good deal on rods

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
bugmasta
Lieutenant

good deal on rods

Post by bugmasta » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Fethastyx rods for $95

http://www.mandeals.com/index.php?ref=435909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just order a couple for myself. good deal if you ask me.

mizm05
Commander

Re: good deal on rods

Post by mizm05 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:29 pm

So you ARE still alive. LOL...good to see ya around brotha. Going to check those out right now. I need a float rod.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Just order the 9'6" 10-17lb spinner. Thanks for the heads up!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:22 pm

thats a sweet deal...unfortunately none there that id want.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 pm

ya, no float rods per say, but you can never have too many 9'6" rods. i grabbed a 8-12 and the 10-17. nice to have extras for when friends are around or when you are waiting for a return. these guys are local too here in redmond.

much closer than loomis or lami down in woodland. you can either pick up at the shop for free or have it shipped for like $20. real nice folks at the hsop, worth the trip up there to say hi.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:01 pm

or a downrigger rod..that be the one id like.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:13 pm

ya, i think they were targeting more steelhead stuff since that's whats coming up. downrigger rods would be good though. will be nice to see if they do this again.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:03 am

Thank you so much for the tip, ordering one for Dad for Christmas, everybody loves a Christmas rod!

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm

eat-sleep-fish wrote:Thank you so much for the tip, ordering one for Dad for Christmas, everybody loves a Christmas rod!
you're welcome. thought it was a great deal so i figured i would share the wealth. plus i like supporting local companies.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 pm

This is a good deal...but dang was the customer service TERRIBLE!

Whoever the girl is working their front office was not fun to deal with. She was 15 minutes late returning from lunch, and as soon as I get out of my car, the first thing out of her mouth is "are you here for the Man Deal thing? Because nobody told me about it until this morning and I don't even know how to process it so you're just going to have to wait until I figure it out".

I had a feeling right then that this was going to be a less than pleasant transaction, which sucks because I was hoping to get a quick tour and ask them some questions. She was the only one there as far as I could tell and it's a small little office space in an office building so I'm not sure there would have been much to tour, but I was still hoping to talk with their rod builder to ask him some questions. Oh well.

So she looks at the voucher and just puts it on her desk and goes and gets a rod. I'm glad I double checked the stats on the rod because it's a 8'6" 8-17 and the deal site listed a 9'6" 10-17 on the website. I asked her about this and she said, "no, this is what you ordered". I showed her on the voucher where it clearly says 9'6" 10-17, and her response was "but look at the serial number, this is a serial number for the rod I just gave you. This is what you ordered". I again asked her to look at the details listed on the voucher and she says "That's a typo. I have to get it corrected". She never offered to look for the rod I thought I was ordering...I had to ask her if they would swap it out since the deal was misleading. She gave me a sigh and just started walking toward the back to look. Just then a couple other guys came in for the deal and he asked her if he could swap what he listed on the voucher for one of the other rods that was available through the promotion...to which her response was "well then you should have ordered that other rod when you completed the order online". I was blown away...

She didn't know anything about the rods either. I asked where they got the blanks from for the Chrome series and she just said she had no idea. No offer to look into it.

At this point I wanted to just get out of there so I told her nevermind looking for the 9'6" rod...I'll just use this 8'6" as a drift rod and use my Fenwick for floating.

Just wanted to share my experience. This is a killer deal...but being in sales myself, I can confidently say that if you run a promotion to drum up some business, and you're actually shooting for repeat customers...treat your customers well. I hope the rod performs as well as the reviews say...but I can't say I will give them my future business unless something changes with how they treat their customers. She was pretty rude to both me and that other guy.

Be warned to double check what rod you're actually getting. That details on that deal are messed up. Also, the 8'6" rod she gave still had their price tag on it and it was listed at $160, not $195 as the Man Deals site indicated. Still a good savings, but not the $100 savings that was advertised.

Just sharing how it went down for me...

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Well that's a terrible experience and didnt even get the correct rod to boot.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:34 am

wow, that sucks Mike. i have not had a chance to make it up there to pick my stuff up. i have been there 2 times before, one good and one similar to yours. if its the gal i dealt with on my second visit she is a real peach and about as useful as tits on a bull. my first trip there i met with some of the rod builders which motivated me to come back for a 2nd trip.

before ordering, i did the same as gfakkema and cross referenced the model numbers on their website as it seemed some of the stats were off. but i just double checked the rod mike ordered and it does say on their website that its a 9'6" rod.

