongue]