Calif. river fishing

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
king killer
Warrant Officer

Calif. river fishing

Post by king killer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:34 pm

So I just moved to California from Washington because of the Navy. Loved every minute of it in Washington and for sure will be back. I heard of a couple rivers that get steelhead and other types of salmon in it here in California, including Eel Mad and Klamath rivers. Never have fished these rivers and was hoping to get some advice techniques etc... if any have fished it before. PM's would be greatly appreciated if you don't want to post anything on a public forum Thanks in advance, David

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Cal

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:34 pm

theres a thing called google works pretty good, you could type in "(name of river) steelhead fishing" or "(name of river) fishing reports" these normally help me. Also reading books might help, I know its been a while for you but it might be time to dust off the ol reading glasses :cheers:
can never go wrong with corky and yarn and eggs or a bobber and jig [thumbsup]

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Hahaha alright thanks Brat ! Thanks for the tips [wink]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:08 am

My advice for any Salmon fishing in any CA rivers is to be very careful and make sure you know the regs.. Most rivers are closed to salmon fishing especially Kings and from what I've seen the few places you can fish for them it's selective gear, C&R only. If anyone thinks we have trouble with our Salmon runs has not been involved in the CA fisheries. If you're looking for a good fish fight down south, find a guide to take you out Striper fishing. They hit like a ton of bricks and fight better than any salmon you've ever hooked.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks Bodo ! Strpier fishing sounds like very much fun especially on the fly !

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 am

king killer wrote:Thanks Bodo ! Strpier fishing sounds like very much fun especially on the fly !
Oh yeah!!! Big streamers and buck tails with a fast strip! Better have a 10-12 wt.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bcustom1
Petty Officer

Post by bcustom1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:28 am

David, you bailed?! Lame! Haha my uncle is nuts about fishing and he lived in California for 30 years. King salmon, halibut, shark, striper.. You name it! What area did you move to? I'll ask him about it.

I've seen you slay and I personally believe it would be unhealthy and detrimental to your adolescent development for you to go very long without fishing ;).

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:38 pm

bcustom1 wrote:David, you bailed?! Lame! Haha my uncle is nuts about fishing and he lived in California for 30 years. King salmon, halibut, shark, striper.. You name it! What area did you move to? I'll ask him about it.

I've seen you slay and I personally believe it would be unhealthy and detrimental to your adolescent development for you to go very long without fishing ;).
Hahaha yeah bro it sucks ! I moved to the Sandiego area, so rivers with salmon are a 7 hour drive away. Dont worry Ive been doing much mackerel and croaker fishing so I should be fine ! Judging by the Facebook pics its looking like your putting a hurt on those fish too ! If I come back for vacation this summer we will definately have to hit the mouth of that secret river with Hunter again !

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Re: Calif. river fishing

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:22 pm

When I moved to Arizona it killed me not being able to catch salmon. Lol

Another option, theres some piers in San Diego, you can use 2 poles down there...Use 1 to catch mackerel that are right below the pier, and cut off small pieces and put them on your other rod, cast as far as you can out, and youll catch shovel nose sharks like its nothing. Ton of fun to catch, and they can be 8-9 ft in length too
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

dicinu
Commander

Re: Calif. river fishing

Post by dicinu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 pm

I am moving down that way at the end of the month Carlsbad actually I will be out fishing the Piers a lot until I get the Boat the ole lady promised me then off for tuna.

I am no stranger to Strippers they are a blast to catch I mainly fished them in Lake Mead and the Colorado river I do want to target them in the Salt though

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”