Sprague Lake

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zen leecher
Commander

Re: Sprague Lake

Post by zen leecher » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:47 am

YellowBear wrote:Maybe Danny or Marc could explain to us why the Walleye were not restocked.
More people fished Sprague when it had Walleye in it than before or since.

Maybe they could explain why the warmwater program is not using the resources from Badger to get Sprague back to the way it was.
I would think in order to save a few bucks the WDFW would be taking advantage of the Bass in Badger.

Maybe they could explain why the Sprague lake "rehab" is taking so long to produce results.
Maybe a volunteer group under the oversight of WDFW could be formed. Say "The Friends of Sprague Lake" as a group. It could potentially be a legal "bucket brigade" to transfer bass from Badger to Sprague.

Just a thought.

I was a member of the Hi-Lakers on the west side. They, along with a sister club, the Trailblazers, helped WDFW stock and monitor trout in the high alpine lakes in the west Cascades.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:12 am

Danny can't, he was just helping out.

Marc is going to electroskock Badger and place the Bass and gills in Sprague. That has been his plan for some time.

I suspect, based on conversations with Marc, he is as concerned with the slow recovery as we are.

The walleye, better ask the big boss, Donnley, about that one.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:41 am

That would be a great idea Zen Leecher except we are talking about Bass and not Trout.
The WDFW will bend over backwards to stock Trout but Bass seem to get the ole Rotenone policy.

Time is a waisting, there are some nice Bass up shallow rite now at Badger.
If they wait just a little longer the fish will be out of reach of the shock boat.

Donnley big boss? he gets to do what Olympia tells him he can do.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:15 am

YellowBear wrote:That would be a great idea Zen Leecher except we are talking about Bass and not Trout.
The WDFW will bend over backwards to stock Trout but Bass seem to get the ole Rotenone policy.

Time is a waisting, there are some nice Bass up shallow rite now at Badger.
If they wait just a little longer the fish will be out of reach of the shock boat.

Donnley big boss? he gets to do what Olympia tells him he can do.
Years ago a walleye club was big on stocking Banks with... walleye. Just because the two clubs I cited were trout clubs and involved with trout stocking and such doesn't mean other clubs can't take lakes or regions under their wings for improvement.

No insult intended but one should try to think outside the box. As you know I'm up here in Moses Lake. Next time I see Mark (can't remember his last name) from the Ephrata office I'll float that idea by him. I know I'll see him at the Moses Lake and Potholes walleye surveys.

The local Moses Lake walleye club has built a fishing pier/dock on Moses Lake. The city now owns it as the club turned ownership over to them (for maintenance) and is now involved in habitat boxes for sinking in Moses Lake. The boxes are the same as the ones MarDon did for the Potholes reservoir. With the resurgence of the perch and crappie in Potholes the boxes should speed up the results. Same should happen with Moses Lake.

I am a member of both the Moses Lake fly fishing club (trout) and also the Moses Lake walleye club. I am involved with projects from both clubs and sometimes they intersect as in the kids fishing derby at Connelly Park. The fishing pier was mostly completed by the time I joined up so I contributed $$$ so the club could pay the associated bills. There was a lot of community involvement on that. A number of contributors kicked in over $5K apiece, a fair amount of middle amount donors and then us little guys.

Nothing to say Sprague couldn't have a "Friends of Sprague Lake" association.

One more thing: WDFW does like bass as in the mid-90's I think it was Shiner and Hutchison that were close to fishing as WDFW was using them as brood lakes using Florida strain Largemouth Bass. It didn't seem to work so when the project ended the lakes were opened back up to fishing. The purpose was to get bigger bass in WA state using the Florida strain.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Count me out for a gathering on 9/21, we'll be at Roosevelt instead as my wife wants to spend the weekend there for her birthday and the fishing should be very good. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:36 am

Has anyone heard how many Largemouth were salvaged from Badger and stocked into Sprague?

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:56 am

none.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 am

That is a damn shame...... perfect opportunity for the state to harvest LMB for use else where in the state... sorry to hear guys.....
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:36 am

Another good example of sound management .

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 am

I "heard" a rumor that Badger was NOT rehabbed. Per my source, it appears the residents who use the lake for their drinking water ended WDFW's desire to rid Badger of the bucket brigade implants. I don't care enough to confirm the rumor. :-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:48 am

Some people should check and see if Badger was rehabbed before negative posts. Badger wasn't rehabbed and that's why no fish from there were replanted in Sprague.

It's been in the online Spokane paper outdoor section.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Killed off or not they could have collected some fish for Sprague.

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:51 pm

I am glad they didn't rehab Badger, although Sprague could certainly use help. For some reason I always hold out hope that Sprague will turn back into a good warm water fishery. I want to try Sprague again this year but I sold my bass boat. Now I've got a 24' pontoon and I need 3' of water to float it off the trailer. Are the launches at Sprague, or for that matter Badger or Williams deep enough for me to launch? I have never tried to launch a large boat at any of the small lakes around, only on the rivers.
Any time fishing is time well spent.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:21 am

I have seen pontoon boats on Sprague but have no idea what launch they used.
Badger is steep and deep and Williams should be okay for your boat.
Don't give up on Sprague, your pontoon boat would be a great platform for shooting Carp.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:22 am

A couple weeks ago a guy launched about a 26 ft pontoon at Sprague lake resort on the east end. Also a foot note, we caught a few 10"-14" large mouth this spring while fishing for trout with worms

tbrinks
Petty Officer

Post by tbrinks » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:04 pm

swb69 wrote:I am glad they didn't rehab Badger, although Sprague could certainly use help. For some reason I always hold out hope that Sprague will turn back into a good warm water fishery. I want to try Sprague again this year but I sold my bass boat. Now I've got a 24' pontoon and I need 3' of water to float it off the trailer. Are the launches at Sprague, or for that matter Badger or Williams deep enough for me to launch? I have never tried to launch a large boat at any of the small lakes around, only on the rivers.
Have not fished Sprague since the rehab, but have heard that they are catching some good ones out there but not many. We used to catch good bass (and walleye) around the islands and submerged reefs. Is it true that there is an area that is off limits for wildlife refuge or bird habitat?

The lake lays out great with all of the contours, just need to get a bigger population of bass in there in my opinion.

Regular Mapping

SonarCharts
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Have you Sprague Lake guys seen this? Sprague is going to be planted with 369,000 juvenile Steelhead. No joke!

http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoors/2 ... 08xml.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tbrinks
Petty Officer

Post by tbrinks » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:07 am

BARCHASER wrote:Have you Sprague Lake guys seen this? Sprague is going to be planted with 369,000 juvenile Steelhead. No joke!

http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoors/2 ... 08xml.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wow...the bass are going to love that
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:26 am

I don't quite get it. They think the smolts will have a better survival rate in Sprague than in westside lakes. I used to live in Spokane and I fished all those lakes. Trout grow fast there so maybe they figure the trout will get up to 10-12" pretty fast, too big and too evasive to make a good Bass meal. If they are right, it may be a great trout fishery in a few months.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:38 am

These are Chambers Creek steelhead smolts and can't be stocked in any westside lake with access to the Sound. It's either stock them in eastside lakes or kill them.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”