Wild Steelhead Abuse!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bcustom1
Petty Officer

Wild Steelhead Abuse!

Post by bcustom1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Thought the title might get a few extra views :^o . I saw this posted by fishing addicts northwest and thought I should share with all of you. I've always known not to take wild metal out of the water, but this sheds light on some things that I hadn't considered (post-adrenaline rush of catching a wild steelhead, at least). With the precautions most of us take with these fish, I think anyone who enjoys the sport should give this a quick read. Won't take long.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/steelhea ... n-know-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gringo Pescador

Re: Wild Steelhead Abuse!

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:30 pm

bcustom1 wrote:Thought the title might get a few extra views :^o . I saw this posted by fishing addicts northwest and thought I should share with all of you. I've always known not to take wild metal out of the water, but this sheds light on some things that I hadn't considered (post-adrenaline rush of catching a wild steelhead, at least). With the precautions most of us take with these fish, I think anyone who enjoys the sport should give this a quick read. Won't take long.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/steelhea ... n-know-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You beat me to it, I saw this article and thought it would be a good one for here. I think it applies to salmon as well...
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:32 pm

thank you for this. excellent article. i hate seeing fish beached. i like the knee deep approach, now there's some fact to back up my suspicion.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Wow that is interesting and good to know. I once read an article about picking up sturgeon out of the water, basically it does serious damage as they're so heavy it crushes their organs. If ever I come across it I'll post it up.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:26 pm

It makes a lot of sense. That was a good article. It's common practice to bring it to the shallows to tail and let them go like the article says, most people wouldn't even think of the concussion issue. It makes sense, the other day the fish bat fell over the side, and in lieu of a bonk I punched it in the head. It only took one punch and the fish was twitching enough to put in the box. Imagine what the strength of a big steelhead against a rock would do. Knotless net and knee deep release from now on.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Great article. Thanks f9r sharing. And nate you kn9w I love the fish punching move, recently I was fishing in the sound with my bro and caught a nice silver and decide to bare knuckle it. The thing bit down and twitched around sawing into my hand. Every one at work was asking what happened and I had to explain that I got bit by a coho :scratch:

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 pm

kung po fish punch!

Another problem with bringing a fish into the shallows is rubbing the slime off and sand in the gills. Glad to see there is some awareness about this subject though.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:kung po fish punch!

Another problem with bringing a fish into the shallows is rubbing the slime off and sand in the gills. Glad to see there is some awareness about this subject though.
When you tail a fish I was taught to get your hands wet first to protect the slime coat. Do you guys do this? In your opinion does it really help?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:54 pm

i saw this online as well, very good article. Get a knotless net, or land em on a soft bank or in the water... still surprising such a strong, versatile fish that goes through so much in its life can be killed by something like that. Good article to get people aware
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 pm

a wet hand is best. better than a tailing glove. cotton is bad

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 pm

ive seen some amazing things steelhead fishing, a lot of it on the Vedder actually. People dragging fish up on the beach 20 feet, checking to see if its wild, and when it is, just sliding it back along the rocks to the water with their boots... definitely not good... its not worth the picture to drag it up on the beach. Ive taken some crap for taking pictures of wild steelhead, but if people actually knew how we landed the fish in the water away from the beach, kept it fully submerged until the camera is ready, take 2 seconds for a photo and release, its actually a very fish-friendly process, much better than most of the releases i see on the water

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Those fish are beautiful. Wild Steelhead at its best

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:27 pm

The two worse abusers Ive seen are Freak and Nate. They catch way too many fish in general.I cant wait till Freak gets married so maybe there will' be fish for me to catch. :-({|= Hehehehe..

kromekrusher
Petty Officer

Post by kromekrusher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:02 pm

WOW :pr:

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:26 am

Thank you, it is a very interesting article. [thumbup]

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:04 am

natetreat wrote:It makes a lot of sense. That was a good article. It's common practice to bring it to the shallows to tail and let them go like the article says, most people wouldn't even think of the concussion issue. It makes sense, the other day the fish bat fell over the side, and in lieu of a bonk I punched it in the head. It only took one punch and the fish was twitching enough to put in the box. Imagine what the strength of a big steelhead against a rock would do. Knotless net and knee deep release from now on.
I recently used my needle nose pliers to bonk a large silver that wouldnt stop flailing. I thought it might calm him down a little. it killed him dead without much force, I was really surprised.

this article will change my landing pratice as I have alway pulled fish onto the bank to un hook them never thinking that they were getting injured