FS-ST-865-2S 2 9'6 10-17lb 3/8-1oz Mod-Fast Med-Hvy

i would certainly call and insist to speak with the owner/manager and let them know that they are not honoring their advertised promotion. anyway, hope you guys enjoy your rods and sorry it wasn't a 100% pleasant experience. at least you got a good rod at a killer price.

bothellfisher
Petty Officer

Post by bothellfisher » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 am

That totally Sucks Mizm05. I bought a 8'6" Salmon/Steelhead "too serve and protect series" rod named "Night Stick". I love this rod. It's a perfect all around Rod... too short for a float rod but great for throwing gear and drifting. The reason I am writing this is to explain how great I found their customer service to be.
I did a big no-no and put on rod on the top of my jeep one time while fishing and forgot to put it inside before heading home from the river. I got home an realized I had done that when I saw the Butt section of my rod on my roof but of course the tip section had flown off on the way home. I called (left message) and sent email. I asked if I could purchase a replacement sections since this was obviously my fault. I received a reply to the email the next day saying to just bring in the other rod section and they will replace it for me... What? all I had to do was show up and they would replace the tip section for me? Yep... That is exactly what happened. I showed up on my lunch break one day and explained what happened and that I got an email saying to come in. With no questions asked the girl who I can only assume is the same one you’re talking about went into the back and a few moments later come back with a new tips section saying here you go and have a great day... I went out to my car and put it on my rod to make sure it fit and looked good. I realized it was missing an eyelet. I went back in and showed her she said oh no let me get you a better one. She went into the back and came back and a few minutes later came out with another which I inspected in front of her and it was fine. She said here, and handed me a baseball cap saying sorry for issues. so now I was expecting to have to pay for the replacement piece and never expected a free hat... all in all I would say awesome customer service! To top of off I had originally purchased my rod from their sidewalk sale they had earlier this summer and it came with no warranty supposedly. :)

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 pm

i'm sure mizm will post here soon enough, but i believe the issue is being handled.

this makes me think of the old 1-100 rule: have a good experience, you'll tell 1 buddy. have a bad experience, you'll tell 100 people.

i guess all i am saying is we are all human and mistakes happen. maybe she was having a bad day or something just wasn't going her way that day. again, no excuse for the attitude, but i believe the right people have been notified and the issue at hand is being taken care of.

mike will keep us up to speed i'm sure on how everything works out.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:33 pm

picked up my rods from the deal today and could not have asked for a better experience. gonna put them to the test on Sunday to see how they handle some chum and early steelhats!

this is their business office whereas their factory is actually in battle ground. don't expect to get a tour or anything as they keep only a small amount of product on hand at this location.

call ahead and make sure they have the rod you want at the location.

its unfortunate that other have had a bad experience but i would certainly still recommend this if you are after a quality rod at a fantastic price.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:05 pm

I'd pick some up, if I wasn't so loyal to TFO. that's a good deal on some quality rods from a local manufacturer

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:29 pm

natetreat wrote:I'd pick some up, if I wasn't so loyal to TFO. that's a good deal on some quality rods from a local manufacturer
Ya I can relate to that....

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:53 pm

gonna fish my new sticks tomorrow, will report how they do.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 am

The owner, Bill, contacted me directly. Said he would handle it and he squared me away. We'll call it good.

Fished the new rod on Saturday out on the coast and landed a trophy! 15 lb shiny chrome silver (also came home with an 11 lb buck just starting to blush)! I will say, customer service experience aside...I love this rod! The action is great and the power is perfect for me. Kept those pigs stuck on the end of the line perfectly as they spooled me up and down river. If another sale comes around I'm gonna get another one. I'll just make sure Bill is around when I come to pick it up. LOL
Fighting 11 lb coho humptulips Nov 23 2013 small pic size.jpg
Hump Coho Buck 15 lbs front angle Nov 23 2013 small pic size.jpg
Hump Coho Buck 15 lbs Nov 23 2013 small pic size.jpg