Silver Season Over?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

Re: Silver Season Over?

Post by DannyL » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:37 am

We hit fish in the sunset hours last night on samish. There's fish, but like Eamon said, gotta catch the dark ones to get to the chromers.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 am

what number catch cards are you guys on?

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:04 am

I'm on my 2nd. Should fill it today
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:39 am

DannyL wrote:I'm on my 2nd. Should fill it today
seriously? with your stats, it seems like you should atleast be on your 4th. I am half way done with my 4th catch card and chums haven't even really started yet for me.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:50 pm

How can anyone be on more than card #2? I have a hell of a time fitting 25 or so fish (average salmon/ steelhead) in my standup freezer in my garage with an average amount of other food in there as well. I give few away to family and friends. Do you give a bunch of it away to family/friends? Or maybe just have a very big chest freezer? Or more than one freezer?

I personally never really go past my first punchcard, not because I cant catch more but because I cant eat that much fish. I also don't feel it necessary to give a ton of it away to family/friends that have not paid their fair share into the system ie. licenses and tags that help pay for said resource. Past me giving away a dinner or two, my extended family and friends can go buy a license and I will be more than happy to take them out and get them some fish.

Not trying to be preachy but it seems like unnecessary stress on an already strained resource.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:13 pm

mallard83 wrote:How can anyone be on more than card #2? I have a hell of a time fitting 25 or so fish (average salmon/ steelhead) in my standup freezer in my garage with an average amount of other food in there as well. I give few away to family and friends. Do you give a bunch of it away to family/friends? Or maybe just have a very big chest freezer? Or more than one freezer?

I personally never really go past my first punchcard, not because I cant catch more but because I cant eat that much fish. I also don't feel it necessary to give a ton of it away to family/friends that have not paid their fair share into the system ie. licenses and tags that help pay for said resource. Past me giving away a dinner or two, my extended family and friends can go buy a license and I will be more than happy to take them out and get them some fish.

Not trying to be preachy but it seems like unnecessary stress on an already strained resource.
How else are we gonna get our steelhead eggs? I give a bunch away. My family and friends seem to enjoy and appreciate it. I'd rather them get it from me then spend 30 bucks at Haggen. But hey maybe we are just nicer than you...just joking!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:21 pm

I eat a lot of salmon, I love the stuff. we also smoke a lot. We give away a lot as ell both uncooked and smoked. Also for the need of eggs come steelhead season or even next summer. Also I am competitive with my friends, we try and see how many we can get, I have a friend that is on his 6th catch card who eats and gives a lot of way. I only keep fresh fish, if it ain't chrome, it ain't coming home. unless it is a king out of certain rivers or a slightly colored coho, no boot chums or pinks. I have only punched 6 pinks and 1 chum this year the rest are kings and coho

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Was just curious that's all. Everybody does it different. Do what you will as long as it is within this states crazy rules and regulations. :salut:

The Nuts
Petty Officer

Post by The Nuts » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:29 am

Hit the banks of the snohomish at the 522 bridge yesterday around 2pm. Only a few anglers out with me. landed a 10lb silver within 20 min. fished till 4:30 and called it a good day!

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:07 am

There are some HUGE FISHin right now. Fishing the woody stuff hard yesterday and crackered off some bigguns. Went home with a nice buck at around 10 pounds probably, didnt weigh it.

kromekrusher
Petty Officer

Post by kromekrusher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:17 am

Mallard is right. People get greedy and focus on the wrong thing like filling cards and taking daily pictures with their limits and bragging. I haven't even filled one card, and I am done killing salmon for the season! I wish the state would cut fish hogs off on their 2nd card. Nobody needs more than 50 salmon!!!!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 am

I smell some jealousy maybe?

I eat salmon 2-3 times a week, so I fill my freezer so I can eat Salmon year around. Between getting as many eater fish as I can and getting enough eggs for Steelhead and springers Thats a lot of meat. Do I waste it? hell no. It gets eaten. I just don't get how someone who fishes to feed themselves is a "fish hog"

P.s. Bragging is half the fun of fishing, lighten up and try it out

](*,)

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am

Dont really think jealousy has anything to do with it. I eat alot of fish as well but I also let alot of fish go. Its perfectly legal so do what you will I for one just take home what ineed to fill my little freezer and cnr. I dont like the govt telling people how much they need of anything but 8f everybody filled up four cards I have a feeling our seasons would be a lot shorter.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am

spoonman wrote:Dont really think jealousy has anything to do with it. I eat alot of fish as well but I also let alot of fish go. Its perfectly legal so do what you will I for one just take home what ineed to fill my little freezer and cnr. I dont like the govt telling people how much they need of anything but 8f everybody filled up four cards I have a feeling our seasons would be a lot shorter.
That's pretty much what I was getting at, you probably just worded it a bit better than I. And there is absolutely no jealousy on my end. I catch plenty, don't feel a need to overly brag and make others feel like crap that have a hard time to even touch just one fish all season.

kromekrusher
Petty Officer

Post by kromekrusher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. I have no trouble catching fish. I have 23 punches on my card, and about a hundred pounds of boneless vacuum packed portions in the freezer, which is more than enough for me, my friends and family. I know when I have enough, and that is a good time to stop bringing them home. Yes, it's perfectly legal to kill as many as you want. It's also legal to be a jerk to strangers, but that doesn't make it right.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:42 am

I don't see a reason for labeling and name calling. We get a shot at Salmon for a few weeks each year that are chrome bright and good for the taking. I'm gonna take all I can get!

And when the livelihood of your business relies on showing people just how good the fishing is, it pays to show off a little.

Sorry if I peed on anyone's boots with that post, just kinda felt like maybe somethings should have been worded different

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm

No worries 360, your pee missed my boots. Spoonman said it well for me. I feel it is very hard to convey the exact point one is trying to make when typing it from a keyboard. Sometimes stuff just sounds more harsh than someone means it to be.

No ill will here. Good luck and tight lines.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Hey it's still all about hav'in fun making money or not. Now I don't believe anyone posted rules for the most tagged fish contest on the WDFW site so, there will be no winner. Conversely, if you feel, you've put up enough for the long winters we have, great! More spawners the better. I really don't see what's wrong, strut'in with a thumb in the arm pit is, wish I could a little more, it's all in how ya do it. Wish I just had more spare time to get out this year but work and family have paid a big toll on fish'in time. If ya feel life aint worth liv'in because ya only got one or two cards filled, I feel sorry for ya, Its all about hav'in fun. Now believe it or not there is more to life than just fishing.

I gotta say I agree, no name calling outside the bounds of friendly razzing and good taste. Remember the tally at the end of the big game is the important one. Do ya get through the pearly gates, do you come back as something better than a cockroach or even just your legacy after someone kicks dirt on your dead @ss face. It's up to all of us to decide, how we make it happen.

Have fun!!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:41 pm

ooooook. So fishing has been tough lately! When the fish have bunched up (coho) in a hole and aren't going up or down river, is there any way to get them to bite? Also should mention that visibility is very good for them right now in about 3-4 ft of water. I've ran into a couple holes and cant get these guys to bite. Do we need rain to make them more active? Its tough leaving a hole full of fish to go somewhere else....but I cant get them to bite so I should go to a different spot and see if theres a travel lane? Do they bite better in a travel lane when the water is this low/clear?

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Bmastro777 wrote:ooooook. So fishing has been tough lately! When the fish have bunched up (coho) in a hole and aren't going up or down river, is there any way to get them to bite? Also should mention that visibility is very good for them right now in about 3-4 ft of water. I've ran into a couple holes and cant get these guys to bite. Do we need rain to make them more active? Its tough leaving a hole full of fish to go somewhere else....but I cant get them to bite so I should go to a different spot and see if theres a travel lane? Do they bite better in a travel lane when the water is this low/clear?
Twitch jigs!!!!!! If they are there in any numbers and you twitch jigs you will get them. Now with that said I did get the big skunk on the stilly today for the first time this year. I did see a few jump but not like last week. For the last two weeks I have walked out with limits everyday while fishing with several others who threw everything in the box at them with not a bite. When they stop hitting spinners, dick nites, and such, it is time to break out the twitching jigs and it will be fish on!! If you have not tried it, try it you will like it!