Puget Sound early winter hatchery steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Steelheadin360
Commodore

Re: Puget Sound early winter hatchery steelhead

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

I was thinking more along the line of a torch and a pitch fork.... But I like where you are going with this Nate

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:36 pm

natetreat wrote:Us guides should sue WDFW for loss of income, because they are idiots and didn't get a permit.
i've had several people tell me the same thing, lots of people seem to think its a good idea, and with enough support would work well
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Take money. Give us the money and a willing lawyer and we'll do it.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Alright from what i understand they aren't stoking any of the rivers with smolt this spring for the season ahead of us in a couple of years. So what're they going to do with smolt that they already have? kill them? transport them to grays harbor tribs? catfood?
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 pm

When they out grow the rearing facility in a few weeks, they will need to be moved. If an agreement isn't reached with WFC they will become lake trout.
[crying]

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 am

Haven't seen anyone post this up yet,
Got this from NW Wild Country..
This link is a direct Email to Governor Inslee, to voice your concern and encourage him to support the release of this seasons (2014) Puget Sound Hatchery smolt as scheduled. Secondly, encourage our Governor, our Fish and Wildlife Commission and WDFW to fight this lawsuit and not be bullied by deep pockets and private agenda's.

https://fortress.wa.gov/es/governor
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 am

The law firm that helped the fishingthechehalis guys has a link on the fishingthechehalis site. Was planning to start there. Can probably cut down on attorney's fees by requesting information under the freedom of information act yourself. I'd like to know just how much effort the wdfw put into protecting and properly permitting the PS hatchery program once the ESA listing happened in 2007. I've reached out to someone on another site that has experience requesting information from the wdfw, if I don't hear back will just google it and try to find out out how a request is formally submitted. I also plan to reach out the NSIA (NW Sportfishing Industry Association) to see what, if any, involvement they plan to have to combat this decrease in fishing opportunity.
Also seems like the science behind this BS can and should be challenged. Not sure how preliminary scientific THEORY, funded by special interests with findings that support those special interests goals (inherent and obvious conflict of interest issues here), can be used to formulate laws and policies in court. Has an independent state or federal scientific agency adopted this "science"? What gives it any legal validity? I don't know but hope it is another avenue to attack this BS and defend steelheading opportunity. Ideally, we can get federal and state judges barred from using this "science" in their rulings, or even better bar the WFC from presenting it in court and cut the legs out from under their suit(s).
All "pie in the sky" stuff but have to start somewhere and start pursuing something. Even if it's too late for this year's plants, long term, I think it wise to make it known to the WFC and wdfw we won't go away quietly (even if they are ultimately successful at making us just go away).

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Haven't seen anyone post this up yet,
Got this from NW Wild Country..
This link is a direct Email to Governor Inslee, to voice your concern and encourage him to support the release of this seasons (2014) Puget Sound Hatchery smolt as scheduled. Secondly, encourage our Governor, our Fish and Wildlife Commission and WDFW to fight this lawsuit and not be bullied by deep pockets and private agenda's.

https://fortress.wa.gov/es/governor

Sent! Thanks!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 pm

15629 Main Street NE, Duvall, WA 98019
P.O. Box 402, Duvall, WA 98019, Phone: 425-788-1167
info@wildfishconservancy.org

Spam there inbox with your objections. Give them a call and let them know how you feel. Contest their federal and state funding so that they don't have the money to keep this lawsuit going. Cut it off at the source.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 pm

natetreat wrote:Us guides should sue WDFW for loss of income, because they are idiots and didn't get a permit.
](*,) ](*,) Please explain how this is going to fix anything or help our runs of fish? If fish and wildlife can barely afford what they are doing now I'm pretty sure a lawsuit would ruin many more fishing opportunities.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:
](*,) ](*,) Please explain how this is going to fix anything or help our runs of fish? If fish and wildlife can barely afford what they are doing now I'm pretty sure a lawsuit would ruin many more fishing opportunities.
Lack of funding isn't the reason for there actions bud that's a whole separate topic. As for guides they should be given what they were promised one way or another but most would call that selfish.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:13 am

I just got this in my mail box
General Information

On March 31, 2014 the Wild Fish Conservancy filed a lawsuit against the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) regarding the release of hatchery steelhead in several Puget Sound Rivers. Citing the Endangered Species Act (ESA), the lawsuit specifically challenges the continued operation of Chambers Creek steelhead programs. In their initial response to the lawsuit, WDFW released a statement indicating that they "...will not release early winter hatchery steelhead into rivers around Puget Sound as planned this spring..."

The required management plan for these hatchery programs was initiated in 2005, but surprisingly, it has not yet been approved by NMFS. As a result, these Puget Sound steelhead programs have been at great legal risk for nearly a decade since they lacked the proper ESA approval. It is very disappointing that WDFW and NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) allowed this situation to develop. Once again, the recreational fishing community stands to lose opportunity as a result of the failure of fishery management agencies to act in a responsible and timely manner.

