Cutts on Sammamish -- from the bank?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
No_Bad_Skunks
Petty Officer

Cutts on Sammamish -- from the bank?

Post by No_Bad_Skunks » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:58 am

In the 'latest reports' section I've been seeing one post after another about the hot Cutthroat bite on Lake Sammamish right now, and I have a ( probably dumb ) question.

Do you absolutely need to have a boat to target the Sammamish cutts, or is it possible to catch them off the bank?

Thanks in advance

NBS

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Cutts on Sammamish -- from the bank?

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:45 pm

I'll take a stab and say it would be a long shot. Plus, very little public shore access on Sammamish.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:21 pm

northeast end there are 2 fishing docks.
Tom.

Interests: living

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 am

Amx wrote:northeast end there are 2 fishing docks.
Public docks? Possibly a public dock on the NE corner of the lake. But can not verify this.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 am

MotoBoat wrote:
Public docks? Possibly a public dock on the NE corner of the lake. But can not verify this.
Yes they are public, big LONG fancy floating docks. Off the walking trail, I have no idea how to get to them.
Tom.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:57 am

These docks do not appear when looking at google maps. Must not be up to date. Are there parks in the vacinity of the floating docks. There are a couple of docks on the West side of the lake. One of which is definitely part of a City or county park. Southern part of the lake, I think.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:00 am

New docks, put in last year. There is a small park with picnic table and shelter by each, I think both.
Tom.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 am

Amx wrote:
MotoBoat wrote:
Yes they are public, big LONG fancy floating docks. Off the walking trail, I have no idea how to get to them.
I know of a dock reached by a short 1/4 mile hike from Marymore (sp) park, but it's shallow and full of large floating lily pads. Worth tossing a frog for LMB but I doubt very good for cutthroat.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 am

Not that one, that one is in the 'slue'. The two fishing docks are about an 1/8th mile south of the corner of the lake, on the east side. There is a resort or 2 on the west side.
Tom.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:50 am

Amx wrote:
MotoBoat wrote:
Hmmm, from the walking trail perhaps :tongue:

Mike Carey wrote: I know of a dock reached by a short 1/4 mile hike from Marymore (sp) park, but it's shallow and full of large floating lily pads. Worth tossing a frog for LMB but I doubt very good for cutthroat.
There is a fish able dock at Idlewood Park, west side of Sammamish. But as Mike stated, limited bank access. There is bank access from State park, swimming beach area. Seam to remember a sand spit adjacent to Issaquah creek, that others fish from.

No_Bad_Skunks
Petty Officer

Post by No_Bad_Skunks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Wow, thanks for all the responses, everybody ( both here and via PM )

In regards to those docks AMX was referencing, I came across a web page for a 'new' park on the NE side of Sammamish called Sammamish Landing. The accompanying text said that they were going to have docks at that park, but that the docks hadn't yet been installed. However, far as I can tell, that page hasn't been updated since 2012...so, could Sammamish Landing be the place?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 pm

I think that name is on a dock or the shelter or something. Sounds familiar anyway.
Tom.

No_Bad_Skunks
Petty Officer

Post by No_Bad_Skunks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Here's a link to the web-page I was talking about. ( Finally found it again. )

http://www.ci.sammamish.wa.us/departmen ... how=Photos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this look like the place?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Yup, that's the shelter all right.

And that's the dock that was falling down and was fenced off all around on the dock itself. It's not there anymore.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:49 pm

One of the two docks;

http://www.ci.sammamish.wa.us/departmen ... nding.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Access to the site is via the King County East Lake Sammamish Trail. For more details on how to get to the trail, please access King County's website.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/pa ... amish.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Access to the northern end of the ELST is off Northeast 70th Street in Redmond, near the east side of King County’s Marymoor Park.
The trail is also accessible at numerous locations along its route, although no formal parking areas are currently provided.
Tom.

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Ive tried fishing for cutts on lake wa from the shore a few times and the only problem is the freakin perch #-o . If you plunk worms off the bottom you'll get 50 perch before you get a cutt. Ive tried roe but cant keep the sculpin off. Suspending bait 20-30 feet below a slip bobber might work better though.
"I'm the best mayne, I deed it"-Eli

No_Bad_Skunks
Petty Officer

Post by No_Bad_Skunks » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:03 pm

kingroobes wrote:Ive tried fishing for cutts on lake wa from the shore a few times and the only problem is the freakin perch #-o . If you plunk worms off the bottom you'll get 50 perch before you get a cutt. Ive tried roe but cant keep the sculpin off. Suspending bait 20-30 feet below a slip bobber might work better though.
Yeahhhh, that sounds like something that would happen all right. Anyway, it looks like I won't be making it up to the Seattle area this weekend anyway.

Thanks for the info, just the same.

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:50 pm

I frequent Sammamish Landing about once a week. It's a good spot. I've caught several cutts there, but mostly in the late summer / fall. All caught on perch like spoons. The bite has died down considerably in the winter. I think they all hang out down south near issaquah creek.

It's also a great spot for smb in the summer, having witnessed at least a 5 pound lunker caught.

The photo above of the dock is actually only for swimming. During the summer people are really nasty to fisherman fishing there so beware. The other smaller dock is for fishing but sometimes it's overrun with swimmers.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 pm

:cheers:
W4y wrote:I frequent Sammamish Landing about once a week. It's a good spot. I've caught several cutts there, but mostly in the late summer / fall. All caught on perch like spoons. The bite has died down considerably in the winter. I think they all hang out down south near issaquah creek.

This is simply less fish in that system now that is why the bite is worse this winter. December on lake Sam was always top fishing and so was the spring and fall with good size fish. trolling a spoon worked great im sure it would also work casting one too but from shore id be using slow sinking flys if I were to target cutts off the bank.