Silver Season Over?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Re: Silver Season Over?

Post by Bmastro777 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Trust me, if I twitched a jig in this hole I would snag one every cast :(

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:34 pm

If you are snagging them you are not doing it right. With the exception of right as the jig hits the water(and there is a fish there) you should not be foul hooking the fish anymore then with a dick nite or spinner. When twitching jigs you only want the jig to hop along the bottom(and it pisses off the coho)they hit it on the drop....just a twitch of the wrist NOT a hook set. Give it a try and you will see how effective it is and how few fish are foul hooked.

dadamunky
Petty Officer

Post by dadamunky » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:45 pm

That's crazy B. It is that stacked with fish?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:01 pm

goodtimesfishing wrote:If you are snagging them you are not doing it right. With the exception of right as the jig hits the water(and there is a fish there) you should not be foul hooking the fish anymore then with a dick nite or spinner. When twitching jigs you only want the jig to hop along the bottom(and it pisses off the coho)they hit it on the drop....just a twitch of the wrist NOT a hook set. Give it a try and you will see how effective it is and how few fish are foul hooked.
i have to say thats not exactly true. When i twitch for coho, i twitch pretty hard, they are much more attracted to an erratic, fast popping motion up, and then bite on the fall. If you twitch a jig correctly in a large school of coho, you will foul hook way too many. It is a deadly effective way to catch coho, but when they are so thick and not hungry, foul hooking is a huge problem, where a spinner or spoon rarely snags one. Has happened to me a bunch with this low water, if they are aggressive one bites before you can foul hook them, but if they are lockjaw, and thick, it is very easy to foul hook them, just happened to me yesterday on the coast, couldnt twitch for coho period because there were so many CHUM that i fouled one every cast. frustrating
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes, me and fishenfreak share the same method for coho twitching. Its deadly when fish are biting. And dadamunky you know exactly where Im talking about and and it rhymes with squermin hole.

dadamunky
Petty Officer

Post by dadamunky » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Damn those fish are still there? That is crazy..I've seen it though, you are 100% correct, the squermin hole fish don't bite nothing but are stacked in there ridiculously thick. I've sat there and watch 50 fish roll and think I was gonna catch something...nope.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:12 pm

ya, I tried for 3 hours with roe and nodda :/

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Lol I know where your talking about Bmastro. The hole ain't a secret... But they are willing to take eggs in the first hours of light! got 7 out of there acoulple on jigs and rest on bobber and eggs. Everything in that hole is way too dark to keep. Wait till the rain comes and it will be on fire for it.
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
goodtimesfishing wrote:If you are snagging them you are not doing it right. With the exception of right as the jig hits the water(and there is a fish there) you should not be foul hooking the fish anymore then with a dick nite or spinner. When twitching jigs you only want the jig to hop along the bottom(and it pisses off the coho)they hit it on the drop....just a twitch of the wrist NOT a hook set. Give it a try and you will see how effective it is and how few fish are foul hooked.
i have to say thats not exactly true. When i twitch for coho, i twitch pretty hard, they are much more attracted to an erratic, fast popping motion up, and then bite on the fall. If you twitch a jig correctly in a large school of coho, you will foul hook way too many. It is a deadly effective way to catch coho, but when they are so thick and not hungry, foul hooking is a huge problem, where a spinner or spoon rarely snags one. Has happened to me a bunch with this low water, if they are aggressive one bites before you can foul hook them, but if they are lockjaw, and thick, it is very easy to foul hook them, just happened to me yesterday on the coast, couldnt twitch for coho period because there were so many CHUM that i fouled one every cast. frustrating
I've caught dozens this year and I haven't foul hooked any. I think I did last year though. Keep it above their heads and foul hooking won't be an issue, they only see forward and up anyways.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:43 pm

NFCustom wrote:
I've caught dozens this year and I haven't foul hooked any. I think I did last year though. Keep it above their heads and foul hooking won't be an issue, they only see forward and up anyways.
yea i try as best as possible, but i am talking about trying to twitch in a backwater with literally, literally 1000+ chum and coho. When they are lockjaw it is practically impossible not to foul hook fish here and there, the more fish in the hole, the worse it gets, and with this low water, all the fish are stuck in the deepest pools, and foul hooking on twitching jigs has been a problem for me. Before the high water, we were hitting dozens a day without foul hooking anything. its this low water, making it tough

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Only ones I have foul hooked this year was right when the jig hit the water and my pole would almost get ripped out of my hand. One guy fishing by me was doing the old "hook set twitch" and he never got one in the mouth while I was there. I think he reeled in 4 or 5 to my 2(limit) but none of his in the mouth. When they are piled up thick or not, I find that the twitch that moves the jig about 6 to 8 inches at a time is the most deadly and leads to the least amount of foul hooked fish. I am not looking to foul hook several fish just to get one in the mouth, that is snagging not fishing.

