boots for neoprene footy waders

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Hepker
Petty Officer

boots for neoprene footy waders

Post by Hepker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:50 pm

anyone have recommendations or some pointers when selecting boots for waders with neoprene stockingfeet? i see some are $40 and some are $200. felt or rubber soles? hints and suggestions appreciated. [thumbsup]
Last edited by Hepker on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: boots for neoprene footy waders

Post by BentRod » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 pm

I have these (in felt sole) and have no complaints in the two years I've used them. You can also get them in lug sole.
Screen shot 2013-11-30 at 11.08.16 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-11-30 at 11.08.16 PM.png (147.82 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 2BProducts

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:38 am

Think about the types of terrain you will wade in. If it is Rocky bottom rivers, I like a felt sole. Stable, not so slippery. If you are just surf fishing a sandy beach, (Puget Sound cutthroat, etc.). You can go with a regular rubber sole. Traction on the sandy beach not an issue.
On that note, I have a pair of the rubba soul wading shoes , only worn once I think. I'd part with them for $20.00.
N. Seattle.
Ideally if you pick a felt soul, and you anticipate muddy bottom rivers, look for shoes that are able to accommodate removable spikes for that mud.
Whatever you do, DONT wear plain rubber soul on river rock. Recipe for ouch!
Look at quality of stitch. The $20.00 canvas ones will tear apart in one season. Seams should be well made.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:53 am

I got a pair of korker redsides that i love. The soles are interchangeable and they come with vibram style and felt. Great boot for the money.

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing/redside.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 am

The korkers with the interchangable sole work great. The only thing I do not like about them is that they seem bulky, feels like your walking around in space boots. I only use them for the felt sole when wading in rocky areas because I was tired of slipping on rocks haha. For mud and gravel I just got a cheep pair of hiking shoes that are breathable so the water drains out, much lighter to walk in. If I had to do it again I would probably have to go with another cheap pair of hiking shoes and just super glue some felt on the bottem. I think wading boots are way overpriced

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:30 am

right now i'm walking around in a pair of north face low cut snow shoes, sneakers basically. only problem is they are just too small to allow adequate circulation in this colder weather. so i'm used to and ok with rubber soles. i have good balance. but i do see the benefit of the felt soles in our rocky rivers. norm i like the idea of just a comfy low priced boot as long as it gets the job done. just gotta hope they can withstand the rigors of constant water and mud submersion.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:07 pm

the good thing about the cheap hiking shoes is that you do not have to worry about them wearing out because you can just buy another pair haha. You will definatly get your moneys worth tho. The only problem I see is when im crossing a gravely stream gravel gets in and does not feel good when walking around but their so easy and fast to get off a quick shake is all thats needed. But if your getting into a stream with good sized rocks you need a felt sole. A buddy and I were fishing the cascade last winter and he hooked the other side with one of my jigs and I made him go accross and get the jig back, well as he was coming back he slipped and took a dive with his rubber soles. It was the coldest fishing trip he has ever been on and never wants to go back lol

MikeLFP
Petty Officer

Post by MikeLFP » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:18 pm

I bought cheap boots the 1st time..Were never really comfortable and had bad ankle support. Recently bought a pair of Simms boots. Great boots ! Plenty of support felt sole.Only thing you gotta watch for with the felt is mud. Loose your footing real quick!! HAHAHA.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I have a pair of Simms felt soles, in the full leather. They are really sturday, only problem is the felt has worn off. I don't think anyone else would have that problem until years of use, I wear them every day, but you definitely want to go with felt if you plan on traveling much across the river. I like the idea of Korkers with the interchangable soles, because if the felt wears out, you just buy a new sole. If you're just getting out of your car at the fishing hole, to stand in one spot, like say on the puyallup, it doesn't matter what you wear. But if you do any amount of hiking or river crossing in current, you're going to want real wading boots. I don't like rubber soles, they're not very useful for our area rivers with rocky bottoms. In the mud, they slip and slide all over the place, so the studs will save you that problem. But studs mark up the bottom of my boat, so I don't much like them on the boat. If I were you, I'd get a pair of Korkers, with both soles and you'll be set.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 pm

big fan of korkers, worth every penny!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:40 am

I started out with felt soled boots. When they bit the dust I picked up a pair of Orvis boots with the studs and will never go back to felt. The studs stick to rocks like glue and you don't fall on your a$$ every time you walk through mud on the way to the river like you do with felt. I've had these boots now for 3 or 4 seasons and the seams are just starting to break.
The downside is I had to buy a 2nd pair of rubber soled wading shoes for the boat and pontoon because the studs tear up the floors.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:04 am

I also wear Korkers. Came with rubber and felt soles. Also going to purchase some studded soles as well. Love them. Well worth the $100 and I don't think they are bulky at all. They are super comfortable for me. Just make sure you try on a pair while wearing the stocking foot waders so you can be sure they fit. Mine are a bit snug, but not to the point it hurts my feet, otherwise I would have taken them back.

My vote is for Korkers.

Duckwacker
Angler

Post by Duckwacker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 pm

bugmasta wrote:big fan of korkers, worth every penny!
+1... I use the felt with cleats for rocks and the rubber cleats for everything else.

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:21 am

thanks for the input guys. got the korker redsides with 20% off at OE. comfy enough. speed laces. will see how the interchangeable sole system works. didnt think the sole was really any more stiff than other boots i tried on. sportsmans in FW def needs some carpet for the boot area. those studs on concrete is sketchy. lol