2014 Steelhead Wrap-Up/Thank You

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

2014 Steelhead Wrap-Up/Thank You

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:05 pm

With the Wild Steelhead season finally winding down here, I figured I would take a moment to wrap up the season with some thanks and favorite moments. The season started off tough with hatchery fish returns at the lowest in many years. However, as January progressed, we switched over to Wild Steelhead up and down the coast, and although it was by no means a banner year, we found consistant fishing as water conditions allowed.

January and February, like every year, brought the big fish. Numbers were tough, 5-6 was a good day, but every bite counts as this time of year brings the 20+ lb steelhead. We landed 3 over 20 this winter, and had a few heartbreaks on 20+ fish as well. March and April brought consistancy to numbers, when we could fish. March was WET! Many trips were canceled, but when we could fish, it was great. We had quite a few 10-15 hookup days from March through April 5th.

I would like to say Thank You to everyone who made the journey to the coast to fish with me this year. I know with puget sound being closed after February, it is quite a long drive to find steelhead, and I thank everyone who came out and fished. This year I was part of quite a few people's first steelhead, being part of that is my favorite thing about Guiding.

I will be leaving in May for Alaska to guide for a lodge on the Nushagak River, returning in Late July. As a result, I will not be doing Springer trips this year. I hope everyone has a great spring and summer, put lots of springers on the BBQ, and I hope to see everyone again this Fall when salmon return once again.

In the mean time, check out a few photos below of some of this seasons most memorable fish [biggrin]
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: 2014 Steelhead Wrap-Up/Thank You

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Three fish over 20 from our Fun Fishing Days!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:08 pm

A couple "first steelhead" that made the year for me
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.61 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.42 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

bigskyx
Warrant Officer

Post by bigskyx » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Bloody hell those first three are monsters! Good luck in AK.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:45 pm

bigskyx wrote:Bloody hell those first three are monsters! Good luck in AK.
Thanks buddy, ive never been up there. Should be a good experience

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 am

Good stuff Danny. I put more time than I care to admit in to chasing those dang fish this winter. Landed my first on the Skookumchuck and had to let it go because it was fouled from the hook trailing behind the worm. Sad to say that was my only winter steel for the entire season. Oh well. You live and learn.

May have to get out with you this upcoming winter season. I obviously have a lot to learn that can't be taught by reading online tutorials. My biggest issue is I am primarily a drift fisher, and I don't know what a steelhead strike feels like. I probably had a ton of hits that I missed.

Back to salmon season! I know how to catch those! LOL

Be safe in Alaska...I need you to make it back home in one piece so you can school me on the steel! ha ha...

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:37 am

mizm05 wrote:Good stuff Danny. I put more time than I care to admit in to chasing those dang fish this winter. Landed my first on the Skookumchuck and had to let it go because it was fouled from the hook trailing behind the worm. Sad to say that was my only winter steel for the entire season. Oh well. You live and learn.

May have to get out with you this upcoming winter season. I obviously have a lot to learn that can't be taught by reading online tutorials. My biggest issue is I am primarily a drift fisher, and I don't know what a steelhead strike feels like. I probably had a ton of hits that I missed.

Back to salmon season! I know how to catch those! LOL

Be safe in Alaska...I need you to make it back home in one piece so you can school me on the steel! ha ha...
Its all about experience. If you try hard again next year youll be suprised how much you learn and get better. I remember the first few years i steelheaded, i struggled, but once you catch on with a few successful trips, you wont look back. I can certainly teach you a few simple things that will dramatically increase your chances if you ever wanna come fish! Im hoping to make it back from Alaska in one piece, although i think im gonna be pretty tired of king salmon by then haha!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Danny, best of luck up North! The Nush is one of my favorite places up there. I've never been able to fish for anything other than trout because of the time of year but the river is awesome. If you're going to be spending much time on the river, make sure you have 44 mag or a ranch rifle in a large bore. The bears can be quite testy and they have you out numbered!!!! You've got the world by the tail! Knock 'em dead! [thumbup]
Last edited by Bodofish on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:56 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
Im hoping to make it back from Alaska in one piece, although i think im gonna be pretty tired of king salmon by then haha!
hahaha, yea right. Never.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Bodofish wrote:Danny, best of luck up North! The Nush is one of my favorite places up their. I've never been able to fish for anything other than trout because of the time of year but the river is awesome. If you're going to be spending much time on the river, make sure you have 44 mag or a ranch rifle in a large bore. The bears can be quite testy and they have you out numbered!!!! You've got the world by the tail! Knock 'em dead! [thumbup]
Thanks buddy! Ive never been there but have heard nothing but good things. Should be an experience of a lifetime! Oh and ill be in a sled so hopefully that keeps me safe from bears [scared]