CCA Washington supports responsible, science-driven hatchery production as an important component in maintaining our fisheries. Losing these 900,000 steelhead smolts will have a negative impact on our state's fisheries and our state's economy and we encourage WDFW to explore alternatives.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am

Weekend-warrior17 wrote: Lack of funding isn't the reason for there actions bud that's a whole separate topic. As for guides they should be given what they were promised one way or another but most would call that selfish.
Lack of funding does play a role in all of this, but that's not what I want to talk about. I'm asking Nate why he thinks a lawsuit will help anything. How does further hurting an already struggling program do any good for anyone expect the group making a couple bucks off a lawsuit?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Sarcasm, yo. :-"

My point was that WDFW drops everything and caves to special interest demands as soon as a lawsuit is filed.

There is plenty of money in the WDFW coffers right now, they've been releasing 900,000 steelhead. That's the most we can hope for unless the get rid of the ESA listing, or new science comes out that shows that hatchery fish indeed have a negligible negative impact on our wild populations. As it stands, it sounds like NMFS is the agency to blame.

As far as lawsuits are concerned, they are the only way that our legal system provides to keep large organizations accountable for their actions. Especially bureaucracies with appointed staff that don't have to answer to anyone. We are getting stuck with a 1.6 BILLION dollar tax increase, the government's budget operates in the billions and trillions, money isn't the issue. It's management. I hear people talking about boycotting license sales, as if the funding from those even skims the surface of what our fisheries cost.

This comes down to WDFW giving in to special interests without regard to the long lasting consequences. Just like they cave to tribes refusing to honor their treaty obligations every year. Just like they ignore sport anglers on the rivers, every year. The government has an obligation to provide equal access to our natural resources, but they're more interested in making me pay for poor people's health care than bringing back salmon and steelhead.

I love the idea of a re-surging native steelhead population. It's not going to happen this way. WFC is suing the wrong agency, for the wrong reasons. They should be suing the power companies for not providing fish passage, for the monumental habitat destruction. They should be suing developers and landowners for destroying stream side rearing grounds. They should be suing NMFS for dropping the ball. They should be suing logging companies. The reason they aren't is because there is no way they could afford it, or actually win. They chose an easy target who has a history of ineptitude and gross negligence.

Fact is, without PS steelhead, sport fishing in Washington is going to take a huge hit. It'll be dead. I won't be running trips up here, I'll be living down south. Our rivers will close December 1st. That's 7 months of 0 fishing availability .

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:46 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:
Weekend-warrior17 wrote: Lack of funding isn't the reason for there actions bud that's a whole separate topic. As for guides they should be given what they were promised one way or another but most would call that selfish.
Lack of funding does play a role in all of this, but that's not what I want to talk about. I'm asking Nate why he thinks a lawsuit will help anything. How does further hurting an already struggling program do any good for anyone expect the group making a couple bucks off a lawsuit?
Actually its a good idea. The guides would not sue because they want to make a "few extra bucks". Its not about that at all. They would sue to make a point in saying that there are far greater things at steak with this lawsuit the WFC has brought forth than their BS claims against hatchery fish. The WDFW would then have to choose a side, and we would hope they would choose ours and plant the fish for the guides to back off their lawsuit against them for the lost opportunity of guiding for hatchery fish. Its not about the money the guides would make if they win the lawsuit, its about making the WDFW plant the fish in return for the guides to drop the lawsuit. Make them fear the guides more than those fly flicking maggots over at WFC
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

buzzardbait2
Petty Officer

Post by buzzardbait2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Nate, what we need is more proactive stuff goin on. this country was built on revolution, taxation without representation! We are being taxed to be allowed to even fish and now they will not release the smolt!? How bout some doers just go load the tank trucks up with the smolt and deliver them, i am sure some of the hatchery guys would even help!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:23 pm

The bottom line here is we are being ripped off, to be asked to pay the amount of money not to mention the money we put into the local economy is staggering for absolute dire service. Nate is 100% right in the fact that the WDFW bends over backwards for anyone except the paying public.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:26 pm

buzzardbait2 wrote:Nate, what we need is more proactive stuff goin on. this country was built on revolution, taxation without representation! We are being taxed to be allowed to even fish and now they will not release the smolt!? How bout some doers just go load the tank trucks up with the smolt and deliver them, i am sure some of the hatchery guys would even help!

OH I don't know the feds might think of that as a terrorist action. [thumbsup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:46 pm

How about someone just sneaks into reiter one night and opens up the gates? :-" It's not like they have cameras out there or anything.

(don't do it, pretty sure for an individual to violate the ESA it' jail time)

SilverSlayer
Petty Officer

Post by SilverSlayer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I just wrote governor Inslee about this lawsuit and encourage everyone to send him an urgent letter stating the following:

-the WFC lawsuit has no merit, when done correctly our hatchery programs can support a robust hatchery fishery, while limiting impacts to wild steelhead.

_If steelhead smelt releases are canceled this spring, many rivers will be closed to steelhead fishing in 2016

-The hatchery programs support many small businesses often in rural areas of Washington, they will go out of business

-Ask Gov to step in and direct WDFW to resolve the differences with NMFS and WFC so that the smelt release can take place.

Etc Ect.

I have worked with many government agencies on a professional level, and in all cases the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Lets make some noise about this.

Slayer