Why coon shrimp?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HoytDaddy_6
Angler

Why coon shrimp?

Post by HoytDaddy_6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:29 pm

I have heard of quite a few people floating coon shrimp or coon shrimp with eggs for salmon. Can you use regular shrimp or cure regular shrimp and float those?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Why coon shrimp?

Post by natetreat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Yes. I've never floated coon shrimp, only used normal white shrimp from fred meyer. Big bag for 7 bucks. I use coon shrimp on divers, they look more realistic with all the tentacles and stuff, I here they're better for that, and my experience seems to indicate that they are.

HoytDaddy_6
Angler

Post by HoytDaddy_6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:28 pm

That will save me some money then! Thank you natetreat.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 pm

They're an all all around better bait than your run of the mill shrimp. Steelhead prey on coon stripe shrimp on the salt when they mature and prepare for the journey to their natal systems. I suggest the cured store bought version. It's cheaper than buying pounds of coon shrimp and curing them yourself, unless your a coon shrimp freak like myself.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 am

Salmon will bite the regular shrimp from the grocery store all day long if shrimp is what they want that day.....
dont know about
steelhead......

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:46 am

natetreat wrote:Yes. I've never floated coon shrimp, only used normal white shrimp from fred meyer. Big bag for 7 bucks. I use coon shrimp on divers, they look more realistic with all the tentacles and stuff, I here they're better for that, and my experience seems to indicate that they are.
Like Nate, I've always had the best luck with plain old grocery store shrimp.
I buy them from the butcher block at Albertsons because I usually only buy a handful at a time. Make sure you ask them if they have any that are getting old and need to go. If you are friendly and tell the person what you are using them for, there's a very good chance you'll get them for 50% off. Last time I got five big shrimp for about 60 cents.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:41 am

Fishinfreak told me last year to use store bought prawns. I was skeptical till I tried them on the Snoqualmie in Jan last year. The first day day I tried them I caught a beautiful native steel (released) and a Dolly (released). White prawns are all i use anymore.As far as coon shrimp goes. they are native to our sound. I eat them. I get them all steamed and iced at the drive in on the way to Deception pass.

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 am

any special way to cure or treat the shrip or just defrost and rock and roll?

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Store bought cure should suffice. Whatever your fave is. I'm currently using Fire Cure, but will also be trying Pro Cure in the near future.

kyamukun
Petty Officer

Post by kyamukun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:24 pm

was about to ask how to cure and bait the shrimp then found this article:

http://www.theoutdoorline.com/blog/2013 ... ternative/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thoughts? additional tips?