Plunking/Plunking Shack on the Green River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Plunking/Plunking Shack on the Green River

Post by ptfletcher » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 pm

I am a new member, and enjoy reading the reports and viewing the maps and videos here on Washingtonlakescom. Great information for a guy that has been away from fishing far too long.

But to the point. A dear lady friend of mine recently became interested in fishing (she told me and the Missus that she has a fishing license and intends to use it ASAP), and asked me if I knew anything about where and how to plunk in the upper Duwamish/lower Green River. I understand the basics of the tackle and gear for plunking, but I'm not that familiar with the Green River, and not sure about the do's and don'ts of setting up plunking shelters or shacks. I'm interested in any advice anyone here would care to share about locations, tactics, or gear. I certainly don't want to trespass or step on any toes.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Plunking/Plunking Shack on the Green River

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:32 am

Key word is trespass. I doubt there is any property along the river that is available to set up a permanent shelter. You could certainly set up a 3/4 tent/canvas shelter that you would take down at the end of the day, as a temporary lean-to.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Post by ptfletcher » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the information!
Terry

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:00 pm

I saw a shack on the Green in Auburn last month. People were fishing there. Where I was, south of Kent into Auburn, there is a lot of wild area w/o houses but making areas for a shack might be against the law.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Post by ptfletcher » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Toni,
Thanks for the tip!

Audball
Angler

Post by Audball » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:26 pm

There are at least a dozen plunking shacks on the Green that you can use. I'm assuming it's a first-come-first-served situation. If I'm looking to plunk, I start out by the Riverbend golf course and work my way upstream, looking for an empty one. If there's not an open one, I find a spot nearby and fish until the occupant leaves or I decide to move on.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:52 pm

OK... I am an old dog on this site, and admittedly rarely river fish.
So, what exactly is "Plunking" and why does it require some sort of shack? I kind of thought plunking was when guys in lakes, sit on their power bait for 2-3 hours? They toss it out, "Plunk" it, and kick back.

Is a "Plunking shack" on a river, like a duck blind?

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:45 pm

The Quadfather wrote:....
So, what exactly is "Plunking" and why does it require some sort of shack? I kind of thought plunking was when guys in lakes, sit on their power bait for 2-3 hours? They toss it out, "Plunk" it, and kick back.....
Pretty much the same thing Quad. Fishing for salmon and Steelhead using a "plunking" rig which typically consists of a colorful rotating corky (spin'n'glow) followed by bait on a hook. The whole thing is held to the bottom of the river with a large weight on a dropper. Plunk it out there and wait for a bite. Being that the weather for fall salmon winter Steelhead is usually cold and wet, the shack provides a place to get out of the weather while waiting for a bite. :fish:

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:48 pm

My favorite plunking shack has a radio, heater, big comfy seats and 4 wheels. Just drive up to the river and depending on your car it might have a pole holder already built in. Drive up river access is pretty sweet :salut:

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 pm

BentRod wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:....
So, what exactly is "Plunking" and why does it require some sort of shack? I kind of thought plunking was when guys in lakes, sit on their power bait for 2-3 hours? They toss it out, "Plunk" it, and kick back.....
Pretty much the same thing Quad. Fishing for salmon and Steelhead using a "plunking" rig which typically consists of a colorful rotating corky (spin'n'glow) followed by bait on a hook. The whole thing is held to the bottom of the river with a large weight on a dropper. Plunk it out there and wait for a bite. Being that the weather for fall salmon winter Steelhead is usually cold and wet, the shack provides a place to get out of the weather while waiting for a bite. :fish:
So it sounds like "Green lake" power bait fishing....meets up with a sweet "Ice -fishing shanty" , dropped down in a remote place on local rivers. Substitute yellow power bait, for Spin/Glow.
I see a power inverter, and a stock of beer.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:53 am

Plunkins a good time if you have enough wood and beer to last during a nice cold day

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:07 am

During my 55 years of fishing I have never done this plunking thing in a river, but if it involves fishing, a wood fire and beer then I'm up for the fun. Merry Christmas to all fishermen(and ladies)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:46 am

I've spent my life plunking the Duwie/Green river. There are many shacks on the Green portion. Ive built two on my own and have maintained a couple others. The first shack I made was the Black River Road side of Fort Dent. The next was the "Strawberry Hole" right next to Segales paving. My favorite was between 196th and 212th on Frager Road. Now its unaccessible to cars.From 196th to Meeker has very lil drive in access anymore. Fires are not allowed in the unincorporated King County area along the river. I was warned by the KC Sherrifs two years ago. I fish more on the Russel road side anymore. There are still shacks in Allentown and throughout Tukwilla. The "NC Machine Hole "was a great set up. I still fish Allentown on weekends when the nets are out. The Green system was a awesome system in the 60's and 70's. I live in South Seattle . I can drive to Flaming Geyser with no hills at all. When it was icey and snowy the Green was my river of choice to fish.

woady
Petty Officer

Post by woady » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:49 pm

I found a plunking shack, a big one, in the Tukwila area with a burned wood sign that said "grandpa's plunking shack." Its on a bend at the green.

Racfish, I have a working car no so i was thinking about checking out flaming geyser. Highest I've ever tried the green was metzler. Segales paving? Does that exist anymore?

ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Post by ptfletcher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:20 pm

racfish and woady,
Thanks for the information. I live in Allentown. Love to meet up and talk fish. Beer is on me.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:36 pm

What part of Allentown? I keep alook out for property along the Duwie.You know where the island is in front of the lil corner store? we would cast 20-30 feet infront of the island and drop the gear in front. That hole was awesome then.I park at the community center in HDCP parking.Then I walk straight across to the bridge area. Im on for this Sunday on the outgoing tide.I need to look at the times. Im in a gold Accord or a Toyota pu.

ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Post by ptfletcher » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:50 pm

I live two blocks from the community center. It looks like high tide will be around 8 or so at the eight ave waterway. See you there.