Bass Rod Question!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
irishman10
Angler

Bass Rod Question!

Post by irishman10 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:18 pm

In the market for my first casting rod. Just picked up a Abu Garcia Silver Max... I dont have the money for multiple rods so I need one that is going to be the most versatile/do it all kind of rod. Any advice?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Bass Rod Question!

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:25 pm

6'6" med, or maybe a med heavy. Will work with worms, jigs, crankbaits, top water, carolina rig, even dropshot, most everything.

Get a Loomis, Lamaglass, Dobyns, Bass Pro Shops, Berkley, Diawa, whatever you can afford, or want.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:36 pm

I would say a 7' mh rated rod with a fast tip. rated for 1/4-3/4 or 1oz and that will probably be the most versatile rod u can go with.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:23 pm

fishingmachine wrote:I would say a 7' mh rated rod with a fast tip. rated for 1/4-3/4 or 1oz and that will probably be the most versatile rod u can go with.

Irishman10,

I have a Lamiglas Certified Pro XC704 rod. 7', 4 Power, 1/4- 1oz. 10-20lb line.
The rod has never been to the water. I bought it to get into baitcasting for bass, and I never stuck with the bait casting. I actually didn't even use the rod to cast with, I used another. This one has sat on the rod rack for prob. 5-6 years.

I cannot find any online documentation for retail pricing. I did have a link from Lamiglas that retailed it for $289.00, but after a few years Lami no longer shows it online. There is another link out there sells it for around $175.00.

I'd part with it for $150.00

N. Seattle

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 am

You don't need an expensive rod to catch a lot of bass. One decent casting rod and one decent spinning rod will meet most of your bass fishing needs. As you gain experience and learn you can do some upgrading. Good Luck!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:24 am

bob johansen wrote:You don't need an expensive rod to catch a lot of bass. One decent casting rod and one decent spinning rod will meet most of your bass fishing needs. As you gain experience and learn you can do some upgrading. Good Luck!
I couldn't agree more with you Bob. The only reason that I posted up this rod was because it fit the description of what the other users were saying to look for in a rod.
I always like to think that a fish doesn't look up at your boat, and make a decision to take your bait based on what kind of boat you have. :)

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:25 pm

Good points by all. I have a couple of lower end Berkley Amp split grip rods that do great. I think they were around $35. Light and fairly sensitive. Caught quite a few fish and they work. I have an Abu Garcia Vendetta 6-6 that I love for general purpose. I just purchased a 13 Fishing Omen 6-10 casting rod for $100 that feels crazy light and sensitive, and has very good reviews. Can't wait to hook up with it. I just returned from Arizona for a weeks vacation and used other peoples rods that were far "inferior" to what I have/use. Basically broom sticks. I still caught a 4 and a 5 lb bass using these, and it was fun! Point is...look around and hold some in your hands. Go with what feels good to you and what you can afford. There's a ton of rods out there and they all catch fish. You are the one in control of the rod and how it's used. Pick a rod, just go out and fish, and have a good time. Good luck!
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Come check out the Daiwa Tatula line at Limit Out Marine or take a look at the used rods we also have in stock.

Russ