Testing baits/presentation in your bath tube..?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Testing baits/presentation in your bath tube..?

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 pm

Alright, I will cleanly admit that I am watching Youtube videos of guys hopping and shaking their jigs in the bath tube. [-(

Am I cornball or what? Has anybody else out there spent any time demo-ing their baits in the tub, swim baits etc.
I'm going out at sunrise tomorrow and getting into the jig thing for the first time, gotta do my homework, lol.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Re: Testing baits/presentation in your bath tube..?

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

I just roll to a lake from shore or something like that. bathroom is too small for any of my rods hahaha

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:34 pm

I'll admit I've filled up quiet a few 5 gallon buckets in the back yard to experiment with new drop shot techniques/ worms in the past, just couldn't wait for the lake. [biggrin]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 am

Nope never. The only time I've done something like that is this winter when I got some slow fall jigs from Fish-n-Fool Lures and mostly filled a bucket with water and tied it on 6 lb line I happened to have on the desk and dropped the jig in the bucket a couple times to see how slow/fast it fell. I lake test everything. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:43 am

I've thought about picking up an old aquarium tank at Goodwill for that purpose, just haven't figure out where to put it yet..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:25 am

I cant help but think what a waste of water.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:56 am

i use my buddies koi pond, occasionally catch one.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I use the kitchen sink to test neutral bouyancy lures and attach swivels to the noses to see how it affects the sink rates.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:28 pm

OK, so I wasn't THAT far off the mark. Remember, I didn't say I was fishing in my own bath tub, but I was watching other bath tub anglers doing just that. [sneaky]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:45 pm

zen leecher wrote:I use the kitchen sink to test neutral bouyancy lures and attach swivels to the noses to see how it affects the sink rates.
Yup, I do that also. And when I stick on suspend dots/weight stickers to see when the lure suspends the way I want. Only I use just a pot of water, not the whole sink.
Tom.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I've used an above ground swimming pool to tune some stick baits. But have not filled anything large with water for the purpose of lure testing. The pool is 15ft in diameter, with a air filled ring floating at the surface by design. Was nervous each time the treble hooks ricocheted off of it. #-o

I've seen youtube vid's where swimming pools are used for lure presentation. But a bath tub? What criteria would one search to find those video's. Plus the size of bathroom it would take to wield a 7ft rod in, would be huge.

Good luck tomorrow!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:11 pm

I test my jerk baits baits in our jacuzzi all the time , been doing that for years now . other times i will use the kitchen sink for soft plastics if i dont need much water (non chlorine water is key for soft baits) . [cool]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Be VERY careful you don't catch the wrong thing if someone is in the jacuzzi. Image Image
Tom.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 pm

As one of those YouTube guys with videos showing the bathtub lure demos, I guess I should talk a little about it. Guilty as charged.

Sometimes when you are trying to show how a lure works you need a controlled place to take pictures. Tubs have white backgrounds that help, and you don't need to worry about ice in your favorite lake. Also, muddy or stained water really seems to show up on video and ruin what we are trying to show. Sometimes we don't have access to a pool or hot tub.

Still, I have only done it as a matter of last resort. Larry Dahlberg with Hunt for Big Fish, along with Mike Faupal, owner of Alumilite, have done a couple of lure making contest that required lure video. If the tub is the BEST way of showing the action, then the TUB it is.

And yes, if I am working on a design that I think will work in a tub, better to fill the tub and leave it for several hours as I tweek the lure in the man cave and quick check it out then to travel, find out it does not work, then return. Waste of good water???? I'll waste my water far quicker then I will waste my gas! Duh!

On the other hand, if you are asking me about using a tub or bucket just to look at a lure, well the 5th amendment of the constitution of the USA gives us certain rights, and at this time I chose to exercise this right, and say nothing more. :-" :-" :-"