bank fishing skykomish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
narrows11
Petty Officer

bank fishing skykomish

Post by narrows11 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:48 pm

I am on winter break for high school and me and a buddy wanted to go catch a stealhead or 2... We live in Gig Harbor and we dont want to drive to far (2 hrs tops) so we figured we would hit up the skykomish but we dont have a drift boat. Is their any good bank fishing on that river? Or is their a different river we would have better luck fishing from the bank on? Any tips would be great! Thanks
Just keep fishing

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: bank fishing skykomish

Post by natetreat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:34 pm

There is tons of bank access on the Sky, the park in Sultan, both hatcheries, the big eddy access, mouth of the Wallace. Coming from Gig Harbor, the Skykomish is a long run compared to some of the other rivers you could fish though. Out on the coast is about the same drive and you could avoid traffic jams on the Sky that we're dealing with right now.

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:07 pm

thanks! And which rivers on the coast are you referring to?
Just keep fishing

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Do a little research on your own first, if you cant find much send me a private message and i'll help ya out. :salut:

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Honestly if I were you, id head for the coast. While we finally had a decent ent weekend here on the sky, its always better on the coast. If you havent been convinced to go to the coast and have to fish yhe sky, find the hatchery

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:01 pm

this whole "coast" thing is confusing me... What rivers are you guys talking about?
Just keep fishing

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 pm

You could probably get to the wynoochee, satsop, humptulips about as quick as the skykomish.

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:00 pm

They're referring to the Olympic Peninsula rivers
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:09 am

Don't waste your time with the hump until it has another blowout. Me and some friends have been fishing it pretty regularly and it's just not worth the drive right now. It's flowing at 575, which is terrible. It's tough fishing on that river right now. Wait for a blowout and then you want to see it drop back down between 1000-1500. That should push some steel up. Just like all the other rivers this season, the lack of rain has them behind schedule.

Maybe other OP rivers are fishing better right now, but the hump is not.