Sportsmen's Show for a newbie

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Ball_Gawd
Petty Officer

Sportsmen's Show for a newbie

Post by Ball_Gawd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 am

I will be going to the Sportsmen's Show at least two days next week. I am a very new angler, I just started in June. I fish mainly for lake trout with a big interest in bass fishing. I have a tentaive schedule of seminars to hit. Does anyone have any strong suggestions of which ones are "musts" and which ones may be too deep for a newbie? I want to learn all I can with this great opportunity in front of me, but I'm also a little leary of information overload.

Thanks y'all
WET HOOKS & TIGHT LINES
Ball_Gawd

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Sportsmen's Show for a newbie

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:25 am

Take notes and keep the notes separate by species, bass on one page, trout on another page, and so forth.

Go to the 'basics' seminars, don't even worry about any advanced seminar, but of course it sure won't hurt to watch those too.

If you use spinning tackle don't even worry about using casting equipment until you really want to and are ready to try it. YES you can catch big bass with spinning tackle, fishing just about any technique, don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise, some people won't even talk to you if you don't use casting, but those people aren't worth listening to. There are some professional tournament anglers that use mostly spinning tackle only. But of course casting is BEST for SOME techniques, and spinning is BEST for other techniques.
Tom.

Interests: living

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 pm

ball, do you have a boat? What method are you interested in while chasing trout? I will be in the Mack's Lures booth on Thursday the 23rd stop in and say howdy.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Like AMX said,feel free to take notes. Most seminar speakers are very helpful with providing excellent information. They can also tend to cover a lot of ground. If you get the chance,stop by the Mack's Lures booth and chat with Uncle Wes,I've had the pleasure of fishing with him,he's a wealth of information.

Ball_Gawd
Petty Officer

Post by Ball_Gawd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks guys. I had planned on taking notes.

I am going to be there Thursday, so I will stop and see you Uncle Wes.

I do have a little ole 12' aluminum Sears boat with a trolling motor that I am slowly outfitting.
WET HOOKS & TIGHT LINES
Ball_Gawd

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:44 am

Great, look forward to meeting you.