Backup lights for trailer

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
natenez
Warrant Officer

Backup lights for trailer

Post by natenez » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Hey guys, one of my projects to prep for fishing this year is installing a pair of backup lights on the trailer.

I have everything I need, but can’t find 1 part. It is the L bracket to connect the light bracket to the fender.

The light bracket is an Optronics BK70BB (http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and ... K70BB.html) and the L bracket would look similar to what is shown in these 2 pictures

Does anyone have ideas on where I could find that L bracket - either locally or online?

When done the my trailer should look like this.

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Re: Backup lights for trailer

Post by rcthepirate » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 pm

I would check out harbor marine in everett, they have a decent selection of trailer parts. If you don't find what you are looking for there, I would ask one of their employees where you might find one. They could probably point you in the right direction.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:41 am

Its just a piece of angle iron about 1.5 inch. I would go to your local steel yard like everett steel and buy some aluminum angle and cut and drill your own brackets. They usually have remnants sold by the pound and is cheaper than going to lowes or homedepot. If that wont work look up to see if there is a Six robblees in your area they are a trailer place.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:36 am

I made my own

what part of eastside King Co?
Tom.

Interests: living

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 am

I agree, build your own. Either alum or SS angle or even some flat stock/sheet that you cut, drill and bend yourself. It's not a rocket science sort of thing. Even a chunk of wood, 2x4 would do.

If I had a closer look I may even just put the frame you have in a vise and bend that straight and repaint. Then it would bolt to the trailer with out a bracket. More than one way to skin a cat!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Just go to Home depot, they have this angle irons ready to go. Probably will have to cut to length and drill holes.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 am

Like they're saying, Home depot, Lowes, Ace, whatever's handy. Drill press if you have one, drill or neighbor's drill if not. Easy fix! Good luck!

Steve Ericsson
Petty Officer

Post by Steve Ericsson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:03 am

Yeah as stated that bracket shown in your pic is just a piece of angle iron painted black. Backup lights on my trailer is one of the single best upgrades I have done to mine, amazing the difference it makes putting the boat away in the dark!

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:16 am

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: how about you just put your light bracket in a vise and beat on it until it's flat????

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:52 pm

needs2hunt wrote::cheers: :cheers: :cheers: how about you just put your light bracket in a vise and beat on it until it's flat????
That's what I was thinking... I'd want to see it personally before recommending that though.. I'd hate to see it split. unlikely but possible. :cheers:
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"