The almighty BANJO MINNOW

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

RE:The almighty BANJO MINNOW

Post by the1fishingpro » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:32 am

So there just tubes huh? I understand how they might work better than some other stuff. Thx for the linky chad, I appreciate it.
If in doubt set the hook!

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:15 am

they're not really like tubes at all. they are suppose to "fly" under cover.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Bottom line , men lie women lie but numbers dont ... The retail tackle industry has generated over one billion dollars in sales in just the past 10 years along ! ....and if a sponser gave me a large check to endorse there products i would convince the world that "The Bacon lure" is the best thing since slice bread ..lol get my point ... in the stores it's not about what works it's all about what sells and who stands behind the product ... "dont believe the hype" !!!:batman:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:52 am

the1fishingpro wrote:What is the Flying Lure? I havent seen any Infomercials on it. Im slightly interested in what they look like and what action they take. Can any1 hook me up with a Link or something? that would be greatly appreciated thanks :king:
The Flying Lure was one of the most successfully marketed infomercials in fishing. It was one constantly during the early 90's and it was well produced. It was quite entertaining to watch. It caught lots of fishermen, me included. But instead of keeping it as a phone order, they successfully got alot of product to local distribution via Walmart, Kmart, even BassPro and Cabelas. Being able to see the packages locally plus a huge infomercial campaign made it a sales success.

What was the Flying Lure? It was a thin plastic tube and thin jighead design that allowed it to glide sweetly on a hoprizontal plane. The "genius" of the Flying Lure was the jig head was weighted backwards from conventional jig weights, so when you let the rod tip down, the lure would swim backwards under cover like logs, docks, brush piles, etc.

I heard a rumor that the original Flying Lure company went out of business a few years ago. That's probably because they failed to keep the interest level up and did a poor job on expanding the offerings available to consumers. It was a one product show. But they are still a common feature on Ebay.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:10 pm

CK14 wrote:they're not really like tubes at all. they are suppose to "fly" under cover.
That would be the "Flying lure" not the Banjo Minnow, right?:bball:
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:15 pm

cavdad45 wrote:
the1fishingpro wrote:What is the Flying Lure? I havent seen any Infomercials on it. Im slightly interested in what they look like and what action they take. Can any1 hook me up with a Link or something? that would be greatly appreciated thanks :king:
The Flying Lure was one of the most successfully marketed infomercials in fishing. It was one constantly during the early 90's and it was well produced. It was quite entertaining to watch. It caught lots of fishermen, me included. But instead of keeping it as a phone order, they successfully got alot of product to local distribution via Walmart, Kmart, even BassPro and Cabelas. Being able to see the packages locally plus a huge infomercial campaign made it a sales success.

What was the Flying Lure? It was a thin plastic tube and thin jighead design that allowed it to glide sweetly on a hoprizontal plane. The "genius" of the Flying Lure was the jig head was weighted backwards from conventional jig weights, so when you let the rod tip down, the lure would swim backwards under cover like logs, docks, brush piles, etc.

I heard a rumor that the original Flying Lure company went out of business a few years ago. That's probably because they failed to keep the interest level up and did a poor job on expanding the offerings available to consumers. It was a one product show. But they are still a common feature on Ebay.
You know, I still have some, and they worked well enough. I was always a little disappointed on the color offerings, and they seemed a little expensive to me in the old days.

Still, it was just a tool, nothing more, nothing less.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

smileyj206
Angler

Post by smileyj206 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:11 am

Banjo minnow caught fish for most people and I still know guys who fish them. The Flying Lure was a flying joke...

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:07 pm

smileyj206 wrote:Banjo minnow caught fish for most people and I still know guys who fish them. The Flying Lure was a flying joke...
It was marketing genius! They failed because they did not follow up with new innovations to accent their basic package.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:18 pm

i had some helicopter lures awhile back never caught anything with, even tried off the slag pile for rockfish ( they usually hit anything that moves thru there) and nothing. they're just as bad as flying lures
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:08 pm

I saw some of those Helicopter Lures in Sacramento last week and could not imagine anyone buying such a stupid-looking lure. They were on clearance, and I still stayed away.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:55 pm

a buddy of mine gave'em to me for christmas one year (he doesn't fish). i didn't think they'd catch anything, but i figured they were a gift and knew he was gonna ask if i caught anything with'em, so i wasted a fair amount of time just trying to get something with'em. never happened, i hate those things
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.