Ol' Girl gets a new Ol' Girl

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Ol' Girl gets a new Ol' Girl

Post by Toni » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 am

The busted bow before -
4.jpg
4.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
And after -
5.jpg
5.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
The chunked out hull above the bow eye before -
6.jpg
6.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:00 am

After -
7.jpg
7.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
The port bow before -
8.jpg
8.jpg (96.7 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
And after - some more sanding and shaping was done prior to gelcoat but that is the last pic I got.
I, Toni, took the old numbers off and got new numbers to put on later.
9.jpg
9.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Three nice heavy coats of gelcoat, the final coat with a shot of finishing wax so it will cure out nice and hard. That will make it easy to sand out the orange peel and buff to a nice shine. I could've let this wait until the last step, however doing it now serves many purposes, mostly helps me put off sanding the floor down to prep it for gelcoat - so not looking forward to that, but it's rapidly coming.

Next step is level the seam in the floor, sand out the edges that form the fish box and bilge, put the shelves back in along the length of the hull and roll on some gelcoat to finish the floor. Getting closer, getting closer.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:26 pm

this is going to be an awesome boat for you Toni, so cool that you are doing so much of it!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:23 am

Rosann G wrote:this is going to be an awesome boat for you Toni, so cool that you are doing so much of it!
I have really done very little. Heat gun with a razor and the numbers came off in 10 minutes. Then 5 minutes on each side with goof off to get the goo gone.

kokanee_slayer
Petty Officer

Post by kokanee_slayer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Very Nice and some AWESOME workmanship!!! So is it safe to say that the rig will be ready by Spring?

Steve Ericsson
Petty Officer

Post by Steve Ericsson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Very safe!! [thumbsup]

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:35 am

Steve Ericsson wrote:Very safe!! [thumbsup]
=P~ Steve he means spring 2014. First day of spring is March 21. I am really anticipating the first time I get to go out in it. :cheers:

Steve Ericsson
Petty Officer

Post by Steve Ericsson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Toni wrote:
Steve Ericsson wrote:Very safe!! [thumbsup]
=P~ Steve he means spring 2014. First day of spring is March 21. I am really anticipating the first time I get to go out in it. :cheers:

Oh, spring of THIS YEAR??? [biggrin] [razz] [flapper]

kokanee_slayer
Petty Officer

Post by kokanee_slayer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:44 am

Steve,
You do fantastic work!!! If I ever need some pointers on boat repairs, I know who to talk to. [thumbsup]

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Ol' Girl gets a UPDATE

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:20 am

UPDATE:
A fair bit of work has happened last few weeks, time for an update.

I bonded the seat pads and DR mount pads down to the floor with resin/peanut butter, to make sure a good bond was had all the way across, I loaded them with as much weight as I could find laying around. Don't worry, the toolbox is not sitting directly on the batteries, there is a piece of plywood between them!!
1 Seatpadweights.jpg
1 Seatpadweights.jpg (92.11 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
Once set, they were glassed over.
2 SeatBoxPads.jpg
2 SeatBoxPads.jpg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
I set them a bit farther apart than I wanted, but there will be plenty of room between the seat boxes to scramble after popped dowriggers! Next came the anchor locker, pretty much the last open spot to the under floor area and it needed to be sealed. First, the cavity was filled with 2 part foam, and leveled off.
3 Anchorlockerfoam.jpg
3 Anchorlockerfoam.jpg (94.82 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Ol' Girl gets a UPDATE

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:23 am

Then it was glassed over with two layers, first layer of chop strand mat, then the second layer with the high strength triax mat.
4AnchorLockerGlassed.jpg
4AnchorLockerGlassed.jpg (117.86 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
This pretty much completed the glass work, with the exception of mounting the side shelves. For the next steps, mounting the shelves and gelcoating the floor, I have secured the use of a heated warehouse/shop space to do this in, so the trailer needed some attention next. The trailer originally came with the red boat, we traded them out because this trailer is far more stout. It was a roller trailer with only 6 rollers, two of which punched through the hull on the red boat and we don't want that, plus I am a huge fan of bunks instead of rollers especially when launching/retrieving solo, so we decided to convert it to bunks. The first step was to address the tongue and where the legs attached, which is way too far from the hitch and the tongue was bowing over the years, which you can see in the photo.
5TrailerTongue.jpg
5TrailerTongue.jpg (203.04 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
I decided to move the mounting point of the legs as far forward as I could, to just behind the winch stand, as it is on my trailer.
6TrailerTongueAfter.jpg
6TrailerTongueAfter.jpg (160.64 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:26 am

This will alleviate the stress on the tongue and make the trailer much more stable. I haven't decided yet whether or not to cut off the excess tonge between the legs, I most likely will so the bow won't hit it during loading. I also needed the legs longer to mount the 8' bunks. Since the legs were moved 3' forward on the tongue, the back of the legs needed to be lengthened 3' to compensate. Some 3x3 steel was donated by Kokanee Kid, two 36" lengths for this purpose.
7Trailerextensionleft.jpg
7Trailerextensionleft.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
8TrailerExtensionsFinal.jpg
8TrailerExtensionsFinal.jpg (146.86 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
Then the axle was relocated back 3' as well.
9Axlereloacated.jpg
9Axlereloacated.jpg (118.88 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:28 am

