Sickening salmon snagging video

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fishingadam
Petty Officer

Sickening salmon snagging video

Post by Fishingadam » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:56 pm

Saw this on YouTube.

Chum Snag Fest October 2013.

Look this up and if you can post the link for others to see. We need to put an end to this. I fish correctly and fair hook my fish while I watch people like this every time I go. [cursing]

schu7498
Commander

Re: Sickening salmon snagging video

Post by schu7498 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:24 pm

Haha seeing all that effort for a chum makes me laugh. Much easier to drift a bobber and jig tipped with shrimp. Half the work and way more hookups. The snagger also looks a little paranoid. Haha mason county locals, the only thing missing is a pit bull to keep the other fishermen away.

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:00 am

For real. And quite frankly, I don't care how bright it is, I wouldn't feed a chum out of the river to my dog. They are crap. Great sport though. That sure is a lot of trouble to harvest a fish that tastes like garbage.

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 am

Anyone see how many fish he'd tossed into that ditch across the street after killing them?

Sickening...........

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:37 am

What a f#$%@#g idiot! That looks like a superb stretch of river to fish.....why not FISH it and CATCH fish.......I just dont get it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4G1R84swgU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 am

rcthepirate wrote:For real. And quite frankly, I don't care how bright it is, I wouldn't feed a chum out of the river to my dog. They are crap. Great sport though. That sure is a lot of trouble to harvest a fish that tastes like garbage.
I have to agree on this. Ive caught landed a lot of river chums and I always release them unless its a hen. To me they don't even taste good smoked.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:21 am

Looks to be a ~14yr old kid to me, if i had to guess i doubt he's recieved much instruction on ethical angling practices. I blame the adults around him more than him frankly. Very sad. [thumbdn]

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 am

You don't see any of the adults around him (except one guy down the street aways) doing it (at least as blatently as this kid). Makes me wonder if they got him doing it because he is under age and therefore not going to get in as much trouble as an adult if caught (you ain't 18 you wont be doing any time).
The way he is holding the camera suggests to me he was filming without their knowledge. Hopefully that means he gave the footage to someone that can follow up.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:44 am

Parents fault, kid did not figure this out on his own. What I want to know is if anyone there thought to call the poaching hotline? If not, why? Makes me very angry to see our resources abused like this.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:49 am

The thread goes on to say the kid is a tribal member....is it legal for Indians to snag fish?

Fishingadam
Petty Officer

Post by Fishingadam » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 am

Pretty sure that is a little native boy. Parents encourage them to do it. They go to every deep hole I fish and clean river leaving nothing for the rest. Then everyone leaves like they want. They are getting there way and no one will stop them. Very ceremonial if you ask me.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 am

And the people just sit there and watch. Tribal or not I would have thrown that worthless boy in and start to throw that treble at him.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:53 am

Y'all can fight this till your blue in the face and nothing will change it. Fishing groups and clubs back in the 70's tried to deaf ears. We went to the Public Market that sold OP steelhead. we protested at Safeway who sold Net caught fish. The state dosent want to hear from us at all. The WDFW is run by the 4 big tribes in Washington. The Muckleshoot manage the sockeye in Lk wa. The same monitor the Duwie/ Green. So on and so on . We havent fished sockeye in Lk Wa but the Native nets go in every year. Its called Ceremonial Fishery. Personally I gave up trying to make the fishing in Wa. fair. It just wont happen. I wish you all good luck trying.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:18 am

The boy is young, just needs a little teaching......I say foul hook HIM in the forehead a few times and then see if he continues. REALLY though, Please people when you see this kind of thing report it. I know it seems like nothing is ever done but do your part and at least call it in. Then at least you will be doing the right thing.

Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Post by Jhuynh2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 pm

wow, I hope the WDFW uses this video next yr when negotiating with tribes on the skok b/c the natives say us fisherman are doing this yet, it is a native who is way over the limit in this video.
Totally ridiculous why he has to hit the fish that many times - unethical

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Just wrong and it looks like the skok.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Bmastro777 wrote:The thread goes on to say the kid is a tribal member....is it legal for Indians to snag fish?
I asked one of the wardens down on the skok that a few years ago. he said they get they're 50% however they want

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:24 pm

looking at that video, and seeing it in person as well as the nets, I am willing to bet they get a crap load more then 50%.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm

that's how all the indian kids fish down there, I would rather have a gill net every 30 yards than that and drift netting, complete bull crap and to think he thinks he is bad a$$ by snagging salmon like that is also bull crap. same crap goes on at the quilcene. Not saying it is only Indians but it is unethical and completely shuts down the bite for the ethical fisherman let alone scares scares the fish into the tiniest of places where no one can catch them. I would send that video to someone that could make a difference, I don't know who but I have really had enough of it.

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:23 pm

I talked to someone on the Skookumchuck yesterday and mentioned this video. Said he knows who the kid is, those fish he's tossing in the ditch will be picked up by his dad later and sold for catfood for spending money for the kid. He said the kid is one of the rare ones over there that doesn't crowd anyone and will move to give people on the other side of the river room.

Not saying I agree with the practices involved but it's not as wasteful as it seems and there's alot worse trouble that kid could be getting into.