trout leaders

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
goonatic
Commander

trout leaders

Post by goonatic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:39 pm

what do you guys like to use for trout leaders? ive been using 4lb test seaguar fluoro, because its super thin and all, but it does break occasionally when lifting a wiggly fish or for other reasons, i wanted to see if 6lb would hurt my catch rate any? or if i could just use 4 or 6lb maxima for leaders? im fishing a lake thats very clear, but it doesnt have a lot of cover to fray my line, the fish range from small stockers to big carryover trout in the 3lb+ range

jd39
Commander

Re: trout leaders

Post by jd39 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:22 pm

With fluoro you could probably fish 6lb in that situation, maybe 8. I use 6lb mono with no problems but they're not clear lakes, maybe 4' of vis. I'd stick with fluoro and trade up before switching to mono for clear water.

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 pm

In my experience I'd say very little difference in bite for 4# floro vs 6# floro. I use Seagar too and usually 4# line. Rarely had it break - even with catching trout in the 3-5# range.

Of course I don't tend to lift the fish with the line. Consider using a net if you are keeping the fish. If releasing then often you can leave the fish in the water while unhooking it.

Good luck

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:35 pm

yeah i guess i might go and buy a net haha, my current ones are a little too big for trout haha! guess ill get a small rubber netted one or something, i might try 6lb fluoro though, i like the little bit of extra insurance,

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:38 pm

I use 8# mono and fluoro. when trolling the lakes (same leader I use for bass fishing). Have never had a problem with catch rate. Might go to a lighter leader if I was stream fishing, but can't say that I've noticed the stockers being line shy.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 am

I use 6lb maxima ultra green mono. I do pretty well with it. I have used seaguar also, i like it also, but I like the maxima line a little but better.. the Flouro doesn't seem to give me more bites than than the maxima, seems about the same. but maxima is much stronger. I've caught 12lb coho one after another on 6# maxima.. It's that strong, very reliable, can't say the same about flouro.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 pm

4lb mono for me, usually McCoy. does fine and use it on my ultralight spin setups and had steelhead to 13lbs.

Chromer
Petty Officer

Post by Chromer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:17 am

4 lb maxima ultragreen for my leader, and i'll be trying 4 lb maxima crystal ivory for mainline

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:51 am

I usually use 10lb mono leader
Eat, sleep, fish

fdelgado17
Angler

Post by fdelgado17 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 pm

My favorite is the Berkley Trilene professional grade flouro. I use the 10lb when trolling and 6 or 8 when bottom fishing. I have had the best luck with it for both trout and walleye leaders. Today a friend and I caught our limits of trout trolling slow death hooks with 10lb flouro. I was fishing in crystal clear water and that line is invisible. I have tried Seagar, Vicious, and P-Line for leaders as well but the Berkeley seems to be the best for knots and strength.

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:19 pm

I use Seaguar Blue for all of my leaders when I'm casting spinners or spoons for trout/steelhead/salmon. 4lb for trout and I'll use 8lb for salmon/steelhead. It's very tough/resistant to nicks or abrasion. This might be obvious/old news but make sure you wet your line down a lot (even hold it underwater) before tightening the knot (slowly) or else the line will burn and weaken at the knot. Also, fluoro sinks so I wouldn't use it if you're fishing from the bottom.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluebiller
Petty Officer

Post by bluebiller » Sat May 17, 2014 2:22 pm

4 lb Stren test line. Anything more may limit your number of bites.
bluebiller
Kent, WA
"fish-on"

rpbfishin
Petty Officer

Post by rpbfishin » Sun May 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I have been using Maxima Ultragreen mono exclusively for about a decade now. I won't use anything else. 4 lb on the bottom for trout. 4 lb for spinners. 6 lb main. Until the rivers open up...