fish i want to add to catch list

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Fish-or-man?
Commander

RE:fish i want to add to catch list

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 pm

I have never caught, but want to catch:

walleye (well, I caught a little one once, really I want to eat a walleye)
burbot
pink salmon
sockeye salmon
golden trout
lake trout
anykind of musky-like fish
pacific cod
tomcod

After I catch some or all of those guys I'll start day dreaming about non-local species like peacock bass and beluga sturgeon. :pirat:

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:10 am

Fish or man,

We have a good group that goes over to Banks Lake and Rufus Woods quite a bit. We did outsanding this year on Walleye at Banks. This Spring maybe we can hook that wish up and catch you a Walleye. Fry him up to.

As for me, I have never caught a steelhead. I went once with a guy and we walked about 10 miles, he had one on for about 30 seconds and lost it. I have heard they are really fun to catch.

Never caught a Salmon other than one Pink. Never really cared to either, but it might be worth the effort to hook into a big King.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:39 am

Heater
Steelhead are one of the best fighting fish pound for pound. A native steelie can whip you pretty good.
Any salmon other then Pinks and Sockeyes fight really hard. Pinks fight decent, but a silver or king or chum is a lot of fun. I think it's worth the effort to attempt to catch any of them.

Sockeye=tastes amazing. Fairly easy to catch in Lake Washington. Chums=great fighters, not great table fare, but OK i hear if you pick out a chrome one with no lateral markings. Pinks=plentiful and provide plenty of non stop action, tablefare is decent if meat is cared for right after the catch.. Silvers=great fight. acrobatic too. great meat quality. Kings=biggest and great taste too. very similar to silvers in taste but are usually much bigger and thus, a better fight.

I'd also like to put a walleye on my list. Never gotten the chance yet but I'd love to try it out...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:18 am

I want to catch:
Golden Trout
Muskie
Tarpon on a fly- Got two with crabs on a spinner
Bonefish
Dolly Varden
King bigger than 25 lbs.
Striped Bass
Any thing with Fins, winter is coming on too fast

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:15 pm

It amazes me on the amout of fish we have here in Washington State and the amount of differant types of fish folks limit themselfs to. Besides the tigar musky. I cant think of any other type in Washington state that I haven't caught. I would love to head south and Catch some of those huge grouper around the oil rigs in the Gulf or a Tarpin in the Florida Keys. Or for fun how about a good o'l hot day of noodlin.........lol.

Rip some Lips

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:00 pm

It isn't so much that I am limiting myself, its just a matter of opportunity, logistics and my gut.

When I have the opportunity to go fishing I want to catch fish first and fore most. Those that say a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work are correct, but a bad day of fishing is still a bad day of fishing. So when I go, I go for what i know how to catch. Crappie, Perch, Bluegills, Walleye, Smallmouth, Rainbow and when I am super bored and really need to catch a fish Largemouth bass. But regardless, I want to catch fish. I have no idea how to fish for salmon and when I hear of 30 boats in one area and 2 salmon are caught I don't get excited about my chances. When I hear people are struggling catching Crappie I don't get too down because I know I can figure that out after 30 years of chasing those.

Its close for me to fish for Salmon but personally I dont know how any of you eat those. I can't stand it. Had it smoked, had it baked, had it grilled, YUK! Not for me. I am not and never have been a big catch and release guy except when I catch a big walleye which dont happen to often. Now Muskie and Pike fishing is fun as I used to do it in Canada. However, if I am going to drive to that side of the state to fish, I am going to fish for Walleyes. Which leads us to my third reason. My gut.

To me, in my honest opinion, Walleye, Crappie and Perch taste better than any Salmon I have ever ate.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:56 pm

i have to agree with joe heater on that i would rather eat other fish than salmon though i have had some excellent home smoked salmon, but than i do like smoked carp so what do i know!

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 am

Pickled salmon is hard to beat. Prefer it over smoked salmon any day.

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:28 pm

One of the reasons I catch and release is for me the fun is pretty much over once they are in the boat. Salmon and trout are not my favorite food at all. Perch and Crappie in beer batter that is some great eating. Never ate or caught a Walleye but I hear it is really sweet white meat to.

carl
Angler

Post by carl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:09 pm

Tarpon for sure Bone fish, Red fish, Peacock bass, and oh ya
Mongolian Taimen! theirs a few more but i'll start with that.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:13 am

I want to catch Chum Salmon, and Native Steelhead.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:55 pm

I'd like to warn those of you that want to start Walleye fishing. Very addictive!

It is for me, and alot of Walleye guys, the most enjoyable fishing you will have. Of course there are slow days, but for you guys over in Washington NOT taking advantage of being in one of, if not THE best US Walleye fishery, shame on you. Its great for us guys that do chase eyes, because in comparison to Midwestern states there in no pressure on these Walleyes.

I agree with Joe , if you enjoy eating salmon, good for you. But stop kidding yourself, once you have some pan fried Walleye (Or Baked) you may never go through the Salmon process again!

I'd like to catch a 30 pound Musky myself.

Oops, just did it :)

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:42 pm

Nice Fish!
My grandfather used to tell us about how much he missed the midwest, because of the walleye.
Unfortunately he never figured out how good of a walleye fishery we had in Washington.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:46 pm

I can now proudly check Chum salmon off my list!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:19 pm

JimLyons wrote:One of the reasons I catch and release is for me the fun is pretty much over once they are in the boat. Salmon and trout are not my favorite food at all. Perch and Crappie in beer batter that is some great eating. Never ate or caught a Walleye but I hear it is really sweet white meat to.
If you like perch, you'll like walleye. Walleyes are great.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:19 am

i need to get a sturgeon
salmon shark
tuna
swordfish
blue catfish
flathead catfish
walleye
smallmouth bass
cutthroat trout
tiger shark
and of course my personal white whale a skate topping over a 100lbs out of hood canal
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:45 pm

I plan on adding lake trout to my caught list in 2008.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:32 pm

In 2008, I will get my dolphin and possibly a sailfish and/or marlin. Lots of pictures and a fiberglass repro to boot.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:11 pm

im on the hunt for steel head this winter, first year fishing for them but i havent been able to fish much. i missed the chum this year to, so that will be on 2008 list.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:48 pm

cavdad45 wrote:In 2008, I will get my dolphin and possibly a sailfish and/or marlin. Lots of pictures and a fiberglass repro to boot.

i was not aware that you could fish for dolphin, but i think it would be fun because they would put up a great fight, although I might feel bad hurting one afterall they are sea mammals and not fish.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.