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:14 pm

natetreat wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:
Im hoping to make it back from Alaska in one piece, although i think im gonna be pretty tired of king salmon by then haha!

Ive heard stories of 100 king days and quad headers morning till night. Ok... Maybe not tired of kings. But i might be spoiled!!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
natetreat wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:

Ive heard stories of 100 king days and quad headers morning till night. Ok... Maybe not tired of kings. But i might be spoiled!!
That is so true. You're going to forget how to fish living up there! You'll come back lazy and rusty!

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:59 am

Always great fishing with you Danny! Learn a lot every time! Good luck up north, save me a seat this fall! Take care.

Kyle Jones
Petty Officer

Post by Kyle Jones » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 am

Great job on the fish Danny. Glad to see you are doing well!
Fishing the Columbia and Snake Rivers for salmon, steelhead, Walleye, and sturgeon.

We strive to provide you with the highest quality guided fishing trips. Our trips are the perfect answer to your next family or corporate event. Let us help you make great memories on the water.

http://jonessportfishing.com/

Official Digital Anglers Sponsor

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:19 am

Kyle Jones wrote:Great job on the fish Danny. Glad to see you are doing well!
Thanks Kyle! Fun fishing with you this year!

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:08 am

What lodge are you going to fish for? I have commercial fished on the Nushagak for the last 10 years, this is the first year I am not going up there. There are tons of kings and the lake fly fishing is also incredible.

Make sure you bring lots of bug spray, the best kind you can find, price will not matter....

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 pm

ingi wrote:What lodge are you going to fish for? I have commercial fished on the Nushagak for the last 10 years, this is the first year I am not going up there. There are tons of kings and the lake fly fishing is also incredible.

Make sure you bring lots of bug spray, the best kind you can find, price will not matter....
Ill be at Alaska Kingfishers, Bob Kratzer manages it. They are joined with Bearclaw Lodge as well. Should be fun, certainly bringing lots of bugspray! Lol

chwong
Petty Officer

Post by chwong » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:53 pm

I had a feeling it was Bob Kratzer you were guiding for! Hopefully, there will be a ton of Kings this year. Although I am major bummed I won't be able to go Springer fishing with you now! I agree with getting good bug repellant! Funny enough, I bought some natural bug spray oil (no Deet!) and I didn't get one bite the entire week I was there in July! I'll hook up with you in the Fall!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 pm

chwong wrote:I had a feeling it was Bob Kratzer you were guiding for! Hopefully, there will be a ton of Kings this year. Although I am major bummed I won't be able to go Springer fishing with you now! I agree with getting good bug repellant! Funny enough, I bought some natural bug spray oil (no Deet!) and I didn't get one bite the entire week I was there in July! I'll hook up with you in the Fall!

It was sort of a last minute thing for sure. Early in the steelhead season Bob just mentioned he needed a few guys, so Jake and I jumped on the opportunity. I am dissapointed I wont be able to do local springers also, but at the same time this will be an great experience and hopefully turn into a yearly thing to rely on... Hope to see you this fall again buddy!

chwong
Petty Officer

Post by chwong » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 am

Be Safe. I know you are a Big Boy and can take care of yourself, but the bay can get rough during bad weather in May. Those jet sleds are loaded down pretty good with camp equipment. You should have fun trying to sort through some of the Chum in July when they start coming into the Nush. However, they are nothing like the mean Chums we get here in the NW!