My smoked chum yummy!

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
soundkite
Petty Officer

My smoked chum yummy!

Post by soundkite » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Success! After reading so many comments about chum being pet food, my expectations were low, but I am thrilled with my alder and charcoal smoked 10+ pounder buck, darker Green River fish, pink meat! I caught it on Wednesday, brined it with brown sugar, salt, and garlic overnight before smoking it for about 3 hours. This was my first ever chum, and I also noticed, during preparation, that the skin was less slimy than the pinks I've smoked... and much thicker fillets, too. I also broiled a small piece cajun style just hours after catching it and really enjoyed that. This chum tasted similar to pink salmon and could appeal to those who typically don't like the "strong" taste of salmon. Time to hunt a few more.

sickbayer
Commodore

Re: My smoked chum yummy!

Post by sickbayer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:03 am

I noticed in Canada while working there nearly all there smoked salmon in the food stores are chum! So I'm sure there are ways to make it is enjoyable. I've had it and its OK.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Most of the smoked chum you get is caught in the salt. The river fish are quite different after a couple of days in the fresh. They aren't my favorite, but they'll do in a pinch.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 am

Maybe I haven't tasted a darker chum yet. I've been catching bright ones and they smoke up just fine. The meat looks pretty white once cooked, but in my opinion, it's actually milder than "regular" salmon, which is fine by me. I thought it tasted pretty good. I also smoked them.

Haven't noticed what people are talking about...maybe I'll find out someday when I try to prepare one that isn't so bright?

KIDKOKANEE
Petty Officer

Post by KIDKOKANEE » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:25 pm

QUICK RECIPE (FILET EM DEBONE EM) PAT EM DRY 2 CUPS BROWN SUGAR 1 CUP SALT 1 CUP SUGAR MIX IN BOWL Put Fillets in a Bar B Que Pan 3" sides aprox 2 to 3 fish med sized enough to fill smoker with some breathing room!! place in pan skins down pour mix over fish refridgerate over night or aprox 5 hours slight rinse put fish on smoker grills spray with a grill non stick and turn a fan on em couple hours should look a little like plastic start smoker pure maple syrup over the tops with a baster and smoker em for 5 plus hours aprox 180 or higher watch em think on bottom smalls on top watch for a maroon redish color chk inner temps aprox 165 some say 140 make sure its cooked good !! It should taste good freeze after a couple days either freezer bags or seal a meals !! ITS FUN !! Neighbors love the Smells Smells like Home Sweet Home !! Little bit in the air and smell of apple or hickory chips or mixed slighly moistened an apple juice on water tray or mixed in wood!! And there you go ! have FUN!! n Enjoy!!! :cheers: [thumbsup] [thumbup]

KIDKOKANEE
Petty Officer

Post by KIDKOKANEE » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:27 pm

QUICK RECIPE (FILET EM DEBONE EM) PAT EM DRY 2 CUPS BROWN SUGAR 1 CUP SALT 1 CUP SUGAR MIX IN BOWL Put Fillets in a Bar B Que Pan 3" sides aprox 2 to 3 fish med sized enough to fill smoker with some breathing room!! place in pan skins down pour mix over fish refridgerate over night or aprox 5 hours slight rinse put fish on smoker grills spray with a grill non stick and turn a fan on em couple hours should look a little like plastic start smoker pure maple syrup over the tops with a baster and smoker em for 5 plus hours aprox 180 or higher watch em think on bottom smalls on top watch for a maroon redish color chk inner temps aprox 165 some say 140 make sure its cooked good !! It should taste good freeze after a couple days either freezer bags or seal a meals !! ITS FUN !! Neighbors love the Smells Smells like Home Sweet Home !! Little bit in the air and smell of apple or hickory chips or mixed slighly moistened an apple juice on water tray or mixed in wood!! And there you go ! have FUN!! n Enjoy!!! :cheers: [thumbsup] [thumbup] :fish:

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”