Community break in camera crew

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dustinchromers
Petty Officer

Re: Community break in camera crew

Post by dustinchromers » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:32 am

I've heard that talk as well. i just think its crazy how far some idiots will take it. i mean criminal activity over some guide on a public river. i mean if you don't like a guide, don't book with them. simple. i think i may need a guide as my luck this season is running tough. i just don't have the time to devour to be successful out there. probably just get a guide and be done with it. then when i go back I'll know where to park my boat or what rock to stand on.

larry stram
Angler

Post by larry stram » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:32 am

Friends, please stick to fishing and forget all this nonsense. You are fisherman, not police , detectives, game wardens etc. Go fishing Have fun BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR GEAR. FORGET ABOUT YOUR "RIGHT" TO HAVE YOUR GEAR BE SAFE IN YOUR LOCKED CAR AT A REMOTE AREA. You have no rights in this matter because right are not recognized by the offenders. They are playing a different game than you. Things that work might include something good for everyone: car pool and rotate watch at the parking site and if it is really dear to you leave it at home or keep it with you.

Oh and BTW NOBODY is interested in your camera images or amateur police work. REALLY you will only make them laugh maybe not to your face but they will be laughing and your efforts will not be appreciated.

Almost forgot my friend in Ohio (from a tree stand, hunting deer) dre
w a bead on a thief removing his game cam while hunting yesterday. No one was hurt but the offender crapped himself.

dustinchromers
Petty Officer

Post by dustinchromers » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:40 am

i respectfully disagree Larry. i think a citizen has the right to police their property. if there were more guys like Bronson in death wish we wouldn't have so much trouble.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:45 am

Lets hire Bronson. [scared]
Tom.

Interests: living

larry stram
Angler

Post by larry stram » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Actually we do agree I think you misunderstood what I meant about not having rights. You have the right to protect property. It is a matter of respect of rights that is not shown by thieves. They play by a set of rules that allows you have your rights and They have have your gear. IOW you have them but it is only how you use them that will cause a positive result.
As for your Bronson comment I am here to tell you there are plenty of us. Ready willing and able stop "trouble" as it arises using measures and tools appropriate to a particular amateur
. Appropriate, useful, action with a heavy dose of personal responsibility for the action and methods used. I hope no one loses a camera!

dustinchromers
Petty Officer

Post by dustinchromers » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:13 pm

right on Larry. Bronson for walakes security liason.

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:24 pm

bronson is dead. but chuck norris isnt doing a lot these days. he might be available [thumbup]

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Nate, if you have no enemies, you stand for nothing. People are known by their friends, and defined in part by those that despise them. Sounds like you're one of the good guys.
Yeah, though I love the idea, make sure you aren't the one in trouble with the law. Criminals have more rights than we do, or so most judges seem to think. As for participation, if we figure out a legal way to help, I'd love to.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:57 pm

This is just an idea so please bare with me,
Why don't we just pull pranks on the tweekers. It will let them know we are watching and filming them while having some harmless fun that won't land us in trouble. Have a bait car with signs saying 'smile you're on camera' with some sort of temptation for them to steal on the seat and right as they go to take it blast a air horn while someone in a costume jumps out of the bushes and soaks them with a water gun. Maybe not that, but I think you get the idea. If you can capture them on film attempting to steal something, and then harmlessly prank them for it, I doubt you find yourself in jail. It will probably slow down the break-ins just as much as setting up trail cameras and all the footage could be put up on youtube for both humor and sharing the trouble maker's face.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:32 pm

FearNF: I'd prefer to bear with you, but not a bad idea. Those of us who are cynical will point out you could still get sued for giving the guy a heart attack, but it sounds like fun. Heck, even the heart attack sounds like a good idea lately. My caution would be the same as the others: they might be armed, and we're back to the above.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:35 pm

About the only thing that really deters is someone being in the parking area at all times. Tweekers aren't going to break into vehicles when someone is physically there watching.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

fishinChristian wrote:My caution would be the same as the others: they might be armed, and we're back to the above.
If the video shows a harmless prank to stop someone from stealing something that is more then obviously not theirs, then said thief becomes aggressive or pulls a weapon there would be clear documentation of need for self defense. Who knows maybe that will still land you in the pot but clear video documentation and multiple witnesses are pretty solid evidence.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:32 pm

True enough.

Diamonddave
Petty Officer

Post by Diamonddave » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Take off duty police fishing! They see a crime they must act and they usaly carry! More folks should get thier CCW then at least you have a fire arm to protect yourself as well as others.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Bonus points for SWAT team members?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Yes, and double more if they are fully armed.
Tom.

Interests: living

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:18 am

My sidearm is like my American Express...I never leave home without it. But the laws are very clear...to brandish it and heaven forbid you ever actually had to use it, you better make sure you can prove your life, or the life of another was in danger.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 pm

For 1, it seems they break your windows whether your car is locked or not, and I'm pretty sure they are doing it from a distance with a slingshot due to mine being broken with my dog inside.... They wouldnt have broken it if they would have seen him on the seat.... Lucky for me, he stayed put and dint want out.... I got broke into twice this last season and they only got maybe 1.50 and a bag of dirty bait rags.... when in the field, I carry 100% of the time but unless they are harming me or someone else, we cant just shoot them as much as i would like too..... If you see suspicious activity, call it in , or take a few minutes and hang around to discourage them from doing illegal activity.....

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Re the SWAT team member, check this out: http://www.ack.net/SuspectCaughtBreakin ... ATVan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tele_maniac
Angler

Post by tele_maniac » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Nate I appreciate your willingness to share information about locations, gear and techniques. You have definitely helped me to become a better fisherman and I've been doing this a long time. It sucks that a few knuckleheads actions even make this thread necessary. Yesterday I noticed there are four game cameras up in the trees behind the warehouse were I work. I asked my boss about them. He said he had them installed a couple years ago to help cutdown on theft and vandalism. The can actually be checked remotely from a website. I'll see if I can get more information from him about the cost and operation.