Snoqualmie question

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Snoqualmie question

Post by bdrlgion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Thinking about drifting the snoqualmie tomorrow. Any boaters out here care to weigh in as to what the ideal flows are on that river? Is 3000 too high, even if dropping?

Thanks!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Snoqualmie question

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:43 pm

I doubt that it'll drop. They said on the 5pm news a little while ago to expect flooding on some river, I forget which one/s they were talking about. Supposed to rain tonight, and tomorrow sorta heavily.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 pm

http://www.komonews.com/weather/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:01 pm

thanks. forecast i'm seeing at the moment is intermittent light rain in the snoqualmie watershed up until mid afternoon tomorrow, and then the rain's really supposed to start (and go on for a few days). we're just thinking of doing a half-day tomorrow, starting in the AM. With the light/non-existent rain from now through mid-day tomorrow, I'm thinking the river will continue to drop in the meantime until the heavy rain starts. that said....think 3K is too high to drift?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:11 pm

I'll be honest with you, it's not too high. But I would be careful of flows, because I'm betting it's going to blow by afternoon tomorrow. Best to check the gauge in the AM before you go. If it's spiking, you may not be doing a lot of fishing. Bring a big anchor :)

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks Nate! My thinking (and, admittedly, i'm new to this - so i'll very much welcome any input - having moved only a few months ago from the midwest), is that if we're out there when the rains hit, we'll just high-tail it to the launch. Current plan is to go if by around 6:30 it's no higher than 3K, and not rising.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm

if you want to see what fishing on a rapidly rising river looks like...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Wow. Well, fingers crossed it doesn't come up four feet in the time we're out there. That's crazy, Mike!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Depending on just where in the midwest you are speaking of, there might not be the mountains like we have here. With the rain tonight, the water will flow down the mountains over night and tomorrow, even if it isn't raining tomorrow at all. AND it'll be a BIG RUSH lots of times, instead of an even, slowly building, flow. Depending on the makeup/structure/depth/width of a given river.
Tom.

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Good to know. Seriously, thanks everyone for the eagerness to provide information and help out a PacNW-no0b. It's what makes a fishing site worth its while.

I'm from Chicago - the only gradient changes out there are landfills. 8)
Years of experience fishing Lake Michigan and its various small tribs for salmonids. Mostly rivers that fill up one day, empty out two or three days later. More like creeks or streams, not really rivers. I've got a ways to go here as far as learning the lay of the land and new techniques. I never heard of a drift weight, corkie/yarn, etc... till I moved here.

We'll definitely bring our smart phones w/ full batteries if we decide to launch tomorrow, and will keep checking the flows as we go down the river so as to hightail it to the launch in the event of a spike. We're only doing Plums Landing to Fall City. I'm guessing anchoring up/pulling plugs will be the name of the game for us.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 pm

I used to live in Aurora for 1 year and fished the Fox river, but only a couple times and only for catfish. That river is known for rocks in some stretches, and some boat insurance companies won't insure your boat if you wreck it on that river.
Tom.

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Yea, i knew some folks that did well on the Fox for catfish and smallies. I generally stuck to salmonids, since i lived pretty close to the lake. It's a whole different ballgame here, that's for sure.

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:21 am

Yup, a definite no-go today. Glad we decided to check the levels and not make the trek out there. Looks like everywhere is on its way to blowing out quickly.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 am

Don't be too dissappointed, escapement numbers from the last report doubled in many systems. This year was a sleeper, but it's on!

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:20 am

I saw that yesterday. That, combined with the blowouts most rivers are going to experience the next few days, gives me some hope. Anyone hit the Hump in the past few weeks?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 am

I haven't, been on the Sky, but talking to Jerry (our shuttle guy on the Sky) the other day, he said it's been slow. I'm more excited to get out and fish the Nooch, I'm going to make the trip down to drift is in the next weeek or so. Love the Nooch, although with the gate on Bob's Bridge, it's going to be a bit cramped this year.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Once I'm over this stupid respiratory infection we'll head out there one more time. It's over 4k and will climb more. Once it drops we may just be in business.
bdrlgion wrote:I saw that yesterday. That, combined with the blowouts most rivers are going to experience the next few days, gives me some hope. Anyone hit the Hump in the past few weeks?

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 am

Well if this doesn't push fish in then nothing will. Sky is over 16k and the hump hit a new record. It's at 19,300!!! I wish I could see it. The hump will be a different river when it settles. Crazy...

bdrlgion
Petty Officer

Post by bdrlgion » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Heading out there now with my new caddis float tube/fins.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 pm

I'll get your eulogy ready. ;-)

And please tell me you left me your Patriarch in your will.