I made a plywood template of the bottom of the transom so I could see where the strakes would fall, which was right over the legs of the trailer. I decided to mount the bunks to the outside of the strakes, and cut some 1.5x3" steel also donated by KK to mount the bunks, and verified the locations with the template.
10BunkSupportFirstAttemt.jpg
10BunkSupportFirstAttemt.jpg (148.46 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
After looking at this for awhile, I wasn't sure that the bunks being so far outside would be the best location. I was not too sure of this plan, as it looked to me that six bunk supports welded to the outside of the trailer legs would look quite redneck!! I also checked the location of my bunks, they are inboard of the strakes, so I made the call to abandon this idea and go with four bunks, two per side straddling the strakes. This would give far more support and the boat will sit much better on the trailer. So, I cut some more of the 1.5x3" steel into six bunk rocker supports. I decided to 45 the bottoms to make them look better, after all if your going to build something, make it look as good as possible. I also cut holes and welded steel pipe through to make sleeves for 5/8" bolts, thinking it would be best to have 2" width riding on the bolts rather than the edges of the steel, which would cut into the bolts and this way the rockers would be water tight. With steel, that would be a good thing as they wouldn't last too long especially in salt water. Then some pads on either end with holes for lag bolts to mount the bunks. I coated them with a good coat of primer then a couple of coats of spray on truck bed liner, I figure that should be far better than just paint.
11BunkRockers.jpg
11BunkRockers.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

After that, I cut mounting tabs for the bunk rockers from some 3" wide 1/4" thick plate steel. Holes were drilled for 5/8" bolts, and they were welded to the trailer legs.
12BunkRockerBracketsCloseUp.jpg
12BunkRockerBracketsCloseUp.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:32 am

Most trailers I see with quad bunks have two rockers per side, I decided to put three for extra support.
13BunkRockerBrackets.jpg
13BunkRockerBrackets.jpg (146.1 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
In the mean time, I kept finding large spots of rust under the old paint, as I would find them I sanded them out and primed and painted them.
14RustRepair.jpg
14RustRepair.jpg (192.01 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
I welded in a cross member to the back of the trailer to put mounts for a transom saver later, and possible a roller if needed.
15Trailerbackcrossmember.jpg
15Trailerbackcrossmember.jpg (165.24 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:36 am

Next I got the bunk rockers mounted with 5/8" stainless bolts and hardware.
16BunkRockersInstalled.jpg
16BunkRockersInstalled.jpg (124.09 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Next was to mount the bunks. Two of them were free on the classifieds here that were removed from a trailer and two I made. The bunks are mounted with 1/4" galvanized lag bolts and washers, 12 ea. per bunk, they aren't going anywhere!!
17BunksInstalled.jpg
17BunksInstalled.jpg (147.99 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

I had to replace a bit of carpet on the ends of the used bunks, the rest of the carpet is in great shape.
18BunksInstalled.jpg
18BunksInstalled.jpg (97.48 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:42 am

And there we have it, a bunk trailer with quad rocker bunks! WAAAAY overkill for this little boat, but the way I look at it the boat will be on the trailer for 95% of it's life, it might as well be comfortable on there! One of the lights was bad, so two new submersible light fixtures were mounted on the back and new wiring installed.

So the next step was to drag the trailer over to Trent's and get the boat on it. I jacked the cradle and boat up to the level of the bunks and backed the trailer up until the bunks hit the cradle. Then simply cranked it on with the winch. It pulled on amazingly easily, I easily cranked on with one hand, could've been with one finger! She's pretty light without that monster motor hanging on the back.

MILESTONE MOMENT

So in honor of Valentine's Day, or as I like to call it - Single's Awareness Day, the boat and trailer were married together for the final time. The cradle is finished, it has served it's purpose well and is no longer needed. The axle most likely will be moved back a bit farther once the motor is hanging on the transom, we'll have to see what the tongue weight is once the motor is on.
19 on trailer.jpg
19 on trailer.jpg (151.03 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Trent even took some video to commemorate this momentous occasion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3QfdfGkHkE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you can see the bunks mate to the hull very nicely, straddles the strakes exactly as I hoped.
20BunksChines.jpg
20BunksChines.jpg (50.45 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

The winch stand will need to be reworked a bit as it was built for a different boat, but that is not going to be a big deal, pretty easy really. Other than that, and some transom strap pick points on the back, the trailer is a finished product. The free bunks came with side guides as well, so those will go on eventually too, but that's a last thing type of deal.

I hauled the boat the long way to the new shop, nothing like a nice cruise for a few exits down the freeway to blow all the fiberglass sanding dust out of the boat!! Here she is in her new home, a nice new heated warehouse/shop where the next phase of work will happen, gel coating the floor.
21 in warehouse.jpg
21 in warehouse.jpg (147.22 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

Getting close to a water test!!

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:16 am

Shes coming along very nice. You have given me some ideas with my trailer. A thought on the extra tongue under the nose of the boat you might add a roller there. That way it will always line up on the nose rest even if the trailer isnt just right in the water at the launch.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Toni, I have been enjoying this thread since it has started and have continued to be impressed by your glass work and everything encompassing this build. Very cool and it is giving me the confidence to do my own fiberglassing! Thank you and keep posting! haha

ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Post by ptfletcher » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Toni, you truly are an inspiration. My wife, Linda, and I so enjoyed meeting you at the Puyallup Sportmens' show. She got the fishing and camping bug there, and we plan to get a boat this year for sure. Maybe we'll see you on the water!

Steve Ericsson
Petty Officer

Post by Steve Ericsson » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Idstud wrote:Shes coming along very nice. You have given me some ideas with my trailer. A thought on the extra tongue under the nose of the boat you might add a roller there. That way it will always line up on the nose rest even if the trailer isnt just right in the water at the launch.
Idstud, I have thought about that, I'm going to lengthen the tongue about a foot back out so when backing around sharp corners the corners of the bow won't bust the back window out of her Explorer! The rest I most likely will cut off, or I might weld a couple of the old trailer rollers on here to center the boat as it comes on. Hmm, that's a pretty darned good idea!!