Winter Steelhead 2013/2014

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Winter Steelhead 2013/2014

Post by natetreat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:40 pm

fishenfreak wrote:I aint gonna say where but I will say its none of those. [biggrin]

I see how it is. Nice fish though, early for natives yet. Keeping getting your clients on those fish!
primetime wrote:Another winter buck!
That's what I want to see! Put them up there guys! I KNOW you're out there, I've been bumper boating on the Sky and have seen all your trucks at Reiter! Or at least tell us where they're NOT biting.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:03 pm

I havent been out much lately, but did hit the river last week and and managed one winter hen....wondering when the rest of them are going to start moving in though!
Attachments
rsz_120131227_084540_4-20131227-125052.jpg
rsz_120131227_084540_4-20131227-125052.jpg (155.95 KiB) Viewed 2588 times

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Similar to last year, puget sound hatchery steelhead fisheries are virtually a no-show this year again. Whether its ocean conditions or something else, the hatcheries will not meet escapement, or just barely this year. I mean, Its january already. Cascade has 20 fish in tank. Reiter has like 10. Fortson has 6. These are numbers taken AFTER the super high water we had at xmas...
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 pm

dismal..

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Do they have to swim by any farmed fish net pens on the way out and in? Check out the video on the Canadian wild salmon problem related to fish farming, pretty scary. Someone posted it here. Who knows, could have something to do with it.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 pm

jd39 wrote:Do they have to swim by any farmed fish net pens on the way out and in? Check out the video on the Canadian wild salmon problem related to fish farming, pretty scary. Someone posted it here. Who knows, could have something to do with it.
Yep. I agree. Could be any number of things like that. Or a combination of all. I remember when on a good december rain, 50+ steelhead would die off the rocks at reiter. Guys would rotate off rocks after 4 cast limits. Now they cant even meet escapement... Sad

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

SteelHedder
Petty Officer

Post by SteelHedder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Bobber down! really nice little hatchery buck!
Attachments
winterrun.jpg
winterrun.jpg (128.32 KiB) Viewed 2535 times

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm

It is what it is. Whether it's slow to pick up, or a no show well see, I'm still working my tail off and killin' 'em either way. Decades of mismanagement, habitat destruction and racism towards hatchery fish has given us this mess. Apparently the Skagit got 6k natives back last year, so I'm not leaning towards blaming ocean conditions. If the cascade puts out less than 100 fish to the hatchery, something in management had to go wrong. Kind of makes you miss silvers.

I'm glad to see those pictures though! Keep at it! If you give them size 10 rocket red corkies, they will come.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:42 am

Fishing is my life. I don't get out as much as I want anymore. I love just being out there fishing. Catching is sweet but just being there is awesome.I maybe get one day a week to fish. Now that my mother passed on I have even less time with taking care of Dad. Every fishing trip I make is a great trip. Again catching is great but just being there is also great. Ive been out 4 times this season with only a Dolly (released). Good Luck to all and a Happy New Years.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:43 am

racfish wrote:Fishing is my life. I don't get out as much as I want anymore. I love just being out there fishing. Catching is sweet but just being there is awesome.I maybe get one day a week to fish. Now that my mother passed on I have even less time with taking care of Dad. Every fishing trip I make is a great trip. Again catching is great but just being there is also great. Ive been out 4 times this season with only a Dolly (released). Good Luck to all and a Happy New Years.
agree, it's not about the fish caught, but the experience of getting out. Although it's always more fun with fish in the cooler. [biggrin]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:25 am

I'm 0 for 3 with a small native caught (too small to count). Had a huge one peel my line out halfway across the river, only to lose it about 10 feet in front of me. Definitely got the blood pumping :) I'm also just glad to get out, and fortunate to have hooked some fish away from the crowds.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:48 pm

One of my favorite feelings is line being pulled out while my leg dosent stop shaking. We used to call that "the Elvis" . Its a great feeling fighting big steel.

woady
Petty Officer

Post by woady » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 pm

natetreat wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:I aint gonna say where but I will say its none of those. [biggrin]
I see how it is. Nice fish though, early for natives yet. Keeping getting your clients on those fish!
He could at least pm you the location :P

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:28 pm

fishenfreak wrote:Similar to last year, puget sound hatchery steelhead fisheries are virtually a no-show this year again. Whether its ocean conditions or something else, the hatcheries will not meet escapement, or just barely this year. I mean, Its january already. Cascade has 20 fish in tank. Reiter has like 10. Fortson has 6. These are numbers taken AFTER the super high water we had at xmas...
If you recall the cascade had an emergency closure last year......right after that they flooded in. I don't think it is ocean conditions, just way late. Look at the lack of snow in the mountains, usually a sign they will be late. Hopefully not just wishful thinking. 8-[

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Going to give it a shot tomorrow, hope I get to pull "the Elvis" while out there (I like that and know what you mean, hell I got it hooking into my first pink)! Take care all, happy New Year!

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:34 pm

Hope you're right goodtimesfishing!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:02 pm

jd39 wrote:Hope you're right goodtimesfishing!
The bad part about that is, the later they come the faster they hit the tanks/hatchery. Which means less time for them to hang out and provide us with great fishing.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:55 pm

goodtimesfishing wrote:
The bad part about that is, the later they come the faster they hit the tanks/hatchery. Which means less time for them to hang out and provide us with great fishing.
They didnt "flood in"... A few late fish showed and escapement was barely met. Even if that does happen again this year and they can actuslly scrape out escapement, still makes for some slow fishing. Hate being negative but its the truth! I remember when limit daily was no problem

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:25 pm

A limit daily by 9 am was common two years ago. It's slow all round out here. We went 1/1 today, but we hit it HARD to get our fish. I didn't see a single fish taken by any of the other boats, and everyone at the launch was empty. There are fish in there, you have to find them, and be the first guy to put your bait in front of them. Now is the time you do a lot of hiking, lots of rowing, and get to those out of the way places that you've stored up. Same amount of fishermen as always, but fewer fish means that those who put there time in, are going to get their fish first. It's been slow all round, even the Cowlitz isn't putting out nearly as many as in previous years. We're going to have to say goodbye to that fishery soon. I've been out every day for the last two weeks excepting Christmas, and we've had 1 -2 chances a day. Yesterday we went 0-5, and all of them were drifting yarnies, day before that it was plugs, today it was plugs. Remember, set the hook like you mean it! Because right now when your float goes down, it's probably the only bite you'll get all day. You could end up with a day like yesterday and see that flash, jump and cracker, and man, that's rough. I'm taking the next few days off, I'm sick as a dog right now, but I'll be back out there bringing them home. They will come ashore, whether they want to or not!
steelhead-12-31.jpg
steelhead-12-31.jpg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:26 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
goodtimesfishing wrote:
They didnt "flood in"... A few late fish showed and escapement was barely met. Even if that does happen again this year and they can actuslly scrape out escapement, still makes for some slow fishing. Hate being negative but its the truth! I remember when limit daily was no problem
Danny you might want to talk with Stan about that, your info is incorrect. Your info is only correct up until the closure and in fact if you where correct the cascade would not have reopened as it did. Think about it, if "A few late fish showed and escapement was barely met" was the case it would NOT have reopened. The fact is they got more fish then needed.....just not until after they had closed it. This is according to Stan and he runs the hatchery so I think he knows what he is talking about. He had predicted this way before the closure but was still willing to take the eggs from the ripe hens I was catching just in case the numbers never showed up.....which they did. Just trying to keep the info correct.