I feel it is kind of the same story as flossing fish......you can watch a fisherman(or fisherwoman) and tell what there intentions are within say 5 casts. Does not matter what you call it, does not change what it is. If you are snagging more fish then you are getting to bite your set up........I would say your not fishing.

I notice most vids on internet on twitching seem to be twitches not hooksets maybe I am missing something....

Just my opinion. Sorry if this offends anyone, just my opinion and my opinion is just that my opinion and we all have our own opinions.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Alright time to chime in.

Ive been twitching for Coho since i learned about it in Alaska, I think that would be '04 or '05. I was taught to hold the rod at about 9 o'clock and move it maybe 6 inches, and not like a hookset. just enough to give it a lift. Now this is with braid, mono you might have to go to 7-8". Under no circumstances have I ever used the humpie/hookset twitch. I can bet if a gamie watches you do that and watches you bring a few fish in backwards your gonna get a ticket.

For Coho I have some rabbit fur jigs in various weights and colors 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and anything from lime green to orange to solid black. These work fine for aggressive fish. Now with low water and lock jaw fish Ill share a little trick that I learned in AK. Go get yourself some 3/8 jig heads and some 4" curly tail grubs in some natural colors. Try the above mentioned twitching method, and put on a clinic when even the flossers cant hit a fish.

A hard twitch thru lock jaw fish will do nothing good, all its gonna do is spook them and really shut them down. Low and clear, Nice and slow. Hope this helps

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:Alright time to chime in.

Ive been twitching for Coho since i learned about it in Alaska, I think that would be '04 or '05. I was taught to hold the rod at about 9 o'clock and move it maybe 6 inches, and not like a hookset. just enough to give it a lift. Now this is with braid, mono you might have to go to 7-8". Under no circumstances have I ever used the humpie/hookset twitch. I can bet if a gamie watches you do that and watches you bring a few fish in backwards your gonna get a ticket.

For Coho I have some rabbit fur jigs in various weights and colors 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and anything from lime green to orange to solid black. These work fine for aggressive fish. Now with low water and lock jaw fish Ill share a little trick that I learned in AK. Go get yourself some 3/8 jig heads and some 4" curly tail grubs in some natural colors. Try the above mentioned twitching method, and put on a clinic when even the flossers cant hit a fish.

A hard twitch thru lock jaw fish will do nothing good, all its gonna do is spook them and really shut them down. Low and clear, Nice and slow. Hope this helps
EXACTLY!
Foul hooking fish should not be a problem, when done correctly, at least not any more then the other methods, rather its a spinner, dick nite, spoons, ect.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Yup you do not want to lift to rod really high when twitching. The coho lose sight of the jig when it moves so far so fast. You want to twitch fast and sharp but not much more than a foot on the rod tip. Im just saying if your fishing a giant school of coho you cant twitch a jig or you will foul hook too many. Usually only a problem in lower water in upper river holes where they keg up. Just cant twitch without snagging em. Never a problem in main river systems or big water, but i was just on the coast fishing a small pool with 500 chum and 250 coho and twitching was just not possible. Where as a spinner usually bounced off the chum and didnt foul em

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm

fishenfreak wrote: but i was just on the coast fishing a small pool with 500 chum and 250 coho and twitching was just not possible. Where as a spinner usually bounced off the chum and didnt foul em
Where was my invite?! [flapper]

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:
fishenfreak wrote: but i was just on the coast fishing a small pool with 500 chum and 250 coho and twitching was just not possible. Where as a spinner usually bounced off the chum and didnt foul em
Where was my invite?! [flapper]

It was a scout trip! Lol. Now what your gonna want to do is head out there with me after the rain. Although we did well, there were tons of fish lockjaw cause of the bone dry flows. The rain will be epic

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:25 pm

I WANT IN!!! [thumbsup]

kromekrusher
Petty Officer

Post by kromekrusher » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Me too!! =P~

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:35 pm

i will probably do a few guide weeks in November down there, gonna watch the rain then send out an email to everyone about available dates [thumbsup]

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 am

Im gonna be to busy looking for Steelhead come Nov 3!